Dumb Newbie question.

Reaction score
    Hey guys.
    Brand new here and am(very) slowly getting my head around the basics of the game.
    I am getting shredded by pirates quite frequently, and cannot get my turrets to work.
    Have read that there are issues in this regard, but my question is are there any basic turret set ups that are actually doing what they are supposed to? Or do I have to keep running to the nearest shop every time they come near me?
    Any responses appreciated, and remember to use small words, am VERY new to this(havent even played minecraft!)LOL

Cheers

Coldbeer

Apologies if this is not the right place for this.

Reactions: MossyStone48
    Reaction score
    for a very basic turret i would recommend: 2 Weapon computers with each the same amount of AMCs (Anti matter cannons) linked makes a fast firing cannon, then all you need is a Bobby AI and some shields and a little bit of power recharge (just needed for shields or more if your want to have your turrets self sustaining)

Hope this helps, have fun!

Reaction score
    Hey guys.
    Brand new here and am(very) slowly getting my head around the basics of the game.
    I am getting shredded by pirates quite frequently, and cannot get my turrets to work.
    Have read that there are issues in this regard, but my question is are there any basic turret set ups that are actually doing what they are supposed to? Or do I have to keep running to the nearest shop every time they come near me?
    Any responses appreciated, and remember to use small words, am VERY new to this(havent even played minecraft!)LOL

Cheers

Coldbeer

Apologies if this is not the right place for this.
    Try adding a faction module to the turret if it won't fire. Not sure if you still need one, but I did a while back...

Also, you should google the 'starmade admin commands'. This will allow you to use god mode, unlimited money/blocks, etc in single player. Good for testing the waters and building big ships which are pirate proof.

Hope that helped a little :)

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    You could've put it in Game Support, but General Discussion is fine, it suits both areas.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    Thanks guys.
    Building the turrets is fine,its getting the AI to shoot......well, anything!!
    Tried the faction module, but no change.
    Turret is set up as AMC-AMC/EXP.
    Was going to try missiles, but cannot purchase any as they are "obsolete" and no longer for sale.
    Is it a case of turrets not working at all at the moment(which with the sheer amount of turrets I have seen on the shipyards, seems unlikely), or are there only certain combinations that make the AI units function correctly?
    I am only salvaging at the moment to get enough for my first serious build attempt, but having to run to the nearest shop everytime a pirate shows up is getting tedious very quickly.

Thanks in advance

Coldbeer

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Coldbeer, Welcome to Starmade, I hope you are enjoying it. I had some trouble when I started paying with turrets. The guns I was arming them with were so short range that they worked, but nothing got close enough.

The ship in question

So make sure you make the weapon big enough to have an impact (if in doubt a 10x10x10 slab will be more than adaquate). Next make sure that you are docking it to a Turret Docking Module, and not a normal docking module (the normal blocks are green, the turret ones are red). I am assuming this is not the problem either.

Most notably, you must ensure the AI is actually turned ON. The bobby AI module does not magically make it work, it has to be set, this can be done in a number of ways:
    1. press R on the bobby AI module, check the active checkbox and set it to turret, it should now work).
    2. select the turret with F while looking at it and not while piloting any ship, then press I to bring up the inventory and go to the AI tab, then set it to active and to turret.
    3. The best method is to hit I while piloting the ship the turret is docked to to bring up the inventory, then clock on the [structure] tab and find "turret docking system collective", click on that then click the "activate all AI" button, this will automatically calibrate all turrets on your ship correctly.

A pretty big Turret

Other issues might be the turret not having enough power to fire, test it yourself first. You should also be aware that entering the turret or a ship with AI on will cause the AI to turn off, and it must be turned back on again with one of the above methods.

I hope you can get it working! if you need more help, let me know and I will be happy to help you out personally :)

Reaction score
    Thanks Orphaniel, that may well be the problem, not enough range(its not a big ship).
    Will play around with it, add some enhancers, beef up the size and see what happens.
    Will also try the alternate AI activation methods.
    Will let you know how I go.
    Cheers

Coldbeer

Reaction score
    Nope, no joy with any of the above mate.
    Got it set with 3 rows of 10 AMCs, 2 weapons comps linked.
    Activated the AI in every way possible, except via the structure tab.....try to activate all AI in the turret docking system, buts seems to do nothing at all. Going to AI config after clicking Activate all AI,and it just tells me to activate via the AI module.
    Parked myself 150m behind a trading guild ship, with target "any"...........nothing.
    Further suggestions???
    Am thinking uninstall/reinstall....but dont want to lose all my credits and gear....or is that not an issue?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Ahh, target "any" means "any enemy" not literally any, that would be CHAOS.

I'd suggest using admin commands to build a big turret and spawn in a pirate as testing target, but once you start using those commands, it is hard to stop!

Reaction score
    Ah, righto then....was just working off what I saw in a tutorial vid, which showed a turret firing away at an asteroid after it was built.
    So thought "any" was literally just that.
    Right, now to find the admin command to spawn a pirate......they are never around when you ACTUALLY want one.....LOL.
    Will report back.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    "/spawn_mob "isanth IV" 1 -1" if I am not mistaken, it is possible that the "Isanth IV" part needs to be replaced with the "Isanth Zero" or whatever the new pirate ship is called

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    "/spawn_mob "isanth IV" 1 -1"
    /spawn_entity "Isanth-IV" MySpawnedPirate 2 3 4 -1 true
    The '2' '3' '4' are the sector coords where the ship will spawn, use your current sector coords instead.
    the '-1' makes it a pirate ship and the 'true' makes it stop being a sitting duck(if you want a sitting duck use 'false' instead).

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Turrets are very buggy at the moment, they occasionally have a "nope, screw you" attitude with me too. I suggest installing ship mounted weapons instead for the time being.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    the best command for spawning mobs for testing imo is the /spawn_mobs shipnameCapitalizedexactly -1* 1**

*= faction id, -1 is pirates
    **= number of ships
    the AI is automatically turned on for these ships spawned

Reaction score
    Ok, to continue with the dumb newbie questions.......
    Is there some trick to setting up the docking enhancers on my station?
    Have extended them pretty much in every direction, far beyond the dimensions of the ship, but will not make the box big enough.
    Have activated the main docking unit and have it facing up.......missing something simple......googles not really helping.
    Ships only about 40m long......surely its not THAT hard?
    Responses in laymans terms again please...lol.
    Thanks in advance

Coldbeer

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    okay, docking enhancers used to confuse the doodoo out of me for a bit.

You have the right idea though, the enhancers making the box bigger, the thing is you just have to make sure they are linked.

So, select your docking point with C and the place enhancers to increase the size, if they somehow fluff up and don't seem to be connected you can select the docking module with C and press SHIFT+V while looking at your enhancers to connect them all at once (or indeed, you can just press V on one at a time)

The actual dimensions are managed by the size of the docking enhancers that are touching eachother, so if you need to make the docking point taller you only need to add enhancers in that direction

See if that works for you, if it does not, let me know and I will make some screenshots to demonstrate the principle

Reaction score
    Thanks for your quick response(again).
    That is pretty much what I have done. Problem is box will extend along the X axis fine, but as soon as I extend along Y, the X then gets smaller. So i can only get a long skinny rectangle going one way or the other.

Edit- Have taken over a std issue station and am tweaking it so am just trying to dock inside one of the std hanger areas.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Are the blocks extending the X Y and Z all connected together? like, physically touching?

As for my 'quick response' I've been on set all day and only just got back, it's pure co-incidence

Reaction score
    Just been working on X and Y, but yes all connected, right from the docking unit out(but seemingly thats not actually required.