Edit BPs in Shipyard

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Currently imagining how nice it would be if you plug a BP or schematic into a functional shipyard computer and literally edit it. Meaning, go into an edit mode, click on "Blue Basic Armor" where it needs 127,000 units of that, and then use a dropdown to change the item type to "Brown Advanced Armor" because you have a ton of that and want to change out the hull. Then when the BP is spawned or built in yard, it would be exactly as saved but all the blocks of one kind have been replaced with the other.

Might be a nightmare to code, but would streamline shipbuilding and remediate the dreaded half-filled BP with old docking modules on it problem.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    That would be part of it, but also the ability to literally be able to swap out blocks in the blueprint. Like an editable version of the BP Info screen.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been wanting this for a long time. I don't think it would be that difficult to add a replace block button to the materials list. But, you can't access the materials list in the Shipyard computer unless you actually start constructing the design, so that needs fixing as well.

Also, I don't think you should even need the shipyard to just do a global materials swap. The Astronaut's personal data pad should be more than capable of editing a shopping list.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Also, I don't think you should even need the shipyard to just do a global materials swap. The Astronaut's personal data pad should be more than capable of editing a shopping list.
    This was my initial thought as well. I ended up feeling like it breaks immersion too much though; using an in-game tech like the shipyard makes more contextual sense. Either would be fine though!

Reactions: Valck

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Especially for armor/chambers, it would be nice if we had PH_Placeholder and it can be replaced with what somebody wants.
    The PH_Placeholder could even be renameable to PH_TopChamber or PH_HullDeco3rd.

Perhaps, you can even build a ship and the PH_X blocks are generic scaffold/meshes which can afterward be replaced by blocks when you get them step-by-step while maintaining their PH_X-group integer.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    I also heavily wish they could implement some kind of paint tool that could swap blocks of the same type but a different color.

Reactions: MacThule and JNC