Example: Universe Wide Event

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I was driving home and pondering what kind of event might bring together a whole server. Rip it to shreads and hope it inspires some great late gameplay options.

A quick overview:
    There should be a way to have your NPC citizens do archelogical digs. Almost like research, but specifically having them search planets. This will play into another idea I'll post later. Every server tick there would be a chance to find an "alien artifact." This artifact is part of a bigger structure. This sturcture would be modeled like a DeathStar or Metal Planet (planetary annhilation). The structure is then randomly spawned in the universe. Along with 11 (12 because of teh number of sides on our planets.) other artifacts spread randomly between all factions NPC and player. You'll need to collect these unique pieces to power and start the mega-structure.

There a few keys to this idea. One, is that each piece should spawn in different faction territories. Two that the mega structure is useful by itself but the main laser has a finite quantity of uses, and if destroyed cannot be rebuilt. The planet should probably have a natural power generation or other passive buffs.

This particular structure should be able to jump, but it should not be able to move. Its laser has a range of an entire system, and anything in its way.

Starting the digs:
    I don't particularly care about the interface to start the digs. I'm sure there is a way to do it that fits within the current mechanics and future mechanics of NPCs. The more npcs you have, the more digs and other stuff we can do. I think the digs should do other things but I'll post about that later

Collection of the artifacts:
    You should need to scan for the artifacts, and the artifacts should show up on any random planet. Some people will think this would be odd, but really it'll be like simulating a larger planet. We are still discovering things about our planet in real life. Why couldn't we find cool stuff on our planets long after we colonize them!

Its essential that the artifacts are spread evenly across factions. Spawning wars, deals and territory movement.

The structure:
    The final moment is when you add the reactor cores to each plate on the structure. The planet comes alive, and enables firing of the weapon. The weapon should only have a few shots, enough that its worth going through the effort to find each of the reactor cores and fight for them, but the planet should also be able to warp in. It should also have a warm up time. Enough time that someone could attempt to mobilize a fleet to stop it.

The takeaway:
    While I'm in love with this particular event. I think things like it could really bring server gameplay to a whole level even with the npc factions. I'd love to hear what you guys think or if you have any other ideas similar that could fall under this.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You seem to assume not more than 12 factions.
    Is it a 1-shot planet-killer laser?
    How do you want to find an artefact another faction has hidden 8000 jumps away from spawn? Should parts locate each other?

Once ago I played a game which had rainbow-colour bubbles in each sector.

Most peoples just die when they enter them, but a few chosen ones don't. They have a wish free what's inside these bubbles - even dead friends!
    But there is an alien species which uses these special humans to "stabilize" the universe and then wipe it from life with giant evil ships, in order to draw all the energy from that universe.
    These bubbles give me the idea that, when a server starts up freshly, the universe could have bubbles with 1 community content ship each. The larger it is, the larger the community-content package you can spawn in it.

An alien faction could spawn a gate network and when the first one discovers one of these gates, all factions get a message about the contest for these bubbles. Especially useful if the server disabled uploads.​
    Maybe this helps to expand your idea.