Eden Hall

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Factions need not always fight, or keep an eye on each other suspiciously when interacting. This shall be a gathering, a place dedicated to interaction and social tradings!

[Brace for the big post. It’s going to be quite a long read if you’re interested]
    [Edits will appear as the idea develops and/or progress]

Pursuing my undying love for stations and giving them a purpose, I throw out there a wild fantasy of mine.
    Factions need not always fight, or keep an eye on each other suspiciously. Members of different factions are free to befriends and maintain good relationships and partnerships with members of another faction! Of course, individual laws may differ from faction to faction, but members are always free of respecting these or not. Their own discretion, and discretion, is a big part of this project!

This shall be a gathering, a place dedicated to interaction and social tradings! ...of shady nature. Shops? These are exposed, well known locations. Not especially the best choice if you're trying to sell *cough*faction*cough* secrets or trading some rare material for more than just raw credits. Perhaps are you even selling services of the more shadowy nature... Looking at you, bounty hunters, mercs.

Or perhaps, some adventurers will seek a pause on their travel, or a meeting point to meet other people, perhaps new companions! Have a blast, that sort of thing.

You're getting the general picture here, guys. I present you Eden's Hall.

I have an actual plan with this, but nothing more than half a dozen sketches right now. Eden Hall is a station-based bar at its core. It's also more than that! Many services/use and elements are on the drawing board. It will likely find its place more in a RP server, but any public servers interested by the idea are free to pronounce themselves.

The idea behind the Hall is for a common, neutral ground other than shop, dedicated to people’s enjoyment and business. It plans to offer, amongst other things, the following services and opportunities:

• A gathering and neutral ground.
    • A meeting point.
    • Dedicated quarters and dockings.
    • Partnerships and affiliations.
    • Banking/Storage.
    • Diplomatic Asylum.

To go further on each point;

A gathering and neutral ground:
    where customers are free of any faction loyalty or obligations. Obviously, Eden Hall leaves policies concerning the matter to the factions’ discretion. Eden Hall is not responsible for the actions of its customers and esteemed clients and/or loss of faction property and/or intelligence matters. An “ambiance” bar will be the center of the main station, providing places to meet and discuss, or just take a breather while eying what others may have achieved and brought along. This part is obviously more interesting for RP servers.

A meeting point:
    More especially a trading point, where people can talk business and speak cash eye-to-eye rather than meet somewhere in the middle of space (where no one can come save you) or when attention is not desired. As of now shops are plentiful, but in some RP servers or when the economy gets balanced, player-to-player trading should become more frequent, if not unavoidable.

Dedicated quarters and dockings:
    That’s right. Spaces for docking, storage and rooms to use up to the clients’ own discretion are planned to be available. Obviously, not all of those spots will be restricted (such as ship dockings, obviously). Continued with next point.

Partnerships and affiliation:
    This one’s a big, essential point. It concerns factions in particular. The Hall will obviously need protection, or backing of some sort in order to operate. Especially during its construction, the Hall will need support. Note however, that this does not imply any financial or material involvement for the factions involved. However, this/these initial supporting faction will earn preferential treatments, such as free (more on that later) quarters and docking areas. The faction’s colors will also be present one way or another and visible on/in the station. Partnerships with other factions will be crucial and essential for the success of the Hall, as it will benefit from visibility and implicit protection from potential, low-tier threats such as common raids. After all, it’d be risky going in guns blazing in a sector crawling with many representatives from many different powers. No actual action other than being there is therefore required on the factions’ part.
    After the Hall is up and running, a new dynamic will begin concerning faction-dedicated areas. A small “fee” will be required in order for factions to have their own, private docking stations (which they will be free to occupy as they wish). Although not all docking platforms will be restricted around the Hall, some will be protected by faction modules (initially the Hall’s). These areas will be better located and offer greater flexibility (dock larger ships, more of them, etc.). Since there is not proper way to actually exchange credits (yet), the small ‘fee’ will be in raw materials (or anything the buyer deems appropriate.) This fee is purely symbolic and for the sake of not saying “first come, first served.” The Hall desires to inform that they remain free to “rebuy” the rented areas, by giving back equal payment. The Hall however engages itself to warn and negotiate the matter with the concerned clients. Reasons for buy back may be: a better offer from someone else, a lack of presence on the faction’s part, or any other reason the staff may see fit (inappropriate behaviors / actions onboard the Hall or in its vicinity).

