Drone Wars Competition

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Season one has ended!
    CONGRATULATIONS SGTWiskey for winning the First Season of drones wars!

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 22.17.13.png

------------------------------- original post --------------------------------

DRONEWARS600.png

Greetings fellow shipbuilders!
    With the recent updates i think it is about time we lift space combat to the next level. Also the next level of AI design showing what the real demand in that regard would be since we can't commandeer all of our fleets alone.

So i thought we are doing a competition to figure out our skills as builders of efficient war machines aka drones.

The drone teams submitted will battle it out in open space in a single elimination tournament.

Judgement guidelines:
    - Winner of the tournament
    - The drone team scored highest on the design scale
    - The drone team scored highest on the systems scale
    - the drone team scored highest on the features scale
    - winner ranking overall summing up the 4 rankings each counting towards the final score with 25 %.
    also each of the 3 judges is given the opportunity to contribute a honorable mention of their liking.

Entry guidelines:
    - for this first competition the entries must be submitted latest at Friday the 18th of march 2016 12:00 GMT (Noon)
    - Your drone team must not exceed 1000 mass
    - every drone must be between 25 and 125 mass
    - Drone teams are to be submitted in a "rack" or deployment mechanism, the rack/mechanism weight is not counted to the mass
    - drone teams must be available as download here on starmade dock and posted in this thread with link to the ressource.
    - a team can consist of as many drones as desired as long the other requirements are meet.

The tournament will be held at the weekend of the 26th and 27th of march, it will be recorded and edited and most likely be streamed as well.

With all that said i wish evryone of you Good luck.
    And feel free to leave suggestions/comments in the thread.​

------edit------
    The other judges agreed to join me in this competition so that would be
    - Dalmont for Design
    - Borst / Weishaupt for Features
    - And me for Systems

-----edit 2------
    to clarify the function of the rack it's purpose is purely to deploy the drones anything else will lead to a disqualification. read here Drone Wars Competition

Last edited:

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    YES! More competitions! This one sounds quite intriguing, looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Reactions: ephla442
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    so its irrelevant how big the drone carrier is? how is then determin who won when not by destroying the drone carrier? But I have to say im really inexprienced regarding the topic of drone fights.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Worst wanted me to come here to ask: Are thrusters, shields, and power allowed on the frame?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why not have the mass limited to 1000 mass, but let us decide how many drones we want to divide the mass. ie.. 1 Drone at 1000 mass, or 10 drones at 100 mass...

Also, will we be able to submit thrust settings as well? If I make fold up drones, I'm going to want to share thrust. :)

125 mass wont be enough to make a smaller version of this:

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    1) I'm in thanks for hosting a competition.

2) could you update the rules to limit the rack obviously we aren't supposed to do some things like build a 5,000/sec beam on the rack to nuke drones. I'd say no outward facing weapons or support tools (although AI can't use the later anyway).

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ok to sum up your questions the drone rack/carrier s function is to safely deploy the drones into battle either in a sequence all at once or how ever the builder desires. After deployment these will get deleted to not further interfere with the battle. But especially for the mechanics/features section it is relevant to judge the deployment mechanism.
    Their purpose is to just simulate a carrier/whatever to deploy drones not fight, protect fly with them

So any system blocks besides powergenerators and rail mass enhancers, push beams or push pulse whatever shenanigans may lead to a disqualification. no additional turrets, nothing besides a deployment mechanism and what is necessary to make it work should be on the rack.

What are drones?
    Drones are Ai controlled disposeable, thus they have to be cheap, entities.

So a 1k mass drone folding and providing interiour might be named drone but does not fit the definition. and to keep everything a bit more compareable and fair i put it into the rule of between 25 and 125 mass per drone.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    no pilot so expendable... and you talk to the airforce and tell em to outfit them with digital weapon modules for a computer game competition and starmade thrust and such... ;)

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm would be kinda funny to make a drone with a turret on the top and bottom of it for killing missiles and send out a fleet of them. :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    You can count me in. Let's see if I can win a third drone competition in a row, huehuehue >:-D

Reactions: ToasterBorst

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm 1000 total mass, 25mass drone min, 125mass drone max so that turns into a range of 8 to 40 drones. Once people get their first drone done all they'd have to do is copy and past it into the rack/launcher.

Reactions: ToasterBorst

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    hmm 1000 total mass, 25mass drone min, 125mass drone max so that turns into a range of 8 to 40 drones. Once people get their first drone done all they'd have to do is copy and past it into the rack/launcher.
    Assuming all their drones are the same, yes, you could just save and spawn the others. ..but they don't have to be! :)