Bug Doubled up and over sized asteroids

Reaction score
    For some time now our server has been getting double asteroids. This is when an asteroid has an exact copy on top of it. Seems to become more prelevant with each patch lately.

Any way to stop this from occuring? Causes major stability issues on our server especially when someone interacts with them with it sometimes crashing the server.

Also Asteroids are getting ridiculously big. We're getting like 350k mass asteroids with 10million + blocks in them.
    Can any one explain how ASTEROID_SIZE_MAX works?

Patch notes says it was reduced from 4 to 1.
    server.cfg says:
    Asteroid max dimension length in chunks (from -x to +x)

Can it go below 1?
    Is higher smaller or smaller higher or what? Can we use decimals?

Would be seriously nice if we could start getting some better documentation on StarMades settings and how to use them.

But yes we desperately need to get these asteroids smaller and to have them stop doubling up on each other.
    Need some help to fix this please cannot be running a server where we have to worry anytime a player looks at asteroids.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    This sounds like the roid respawn thing, so turn off the respawn.

As to config settings, I have no idea.

Reaction score
    Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    they do collide because they get generated twice with identical parameters including there postition
    at least thats how i did understand the log files in the report
    so asteroid respawn turned off may help here
    (of course .. that will remove their ressources completly)

Reaction score
    Thanks for clarifying SmilingDemon. I guess we shall turn off respawns for now and see what happens.

Here's hoping Schine fix it sooner than later and make the default spawn sizes much smaller while they're at it.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Disabling respawn will reduce the frequency, but it'll still occur.

We're seeing roids as large as ~500k w/ the setting at 1.

Reaction score
    Yeah I'd hate to see how big they are at 2+ lol
    Seriously hope a fix is released sooner than later. The double asteroid thing has been a bug for a while.
    But the insane amount of blocks on asteroids is the main concern, makes life difficult for those on less beefy PC's.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    Yeah I'd hate to see how big they are at 2+ lol
    Seriously hope a fix is released sooner than later. The double asteroid thing has been a bug for a while.
    But the insane amount of blocks on asteroids is the main concern, makes life difficult for those on less beefy PC's.
    Try reducing max segments to ~1/4 pre-block16 settings (schema might think about forcing the setting downwards for all).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I also wish I could make asteroids smaller. And wish the default view distance would go down to 250.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm guessing since the radius is in chunks that could be the problem right there. Why not make it a min and max radius in meters and that'd solve a whole host of problems? Sure it adds more config lines to keep track of but it'll help out in the long run.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    If i may quote from the news post for this patch :
    We’ve also renamed ASTEROID_SIZE to ASTEROID_SIZE_MAX. We’ve lowered its default value from 4 to 1 because of the new larger chunk sizes. (Addendum: as it’s a radius, it doesn’t include the center chunk. We will switch to a by block radius in upcoming versions)
    this will change in the future again.

Reactions: Kingofanime