Donut's Suggestion Thread - Holograms, Planets & lots more!

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    My EarthGov ships: http://star-made.org/content/earthgov-shipyards-theimperialdonut

My Halo fleet project: http://star-made.org/content/unsc-shipyard-theimperialdonut

My Advanced Combat proposal: http://star-made.org/content/advanced-combat-proposal-tid

My blue UI mod: http://star-made.org/content/donuts-blue-ui-mod

Updates:

- 6/6/2013 Added mass restriction and directional shielding proposals.

- 6/7/2013 Reworked power, shielding and sector mmass limits.

- 7/7/2013 Touched up yesterday's reworks.

=[ Advanced Buildmode Min/Max Buttons ]=

Add 6 tiny buttons to the advanced buildmode brush dimensions next to the current arrow buttons that allow you to one click maximize and minimize that axis in length. This would save one so much time by not having to click the damn button 9 times to get it to where you want it to be, because lets be honest, we mostly use either 1 or 10 on every axis.

=[ Mass Restriction In Core Sectors ]=

Mass restrictions on the center sectors, inspired by EVE's security space.

Imagine a spawn sector with no massive ships camping it and a zone around it that's safe for new and respawning players roam and build up without having to fear massively oversized pirate players decimating everything they worked for. For example, you are killed and respawn at the default shop/station, normally a few large ships permanently inhabit this sector to either scare or harass new or respawning players.

This time round however, the player doesnt see anything larger than starter craft and small fighters flying around and nothing too big in the surrounding sectors either. He gets a chance to start gathering materials without interference from folks in much bigger ships denying him any chance at a good start and rebuilding his lost resources.

If you travel out further you will start seeing bigger and bigger ships untill you reach deep space where all ship sizes are allowed and everything goes. Players could even just pick their battles by fair size by finding others in a certain zone of mass restriction and engaging them, for when you really dont feel like taking on yet another massively oversized ship with your elegant frigate.

Now when you do try to cross a border into a sector that your ship is not allowed in, you will be gently pushed back with increasing force untill you are no longer in the sector, if you try to build too big inside a sector, it will simple refuse to place the latest block and notify you why

the exact boundaries are debateable, but the concept is what matters here.

=[Directional/Locational Shielding]=

A rework of the current system for shields that forces you to rethink setting up shields and have to consider things like coverage and locational capacity. Have the current blocks only provide the shield regeneration rate but add field capacitors to cover certain area's of your ship, by default only the ship core would provide a small range shield coverage with some shield capacity but by placing shield capacitors you can increase both. Those capacitors would need to be placed throughout the ship to provide capacity and coverage to certain parts of the ship, so if the front of your ship is uncovered by the core shield, use a capacitor extender to add shielding to that area.

Now, the exact values are up for debate, but say a core has a range of 20 blocks and a capacity of 30.000 points, and a shield capacitor has a range of 30 blocks and 2.000 capacity. Placing a capacitor on an uncovered part of the ship will provide a 2.000 point shield in a 30 block radius of that module, so if someone where to shoot at that part of the ship, they would have to do a total of 2.000 damage to get through it and start damaging blocks.

If he were to destroy most of that section of the ship and moves on to the next section that also houses your core he would find that another shield blocks his fire (the core's default shield). after taking that down he can then start directly damaging the blocks around your core. So this way a part of your ship's shielding might get overwhelmed by enemy fire, but the rest of your ship would still be shielded by the emiters who's area of influence hasnt yet been attacked.

But since 2.000 points of shielding is actually not a lot of protection, you can have the shields overlap, so placing 2 modules right next to eachother will provide a 4.000 point shield in that 30-ish radius (30-ish since the blocks dont 100% overlap due to being nex to eachother) [Point B on the picture]. So if you build a ship that needs lots of shielding on the frontal armor plates, just place a whole lot of capacitors near that area to provide a high capacity shield [Point A on the picture].

But so far we've assumed that shields dont regenerate in battle. This could be the case, but a way to keep regeneration in battle is to allow every capacitor module a basic recharge rate, so lets say a capacitor can regenerate 100/second (or 5%) and the core can regenerate 300/second. A capacitor could fill up its capacity in about 20 seconds and a core in 100 seconds, provided that the afore mentioned current shield blocks output enough regeneration for the capacitors to use up for their regeneration limit.