As for freelancers and rogues, lone wolves and group-less mercenaries, the Hall offers a similar kind of service, along with a private storage and room for those individual customers. In order to protect their spots, they will be granted Eden Hall Membership, and be able to dock in the Hall’s restricted areas. Note however, that a member of a faction may not benefit from this service.

Banking and Storage:
    Still in the “maybe” bin, a storage and lending service is in the plan. Storage: In the event the Hall can figure out the best possible way to protect its clients’ possessions. Obviously, a secure method of recording is in order to keep track of each individual’s possessions and to protect our esteemed clients from fraud. Currently planned system goes as follow. When “depositing” any possessions, the customer will be asked to place all the desired deposit in a temporary storage box in presence of a Hall staff member. He is then asked to take a picture of the contents of the storage box. He will then post this picture, along with his name, personal authorization and understandings, in a public post (possibly this forum, or else where the Hall won’t have full control, to avoid potential fraud accusations). After reviewing and confirming this “receipt”, the Hall staff member will take the deposited belongings and move them to the safe and hidden area. Lending: What would all those piles of resources accomplish by just staying there forever? If the storage service knows enough success and grows sufficiently, the Hall plans on opening a loaning services to its customer, with a proof-method similar to the one of storage, with the addition of a time limit to return the loan. Policies: The Hall wants to warn its esteemed customers that without confirmation posts, the Hall takes no engagement to return any belongings out of speculation on the client’s part. Make sure you keep proof of your deposits. Thank you. In the event of a loss caused by exterior actions (raids or theft), the Hall will provide compensation ranging between half of the deposit’s value. Negotiations and discussion will apply to each individual case. In the event the Hall is unable to return belongings for internal reasons, it engages itself to provide equal compensation or (with a delay enough to get the things) gather the missing belongings on its own to return them. On the other side of the road, in the case a client who was loaned resources cannot provide them at the end of the determined time delay, the Hall reserves the right to take action by any means it deems appropriate.

Diplomatic Immunity:
    Finally, last big point. The Hall itself isn’t anyone’s complete ally on paper. That does mean that the Hall is not entirely allied to its partner or client factions, but it also means it isn’t their enemies’ either, standing on a firm, neutral and interest-based policy. While some factions may suddenly see this as a reason to reconsider doing business with the Hall, keep in mind that it’d be in the station’s best interest to keep its clients happy, and not attract any undesired grudge on their part. As a neutral ground, the Hall will not deny its services to anyone because of their faction. However, the final word is left to the owner(s)’s discretion, as he may refuse individuals into his establishment for any reason he sees fit. From its neutral standpoint, the Hall will welcome any renegade, discredited, exiled, criminal or otherwise hunted down individual pursued by a faction. The Hall demands that the matter be either solved outside its area, or diplomatically. Since, as previously mentioned, the Hall doesn’t swear loyalty to any faction, it reserves itself the right of not disclosing any information or helping in any other way the pursuing party. However, since again, the Hall is neutral, it has no reason to protect the fugitive/traitor/personal nemesis for nothing. Therefore, it is likely to bargain an arrangement with or without both parties’ participation.

Alright, that’s the biggest chunk out. I’ll leave the actual design of the hall for when sketches are looking better and more concrete, and/or construction of the draft-build begins. Amongst the design elements:

• A main central building, consisting of the bar lounge, central counter (for services), and access to all other parts of the station.
    • Docking branches, platforms and areas laid out in a structured and organized manner.
    • A residential part, not for mass housing, but enough rooms to offer privacy or some sort of comfort for a few (and later, larger) number of customers.
    • Mess halls and private lounges, for each of its partners. (Use left to their discretion)
    • A storage facility (in plans, though not confirmed yet. Too risky)
    • A giant “Eden Hall” neon sign. Hell yes, you know it.
    • Custom and various skins (uniforms) for its official staff (although head/face will be left to the staff member itself! Enlist toda—just kidding)

Now, concerning the “Eden Hall Membership” some will remember from earlier, the matter is simple: To function, Eden Hall will be its own, neutral faction, and this station, its home base and only static property. The goal is not to become a faction, but to better operate and defend itself. All Staff members will obviously be part of the faction, and will be free of working on their own projects as long as they stay involved with the Hall’s operations from time to time. Custom Skins are also in the plans for Hall personel's use. Hall Members will be added to the faction, and gain access to the reserved spots of the docking area as well as their own rooms. For obvious reasons, the Hall holds the right to expel or revoke any membership with nothing more than a warning. This goes for Staff members as well.

