Easier copy/paste box placement (and more)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Build mode is getting better and better, but new funtions come with new problems. Some of them can be solved individually (like here), but why not solve all of them at once?

Problems:

• The frame to place or delete several blocks at once goes in the wrong direction most of the times.
    • Placement and deletion frames go in different directions, which is irritating.
    • Copy and paste frames go in different directions as well.
    • Copying non-cuboid objects and pasting objects in general is a pain in the arm.
    • Pasting large objects and placing grids for large ellipsoids causes heavy drops in framrate.
    • Paste function can't overwrite blocks.
    • Mirroring a part of a build after having forgot to set a mirror plane is difficult.
    • Core can't be moved.

Solution:
    Separate frame drawing from other functions (like shown in this MCEdit tutorial, 4:42-12:00):
    1. Click a block to set one frame corner.
    2. Click another block to set another corner.
    3. Frame is drawn as axis aligned bounding box of the chosen blocks.
    4. Frame size can be increased and decreased in all six directions via mouse or hotkeys.
    5. Ctrl + A creates a bounding box of the whole entity.
    6. The frame can be moved in all three dimensions via hotkeys, Shift + Hotkey moves the frame 10 blocks at once.
    7. Fill, delete, replace and copy funtions can then be applied to this frame.
    8. Clicking "paste" creates a frame in the size of the object in the clipboard. Checking the "preview" box shows the object like it does now. This way the frame can be positioned roughly without impacting the frame rate, and then, after clicking "preview", the position can be fine-tuned. Of course the object can be rotated, but also mirrored, and the frame swaps dimensions accordingly.
    9. Clicking "ellipsoid" button creates an ellipsoid with the frame's dimensions as diameters.
    10. Clicking "move" button moves all blocks within the frame (except the core if it's inside the selection) when the frame is moved. Rotation via mousewheel is possible as well. Blocks moved to the core's position are deleted instead and a warning message is shown.
    11. Checkbox "overwrite existing blocks" is available for fill, paste, ellipsoid and move functions. Only non-empty blocks do overwrite.
    12. Checkbox "overwrite with empty blocks" is available for paste and move funtions, if "overwrite existing blocks" is checked.
    Edit 21.09.2016: Add a server config option that limits chunks (or blocks) placed/pasted per second. This way bigger build areas would be possible without crashing servers.

Bonus: Moving the core!

1. Simply combine numbers 5 and 10.
    2. ...
    3. Profit

Edit: Changed title to better explain what this is about.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Agame3

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    BIG, FAT, GREEN, ALL-CAPS "YES!"

I think I'll add this thread to my signature.

Since limiting selection size is annoying, and doesn't work well with this idea, I think instead of limiting the box size there should be a limit on the number of calculations per second per player, with a little progress bar in case you do something like moving a Titan's core which would take several seconds.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The amount of potential lag this could generate is... over nine thousand... lags... whatever that means...

Seriously though. If deleting, pasting, or repainting, say, a 20x20 box, causes quuiiiiite a bit of lag on its own, try (simultaneously) moving a titan's worth of blocks. Even if the work's split across several frames/seconds/update cycles/whatever, the amount of server load would be... obscene, to put it simply.

Reactions: Agame3

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    split across several frames
    More like several minutes. Select the destination of the core first, punch an "execute" button and wait. If calculations per person are limited properly, build mode cannot cause lag.

Reaction score
    Solution 6: arrow keys.
    Solution 4: 4 left, 6 right, 8 up, 2 down, 1 forward, 3 backward

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Solution 6: arrow keys.
    Solution 4: 4 left, 6 right, 8 up, 2 down, 1 forward, 3 backward
    But I don't have a number pad. I'd rather use shift+arrow keys. What's really needed is the ability to bind keys with a modifier key (eg. shift+W) to do things and not worry too much about default key bindings.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What's really needed is the ability to bind keys with a modifier key (eg. shift+W) to do things and not worry too much about default key bindings.
    Absolutely! It really sucks when I accidentally hit R instead of E and get kicked out of the core. Other close keys are already bound, but Shift + R would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I agree with this suggestion, would be nice for helping copy/paste small drones or turrets without having to place a line of blocks out from the core to get the turret/drone positioned right.... Then there wont be so much blueprint hassle....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is a great idea - and one that I tried to explain myself in an earlier thread - I will add a link to this on in my OP. Thanks :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Malacodor
    Reaction score
    What about simply being allowed to place a new ship core, which automagicly removes the old one?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This thread must have happened before the council. They should add a tag and bring up with Schine please.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Nightrune used Necropost! It's super effective!

Apologies , I was forced to.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nightrune used Necropost! It's super effective!

Apologies , I was forced to.
    It's a popular suggestion that's still valid and hasn't received a tag, yet, so it doesn't really count as necro-post.

Reaction score
    Actually, it still is a massive necro. The difference is, this deserves a necro.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If one is pulled up from the grave to save the world, Malac, they are still pulled up from the grave. A necropost isn't inherently a bad thing.