Meaning that if you only produce 67/second with the shield regeneration blocks in total, you can only charge your capacitor blocks or core at a 67/second rate. If you produce 135/second, you can either power a capacitor at its full 100/second limit, or your core with 135/second (since its limit is 200/second). If both modules are trying to charge, the total production will be distributed evenly amongst all modules that need it, this way you wont need to match the total regeneration capacity of your entire ships shielding, but only the total of the amount of modules that you think would need it in a battle.

=[Projectable Holograms]=

Id like to suggest a new block (yes I know, shockingly original): The Projector block!

Place one of these down and open its interface, it will llet you choose what to display, like maybe a 3D map, ship or character skin. Once one of these options is chosen the block above the hologram block (if free) will change into a hologram, displaying the object you chose to display in a walk- and seethrough way.

Additionally youll be able to increase the size of the projection by building a bigger projector base, something like 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 producing similarly increased sizes of hologram. For example: a 5x5 projector base will project a 5x5x5 hologram above it, the exact same image as how a 1x1x1 hologram would be displayed, only scaled up.

Especially the planned 3D map would look very cool as a big hologram on your bridge.

Quick example (replace the glass with the projection):

=[The M&M Proposal]=

Yesterday evening we had a little talk about the current planets and how they are kind of hideous to look at from certain angles, besides gravity being somewhat clunky, so, someone came up with the idea of adjusting the current planet generation to generate double-sided planets.

It's basically this: Take the generation script for flat planets and apply it to both sides of the same circular shape, aditionally decreasing the disc's diameter near the edges untill both sides meet, creating a nice rounded edge. Now add gravity to both sides and make ore spawns more common the closer you get to the planet's core to make mining a lot more interesting (and viable with more valuable spawns overall).

Cal and I thought this would result in much better looking planets, gravity that makes more sense, more sensible access to ores and a way more realistic representation of planets.

For folks who are worried about gravity glitching out in the core of the planet when making a hole: the pull of the planet will start to fall off near the core but will keep you in the center (gently pushes you, no spazzing out) unless you have the thrust to counteract the gravity or dig/climb your way out of the hole you created. You can never be stuck there since a player can always easily remove blocks, and so dig his way out (your ship can be another story, but thats no different from being stuck on a planet atm).

If this doesn't make sense yet, this concept cross-section will (hopefully) demonstrate perfectly what I mean:

I hope this explains why this sounded like such a good idea to us and of course let me know what you think and if this could benefit from any changes.

Reaction score
    This is a good idea, but the gravity would be a bit strange from orbit, and it would be difficult to get from one side to the other, without something similar to circular gravity.

What I propose is that the gravity near the surface stays the same, albeit with the addition of a method to get from side A to side B, but at higher altitudes the system changes to a circular gravitational field that centers in towards the planet entity.

I will come up with a diagram eventually.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really like this idea. But what would you do about gravity in the core of the planet?

Seems to me that you might just get stuck in the core, in a gravity sandwich, and you\'re the poor sod that\'s getting thrown around inside it. Constantly switching sides.

My thoughts are that the core could be anti-gravity and maybe have the inner core made of lava with the dense ores around that.

Reaction score
    Why schema doesn\'t make round planets like real world?^^

Pholopalus

あなたは笑う、あなたは失う
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    because a round planet is hard to do with voxels.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My first two encounters with planets was on the bottom side. At the time, I wasnt aware there were any. It was kind of dissapointing to a see a flat piece of something that ressembled a Pizza Viennese.

I support this idea!

ImperialDonut

Reaction score
    @ Cpt. Lemon, gravity will cancel itself out near the core, meaning you\'re free to fly sideways in all directions away from the planet, or plow straight through the gravity if you wish and your ship can handle it. Also, a hole in the planet can produce some funny yoyo-effects if traversed at speed before settling at the center... ^^

@ Nero90, Round planets would be possible if a new system was implemented that would add a bit of an angle to voxels (meaning a smaller surface area on the bottom than the top), I drew this up during a discussion with Cal over the same idea:

But, apparently this causes some problems with the way the engine works, besides this being a crapload of coding for Schema to implement.

Also, I\'ll expand this thread to encompass more suggestions for an overhaul to the way 3D space works right now.

Reaction score
    I know this matters a lot to you guys... but this isn\'t the main concern for the game right now. Sure it\'d be a nice addition, but it really isn\'t much of an addition at all. Just a bit more surface area and makes the game look a tiny bit better. Engine optimization and balancing, as well as making the game presentable and playable, are all real main concerns right now. The fact that people find non-round planets dissapointing is absurd to me. Who the hell cares.. none of you even use planets very much I bet. This is a space shooter, I don\'t want to see too many planets getting in my way anyways. I want to see more enormous space stations around the place.

