Better and faster explosion calculations

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    One of the things I noticed is that explosion calculations can take forever. That when large numbers of missiles are fired the explosions can still be calculated for a long time after firing. This in part has to do with the limit the game has created to deal with the burden of calculations being so intensive.

To my understanding the developers went with a form of ray traced explosions.

My suggestion is to move to a pressure wave based system. It should be much faster and give equal or better explosive damage effects.

The second image is of a lot larger scale pressure wave.
    The damage extent can be adjust easily by simply selecting what block size of damage will be used.
    Also effects of damage will greatly change depending on what is hit. The images below are all based on hitting nothing but hull. Obviously the effect would be different for different block types.
    Another option would be to take the average block size of nearby blocks and use that rather than the original determining block damage size.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What happens to multiple entities?
    What happens to a checker-board armour if a hull block is hit and a checker-board hull if adv armour is hit?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It definitely doesn't use raytracing. There is a file called missile.dat. I'm guessing its probably all pre-calculated and a table is used to map data onto the block array. Its actually already pretty fast. I would suggest with that much knowledge you take a whack at making a toy program first.