And here’s for the final parts, for those still with me (I’m sure not many, sadly).

Eden’s Hall is still nothing but a project in the egg, an idea and fantasy. I won’t get working on it if it’s for myself, as it would somewhat lose its fun. It isn’t a structure built for personal use or for show, and will require time and care.

For it to happen, I’ll need “cooperation” (that word is a bit of a stretch) from other players, as in –not raiding the construction site – for example. It also wouldn’t work without the players respecting the non-written non-aggression rules of the place, hence why I’d lean more towards a Role-playing Server right now.

I have not decided on any server yet, nor thought of any particular faction(s) when planning this thing. Suggestions, especially for servers, are very much welcomed. I’ll keep this thread updated whenever any progress is made in one way or another.

Perhaps I’m just a fool with an odd pleasure, but I’d really like to see such a place in the game, that’s actually built /for the players/, without it being some privatized and heavily defended faction base, which the faction mostly doesn’t spend time in other than to build and make pretty. This game’s story is left to the players to write and experience, and as such, the players are free of creating characters and locations, events, adventures and settings as they see fit. I wish, with some of your help, make a bit of that.

Well, I’ve taken enough time and space with this huge post, and hope you understand the idea. It’s a project I’ll probably none the less work on building on my own time even with no support/interest/feedback, but knowing myself I probably won’t see it through if I just do it for my own.

At the moment I don’t ask for any involvement, just for opinions on the project, perhaps suggestions and feedback if you have any. If you'd like to help, participate, be part of the project, that kind of thing.

-Eden Hall’s owner,
    Charlie.

Ps: Huge grin to those who’ll get where Eden Hall’s from. May be more than one, but I know I’m thinking of a bar in particular. ;)

Reaction score
    Highest commendations to you for a fantastic idea. In my opinion, however, starting right off the bat with such a large scale project may be a tad of a stretch, especially with the enormous amount of cooperation you\'ll require at all phases.

Have you considered testing out the idea with, perhaps, a comparatively (to the Eden Hall station) smaller planetoid, or even a capital ship? To my limited knowledge (I\'ve only played for several days, so please take my comments with a grain of salt), most space station functions are also shared by ships, albeit usually at a much smaller scale, and you may be able to convert an asteroid into a working mini-hall, capable of docking fighters and other small craft, rather than full scale warships. While obviously not as grandiose, I suspect having an idea of whether the actual Eden Hall station would work based on a test-hall serves as a strong enough reason to give it a try.

I\'m very interested in this entire concept; unfortunately I\'m not a very great designer, but I\'m willing to assist you with whatever you may need help with, as I\'d love to see this become a reality.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The choice between ship-station is entirely personnal and I chose the station approach because it makes more sense to me. That way the coordinates are permanent and always reliable. No one can accidentally move it around.

The concept of building a station off an asteroid is always nice, it looks great and on me and my cousin\'s local server we did that. However you can\'t build a functional, actual station object from a space rock. We tried. I do plan on incorporating asteroids and such into the design, though those will have to be artificially built in order to be part of the actual station.

Ship VS Station again, I\'m not sure you can set a ship as a faction base.I genuinely don\'t know and haven\'t tried much of that.

And as for cooperation, well.. I don\'t ask for anyone\'s involvement in the building process, and any thing related to \"Staff\" is to come from personal interest in the project. The only real cooperation I\'m expecting is some sort of mutual agreement along the lines of \"Do not shoot and destroy, I\'ll leave you alone, thank you very much.\"

If anything, the station could become a hub shaped by player involvement and interaction.

If you\'re offering help, I\'ll gladly accept it. It\'d be foolish to start this thing fullscale on a \"test-server\", except if I were to make a server fully based around the Hall, but I don\'t really want that. That\'s why until I find a viable server to start working in, I\'ll build some prototypes and layouts but not go into full detail. As I said, I\'m sketching lots and once I have final picture I\'m happy with I shall present it to the thread.

Until then, ideas and suggestions are always welcome! :)

Reaction score
    totally off-topic, but that name brings back awesome meories! I need to watch Bartender again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I didn\'t like the show at all, visually. But I\'m up to date reading the thing. Haha!