ImperialDonut

Reaction score
    @Brisarge It\'s not meant as a cry for immediate change but as a proposal to change the planet system somewhere in the future, hence the term \"suggestion\" and not \"ERMAGERHD, DIS NED FIX NOAW!!!\".

Also, no I don\'t use planets much at the moment (I do, but not much), partially because I don\'t want to spend time on builds that might not be compatible with future updates (since planets are still kinda WIP) and can\'t be saved yet and largely because they look pretty damn awefull and unfinished right now (whether you think that\'s a good reason or not).

And even though you don\'t like planets and just want to shoot stuff in space, it doesn\'t mean that many others won\'t want more from the game in the form of building secret underground bases on faraway planets and exploring hidden beauties of the proposed generation system. If you where to compare this to minecraft you could say its as big of a deal as the difference between terrain generation in development and the big beta overhaul.

And just to be clear once again: I never said this should be done right now, this is a suggestion to Schema, if he likes it and would like to implement it he can work on it whenever he hell likes, be that tomorrow or in 10 years.

It\'s his game and he decides what he needs/wants to work on at any time, we just offer him our ideas.

Reaction score
    I\'m not saying you guys want it in right now. I\'m just saying you could be focus your suggesting elsewhere. To the things I mentioned.

ImperialDonut

Reaction score
    You can\'t exactly choose what you think of, can you now?

If I think or hear of something cool I\'ll post it, no point in holding on to it since \"it\'s not the right time\".

Reaction score
    Its a wonderful idea yes. But either people suggest tiny little things that balance the game a bit, or they suggest some really big change that either adds too much/too little functionality to the game.

And you can definitely choose what you want to think of, I do it all the time. I look a particular part of the game and say \"How can I improve/add to this\" and then I think of something.

You\'re trying to fill a hole that\'s already been filled.. Schema already said that he\'s going with an oreo type planet.

I already suggested this, except I didn\'t make the diagram. There was another planet thread I can\'t remember where it was but pretty much everything here was already spoken of.

ImperialDonut

Reaction score
    I know Schema mentioned that he plans to make planets have two sides, this is merely an alternative that can make planets way more interesting to just mindlessly copying the generation system to the other side of the planet.

Reaction score
    I\'d just go with the oreo type planet for now. Its fine with me. And like I said, I did infact already suggest this exact planet type in the original planet thread.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Whats wrong with Cube planets? I thnk that would be way better than this.

Other changes I can\'t say well enough to have an opinion.

Reaction score
    Synapse, besides all the borg cubes, no ones making ships that are just one big cube, asteroids aren\'t one big cube, stations aren\'t one big cube. They\'re made of cubes.

Reaction score
    http://star-made.org/content/flat-planets-are-absolutely-horrible-idea-how-make-them-round-changed

ImperialDonut

Reaction score
    It says mostly the same thing over the course of a few comments yeh.

I\'ll leave it in here as a quick well-illustrated recap then, I\'ve changed it to include everything I\'ve posted anyway, so don\'t worry about double topics.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    According to your power system, the best way to make power generators is to have a core touching an 8x8x8 power cube and then copy/paste that. Unless power cores are something that comes in very limited quantities or is very expensive, using only one face is the most block-efficient way of making reactors. If they are very expensive or limited, that hurts smaller ships a little bit; They now have to worry about both an expensive reactor core and expensive faction module.

Having a weapon\'s reload speed scale inversely with it\'s power is something that has been suggested multiple times by multiple people. I\'m sure Schema will have a solution, probably inspired by your idea. Your weapon limitations... What purpose do they serve? I know that having a 2,000 block AMC array is overkill and causes trouble for smaller fighters, but isn\'t ten 200-block arrays more useful for anything other than excessive shielding? On the other end, your idea would serve to make larger ships have much more dakka dakka as they would HAVE to have a lot of \'relatively\' small cannon arrays. It\'d look almost like Star Wars space battles, which looked cool with all those visible laser beams going everywhere.

I think that we shouldn\'t set limitations upon a player\'s designs, and instead balance the game around that freedom. So what if someone has an enormous and slow-reloading laser-railgun that can puncture heavy shielding in one shot, they can\'t use that weapon to deal physical damage to someone\'s hull effectively because AMCs only damage one block/shot. You could have a lot of smaller cannons, but it would take longer to get through shielding.