Donuts FTW: Hoop ships don't get hit with missiles.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    OK I have to chime in here.

I just tested this out and my missiles went right through the middle of a ring shaped target. The centre of mass being dead middle. This can be a good thing as I suppose you can't just rely on missiles any more but it will be exploited if not changed.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Well that was rather inventive of him o_O

Reaction score
    All turrets aim at the CoM, meaning you should also be protected from AI fire entirely if their aim is good enough.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, only if the missile comes from the direction the hole is pointed to, otherwise you're out of luck.
    Not really so much of an exploit if you ask me. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hmm, only if the missile comes from the direction the hole is pointed to, otherwise you're out of luck.
    Not really so much of an exploit if you ask me. ;)

Greets,

Jan
    To be fair, I thought that was obvious and didn't need stating. And I do think its a big deal considering: The direction of combat is more often than not frontal and that the PD turrets had triple the amount of time it shoot them down after the first miss.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    To be fair, I thought that was obvious and didn't need stating. And I do think its a big deal considering: The direction of combat is more often than not frontal and that the PD turrets had triple the amount of time it shoot them down after the first miss.
    Well, the title of this thread suggested otherwise and as for the direction of combat, that's a question of strategy. What PD turrets are I don't know, but all in all I'm not convinced. ;)

Thus said, I agree that the AI should be more smart, but that'll come I'm sure.

Greets,

Jan

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    But then an enemy comes at you from the side,

Boom.

Seriously though, if you make a ring ship then all powers to you. You get turn rate penalties anyways.

Reaction score
    There's always a chance of hitting something. I assume the "safest" ship is two structures separated by a large gap. The only way you'll get hit is if they are attacking from one of the two ship sides. If so, just turn 45 degrees!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well, the title of this thread suggested otherwise and as for the direction of combat, that's a question of strategy. What PD turrets are I don't know, but all in all I'm not convinced. ;)

Thus said, I agree that the AI should be more smart, but that'll come I'm sure.

Greets,

Jan
    PD stands for point-defense. In this context it probably means anti-missile turrets.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    But then an enemy comes at you from the side,

Boom.

Seriously though, if you make a ring ship then all powers to you. You get turn rate penalties anyways.
    Not side to side turnrate.

Wide ships turn faster than long ships.