Reaction score
    Just unsure of what you may or may not need at the moment. Hit me up with a PM any time.
    Good luck with the design drawings! I\'ll regularly check up on this thread and suggest ideas if any spring to mind.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a great idea. However, there will always be that one guy who wants to destroy the place. I would suggest guards in small, basic, fighters that patrol the surrounding space, and if something happens, they would report and people would mobilize.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I was toying around sketching a \"logo\" for uniforms and official ships but suddenly remembered I needed it to be on ships. Made of cubes. So I because absolutely love drawing perfect squares (Sarcasm), I opened up good ol\' Paint and threw some things togheter.

It\'s hard to do anything smaller and keep things interesting, though anyone\'s free to suggest anything. Personally I like the top row a lot, but I think the H should be a more dominant element.

Of course, a proper and more complex brand will look better and suit larger surfaces better, this small logo would be for small official vessels.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So here\'s a dump of a few of the early sketches. Yes, yes, you can laugh at how terrible I am, but just don\'t tell me. Click them for source image.

First of all here\'s a rough general picture. It ain\'t a definitive plan or anything yet, just the basic idea.

The shape isn\'t really good looking but that\'s mostly how the \"parts\" of it fit togheter, with a larger central section, the power/generators/logistics of the station on the lower levels, with a few occupation towers and lounges; access lifts and most of the docking platforms, spreading and surrounding the station\'s lower levels. On the upper levels, there\'s the administration offices and a residential tower. The \"sign\" is just there as a placeholder, right now it\'s ugly as f*ck. That fighter in the corner is not to scale .

http://i.imgur.com/CYnLf3i.jpg

And a smaller-than-final plausible plan for the main/central deck, home to the heart of the Hall. Subject to radical change, like pretty much everything.

http://i.imgur.com/G0f7oNi.jpg

Just a small idea sketch for an official small defense craft. The \"Stinger\". It\'s kinda blurry.

http://i.imgur.com/MUP0svI.jpg

A more elaborate design for a larger, official enforcement ship.

http://i.imgur.com/A5Ps4hx.jpg

The KC-MC01 \"Lion Fish\" Cruiser

Commissioned by the Adulian War Council during the thousand-year wars, the KC-MC01 (Krhovanis Corp - Medium Cruiser 01), nicknamed \"Lion Fish\", served actively as a border patrol unit. Its impressive arrays of sensors would scan space for any activity, and supersticious belief said the lion fish could tell where and from what height a marble was dropped, within a dizzying hundred kilometers radius. The rumor was never actually verified, but virtually no ship ever avoided the lion fish\'s detection. Though not suited for proper fleet fights, the MC01 can respectably hold its ground in most moderate skirmishes. The cruiser has been retired and decommissioned 25 years ago, and most of those still in one piece are in no operating condition. The Hall has recently contacted the Adulian corporation for a possible order of 3 cruisers. No agreement has been reached yet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You know what?

Here\'s a bonus completely unrelated sketch I\'ve been working on during a few lunchbreaks at work.

Remila

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Loving all if this, definitely am in for the long run haha sketches look great and the lionfish looks awesome too!

P.S from the name you can probably tell who this is!

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    How long is the Lion Fish going to be, and what colors do you imagine it being? I might be able to put something together.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    No idea how long it would be. It\'s not supposed to be too huge a ship, it\'s just to hae a heavier defense presence than a bunch of fighters.

As for color, if I could chouse and go for the sake of appearance, I\'d take a combination of black gold and white. Unfortunately, the closest thing to gold is currently sand. And sand isn\'t especially a good armor choise. For the sake of design, I\'m make one with sand, perhaps just for show.

The final colors will depend what scheme I choose for the Hall all togheter. Small talk with ImperialDonut made me agree that yellow just looks too flashy to make the cut as gold.

You can always surprise me if you want and come up with a version of your own, as long as you tell where the design\'s from o: It\'s a ship I was actually looking forward to work on, but I won\'t stop anyone.

[Edit] Actually, the one thing I\'d like advice in particular with this build is if anyone had and idea of how I could pull off those spines without them looking too jagged and blocky. They\'re angled in 2 directions after all.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    hadn\'t even thought about actually using brown, though that color could fit well with the tones I had in mind. I still think yellow\'s really damn bright.

Are you suggesting somewhat of a checker of brown and yellow? Not sure about what you really meant.