Explosion Mechanics

Reaction score
    What happens when a missle impacts a hull? I can see rocket damage through missle computer, 300, for example. How does this damage distribute among the primary block (being impacted) and the surrounding blocks?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As far as I understand it, it should deal all damage to the hit block, reduce the damage by armour% and continue to the next touching blocks.
    But I think to remember to have seen an extra value for explosion dampening to hull blocks without armour.

When actually doing an explosion, I often see that the crater-border has heavily damaged blocks and the one behind is damaged also, but not as badly.
    The larger the hole, the thinner the border of only-damaged blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    about 1/2 the damage is lost on impact because it applies damage equally in all directions. So if its a flat surface, you will only get about 1/2 the total damage applied to blocks. Not sure if this changes when they hit shields or not though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For now the damage radiates out from the impact point. So if you hit a flat plate as Sgtwisky said half damage radiates back from the impact block and does nothing. The damage radiates (this is a key word) in an expanding sphere equally divided in all directions.

As that damage hits shielded blocks that damage goes to the shields. So hitting a flat plate will put half the missile damage against the shields unless the shields aren't strong enough to completely stop it.

If unshielded as the blast radiates out from the centre block, that damage hits blocks and is reduced in that direction by the damage that block absorbs be it hit points or armour. The damage in that direction if there is any remaining continue on to the next block. If the blasts hits a section of blocks with the same HP or armour etc it will form a half sphere crater it does enough damage. With different materials with different hit points or armour ratings the damage will be absorbed in different amounts in different directions which means your dont going to get a nicely defined half sphere crater.

Advanced armour with punch and piece defence effects maxed require 4000 damage to kill a block while the armour HP is still remaining. So small rockets won't scratch it much.

Since the blast radiates out, if the blocks between you and the explosion was enough to absorb the damage, even if your in the total blast radius you won't be hurt as long as you were behind the blocks that absorbed the hit.

There is apparently also the semi weird situation when the blast is enough to drop the shields with some extra. What will happen is the damage that hits the hull plate first (closest to the centre of the blast) will be absorbed by the shields then when the shields fail blocks further from the centre point start taking damage. This results in the funny situation where the block hit by the missile survives and there is a donut like crater around it depending on the amount of damage left over after shields and the material of the hull surface.

The explosive effect with cannon or beam will divide its damage evenly between the impact block and the max of 5 extra adjacent blocks assuming 100% explosive effect on the cannon or beam.

In the case of spaced hulls the damage will cross the space gap. The remaining damage after taking out the hull continues to radiate out from the centre point. But as the damage radiates out further damage weakens as it spreads out but will still impact the next set of blocks.

This is one of the mechanics that isn't easy for me to explain with text but I hope this is clear enough.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    about 1/2 the damage is lost on impact because it applies damage equally in all directions. So if its a flat surface, you will only get about 1/2 the total damage applied to blocks. Not sure if this changes when they hit shields or not though.
    This does not change when shields are hit, however it should be noted that issiles also do double base damage in order to account for this.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What I was told on here is they basically used a ray trace algorithm. Which is why it is slow that was implemented when they mad the big change to how missiles did damage.
    I recently put a suggestion in that would give them as accurate effects but is much faster to run and has far fewer computations.
    Better and faster explosion calculations