Adjusting select area in Advanced Build Mode

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I propose being able to adjust the select box in Advanced Build Mode manually (with the keyboard).

As it is, it can be difficult to box in a specific set of blocks arranged in an irregular configuration. This task would be greatly simplified if keys were mapped, while A.B.M. is active, that can shift the select box 1 unit at a time in any of the xyz directions (independent of the mouse, maybe until the mouse is moved, or a cancel or submit key/button is pressed?).

Say, using WASDQE, or YGHJTU, or the numpad arrows...

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Plus maybe size adjustment with six more keys.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Plus maybe size adjustment with six more keys.
    It would be very beneficial to have keys to switch between a 1x1x1 cube and the actual selected size.

Or options for x={[<XX] [16] [8] [4] [2] [1] [XX>]}
    • XX is the current size.
    • [<XX] and [XX>] are buttons to increase/decrease the size
    • [16] to [1] sets a bit in the size (the scroll bar is inaccurate) XX shows the sum.
      • blueish if bit is set, yellowish when not
    Maybe not the easiest, but the fastest way to change values.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would be very beneficial to have keys to switch between a 1x1x1 cube and the actual selected size.
    That key is normally labeled "Ctrl". I think it would be great if Advanced mode could be toggled. I'd rather hit "Ctrl" once and work in advanced mode by default, and then tap "Ctrl" again to switch back to basic build mode with 1x1x1 cubes.

While I'm spitballing, I'd kind of like to see a "turbo toggle" where you press a certain button, and any button pressed after that activates an automatic hold-down of that button without requiring us to build something that physically holds down the button. Then when anything else is pressed, the turbo stops.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That key is normally labeled "Ctrl". I think it would be great if Advanced mode could be toggled. I'd rather hit "Ctrl" once and work in advanced mode by default, and then tap "Ctrl" again to switch back to basic build mode with 1x1x1 cubes.
    True, but you got me wrong.

Without adv build mode I can't rotate blocks. (dot is broken and sometimes gives exceptions like with light rods recently).

The block preview is both a blessing and a curse. It's a curse especially if it obstructs vision (maybe it could display a 1/2 scaled down version?)
    Sadly the image in advanced build mode does not work for me.

Reactions: jayman38

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You forgot the AZERTY keyboard users, WADQE doesn't work that well for us.
    blame keyboard vendors :p

I hate having to press a key right of space together with 7 and 0 for braces {}
    the slash is above 7 too - 7 is the middle above space :(

I also blame java and c++ for not using "#" for comments and "#." for multi-line comments :D

Reaction score
    True, but you got me wrong.

Without adv build mode I can't rotate blocks. (dot is broken and sometimes gives exceptions like with light rods recently).

The block preview is both a blessing and a curse. It's a curse especially if it obstructs vision (maybe it could display a 1/2 scaled down version?)
    Sadly the image in advanced build mode does not work for me.
    Try turning on Preview Blocks in the settings... or isn't that what you were talking about?[DOUBLEPOST=1415527534,1415527132][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm for both WASDQE and instead of showing the numbers, have a 3-digits-long textbox where we can modify the number, in addition to the bars in the right of the number (which goes from 1 to 10, right now). But with a limit of something like 100 (the bar would be at the most right side when the value excedees 10), since 100x100x100=1,000,000 blocks modified at once might be a problem for most computers. Maybe, sometimes you just want to easily remove your entire ship withing seconds, instead of minutes... or build a giormous building and just placing 10 blocks at once (saying you need a row) isn't enough for your needs.