Don't punish decoration, give deco blocks zero mass and HP

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If the hull blocks are going to get reduced in HP, then the hull and hardened hull block HPs need to be set to a factor of 6, since the tetras are 1/6th of a cube.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    ...But that later patch hasn't come yet; all blocks are still the same mass and there's no mass option in the block configs.
    It's still planned, though, which is the main point of the post anyway.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Personally, I would like to see decorative blocks also not count towards ship dimensions.

I like using deactivated light rods as antenna (a deactivated black rod light is a perfect black pole, stick an active red/green/white rod on the end and bam, instant communications antenna) , kinda sucks when your turning speed goes down because you put an extra antenna on the top of your bridge or the the front of your nose.

Reaction score
    I repost something I still think would be the best solution regarding those decoration issues:

What about using an approach that is already implemented to change the color of a projectile/beam/missile fired from a weaponcomputer?

In this scenario you would select any cube "C" and connect it via "V" to a decoration cube (light, crystal, hazard etc.) to change the appearance of the the cube to that of the decoration cube without changing its stats.

This way you could have a whole ship made out of hazard armor without sacrificing survivability .. Using only one actual deco block.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In this scenario you would select any cube "C" and connect it via "V" to a decoration cube (light, crystal, hazard etc.) to change the appearance of the the cube to that of the decoration cube without changing its stats.
    This would require one Block-ID for physics and one different for graphics... this would require a whole engine-rewrite I guess.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i wish the basic hulls weighed almost nothing, so stealth cruisers could look really good and at the same time not be too op as the basic hull is so easily destroyed, even with a hand gun.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i wish the basic hulls weighed almost nothing, so stealth cruisers could look really good and at the same time not be too op as the basic hull is so easily destroyed, even with a hand gun.
    Yes, the mass of hull blocks should be somewhat proportional to their effective HP.

Croquelune

An Imaginary Number's officer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    New players would have no idea why certain blocks have mass and others don't.
    At least, speaking as new player, outdated tutorial, totally abstract crap-fantaisic name of ressources, messy craft GUI, and passive/boring crafting process are more real issues imho than object's different mass.

Actually, in real life, I don't know why one glass of liquid lead is heavier than one same glass of water but I don't care. I just assimilate that as fact.
    So if in SM an armour is heavier than an ice cube, I wouldn't wonder why, I'll just learn and integrate that as fact aswell.

And, personally, I don't like simple game who babysit players like if they were all newborn babies. If they really want play a game, they will experiments, tries and learn how play it and eventually understand game mechanics.

Reactions: Ithirahad