Escape pods

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So with the advent of the idea of torpedoes and rails and logic I decided it wouldn't be impossible to build a self-launching escape pod. As it turns out building the mechanism and getting it to work is far from difficult, however getting the pod to go where I want it to go has proven to be a challenge.

At first I tried building the pod in a tight tube that fit securely around the edges of the pod. This resulted in massive collision glitches post-undocking.

Then I tried building the pod in a tube with one block of space on every side (excluding the bottom, where it was docked). This time the undock went smoothly but the pod moved around inside the tube and as a result the push beam I use to propel it out of the tube ended up pushing it all over the tube because it hit a block that was not in the center of the pod and applied forceto that side, causing it to spin around.

Next, I tried to build the pod with the rail docker on the back side instead of the bottom in hopes that this would remedy the problem. This time the pod came out of the tube but was still spinning uncontrollably. At this point some of you might ask "why don't you just put engines on the pod?" and my answer is because I've never seen an escape pod have propulsion of its own and I would like to be able to sit down in my pod, push a button and be launched out into space without any further input.

So now I ask if any of the bright minds here on the forums have found a way to make escape pods fly on a relatively smooth trajectory out of the ship instead of spinning out of control at 720 degrees per second.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It's possible to make warp pods! Getting a logic clock linked to a jump drive (can just be one block, the pod will take power from the ship) will make it so that the pod will initiate a jump the moment it undocks, assuming the jump drive is charged (should be if you leave the clock on).

While it does take you away from danger pretty damn fast it might also land you somewhere unpleasant, such as the middle of a sun. Use at your own risk :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That same clock could also power a push passive on the pod itself and doesn't have to be left on.

You might also try having it slide out of the ship on rails before hitting it with the beam.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would suggest having the pod on a platform that flips 180 degrees. Rotation on rails is far faster than moving by rails. If the push beam is on the main ship body it will pass through the platform to push you after you undock. I also recommend having multiple pods setup. Each have a remote control on board that would through wireless links undock, activate the push beam and also activate a push effect on the pod. It should also trigger all the other pods so the others will act as decoys. Cleaning up might be an issue. Make them black and put a radar jammer on them to help with survivability. Since jump inhibitors work, it will be difficult to escape in a jumping escape pod. Use a weapon/pulse/push to get maximum boost in limited time and use the push effect on the pod to keep it at cruising speed. You might need to make the push weapon part of the rotating platform as the main ship is likely to be overheating and not have power available though the push effect on the pod would still work.

Maybe include a interlinked wireless connection to a warhead in each. But you need to disconnect your pod from activating it. That way you can clean up after....

All of the above is what I'm planning on putting into my ship. The last thing it will do is activate the built in traps. Logic still works while a ship is overheating. But no power can be used for weapons but logic activated warhead traps would still work. Also if the hostiles board and reset it the traps are still active.....

Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    I have a few designs I've been working on. I'll try and post them when I get home from work. One is a small 3x3x3 one person escape pod and one is an 18 person escape shuttle. Both come with launchers that will "eject" the pod/shuttle when it decouples from the launcher using a push beam. I did have some problems during development getting them to launch straight, but I worked them out. The escape shuttle has a USD compatible docking collar for wither linking with another escape shuttle or docking to a ship or station.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I just figured it out. I took the push beam completely out of the equation and now use a push effect that is on the pod itself. This is much better because even though the pod still floats around a bit inside the tube after undocking, it no longer relies on a static beam that is liable to hit an off-center block. It is simply pushed in the direction it is facing, which is generally straight out of the ship and into space. While it does still hit the side and rotate a bit every couple of launches, the speed of the rotation has been drastically reduced and IMO looks a bit realistic.

Big thanks to everyone who replied because prior to now I had no idea the push effect computer could operate on its own.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I just figured it out. I took the push beam completely out of the equation and now use a push effect that is on the pod itself. This is much better because even though the pod still floats around a bit inside the tube after undocking, it no longer relies on a static beam that is liable to hit an off-center block. It is simply pushed in the direction it is facing, which is generally straight out of the ship and into space. While it does still hit the side and rotate a bit every couple of launches, the speed of the rotation has been drastically reduced and IMO looks a bit realistic.

Big thanks to everyone who replied because prior to now I had no idea the push effect computer could operate on its own.
    Yep, push with logic has interesting uses. I once built a 'rocket' that used push effect to fly, and even had a second stage that detaches and flies off on its own...

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I was bored, this is the result:

• Self-charging logic jump-drive, meaning that it warps out as soon as it undocks. Can be turned on/off.
    • Self-powered
    • 6% overdrive and 4/3 thrust/weight ratio in case the enemy has inhibitors.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Blodge