Docking is still broken even after the patch "fixed" it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i updated to the new patch that came out today and docking works its just that dock enhancers dont work. Anyone else having the same thing?

Reaction score
    It\'s not a patch it\'s a test build. But yes it works for we, not as supossed but i can use my ships again and I\'m very thankful that schema worked his a## of for this.

What works: You can dock turrets with no blocks under the core layer,the little blue blox shows correctly how much space you still have left in your current docking area and docking enhancers add 1 block maximum to each side of your docking area.

What somewhat works: the docking areas are the same size as before, BUT one block left and one block infront of the block from the maximum space in your docking area are missing, i tested this with different numbers of dockign enhancers but those two spaces still seem to be missing.

I bet with the final version of this prebuild we can see this fixed, just be patient for 1-2 days.

Reaction score
    Depending on the orientation of the docking blocks the enhancers behave quite different.
    Using the test build.
    If the block is orientated to the left any block will change the height of the docking area(relative to the ship)
    On the right the enhancers behave like expected tho.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    yeah still messed up. give it time imo roll back till schema patches the patch of the patch :D

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Thank you Makaan and TempaPowers, that helps a lot.

I need exact points on what is not working, and what is actually working. I can\'t do much with \"It doesn\'t work\" in a complex system like that, so I appreciate that you did some deeper testing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have made a suggestion on the reddit, but here you go (http://tinyurl.com/nehk87v)

I think you should redo the way the docking system works. My suggestion is to give the player more control over the size of the docking space and/or add a new docking block. It seems that the problem with the actual system is the position of the core. I don\'t see any advantage in creating a system where the core needs to be in the center of your ship. Give player the ability to control the offset dimension of the docking space by adding enhancer only in the direction they need. As an example, if my ship\'s core is in the back of my ship, when creating a dock for it I\'ll only need to add enhancer expanding the docking space forward. This can be done if you remove the enhancers ability to enhance in both axe directions, negative and positive.

My other suggestion fits the first idea, and adds some more options for players. Thinking of the dock block as a female, and create a new male block. The position of this male block in the ship will define the docking CENTER position of the ship. Having this center position, you only need to extend (enhance) the docking space in the directions your ship needs. This also can benefit the fact that the player can rotate the male and female blocks, allowing for easy docking alignment and direction.

This is not a total revamp on the current system, just some details addiction. Can you guys point out flaws with this system?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having a male and female block allows the ships to mate block to block directly and avoids issues of having (wasted space) within the docking berth. The ability to adjust the area manualy would be a godsend to end fustration associated with docking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Now that you\'ve said that I was not thinking on block to block docking, but that can surrely work. The problem I find with that is the position of the male dock (the one on the ship) being not the most closest block from the bottom of the ship to you female dock. That could imply colisition problems with parts of the ship/station the female dock is on.

One way to work around that is enabling the dock to be free form and not have any colisition problems. This would allow for a docking female block to be \"inside\" the docking area. But I think this is creating more problems where there\'s already some.

In my proposal I only suggest that the docking area works from a central point, being it the core or the male docking block, and that the enhancers could expand that area in all the 6 directions independently. Also, the blue marker showing the ship docking size should also be calculated from it\'s core/male dock, and if necessary this info could be somewhere on the GUI. In this way you can control exactly how\'s your docking space going to be. I don\'t know how hard is to make this modifications from the actual system, but I doubt it is that hard.

Reaction score
    Hi,

Giving the player more control over the docking area (and allowing offsets) would be a complicated mess (for both the player and game developers) that would probably just be a new (large) source of further bugs; and it won\'t solve the real problem anyway.

The real problem is that (for no sane reason whatsoever) the game thinks that core is the centre of the ship. If you build a ship with the core hanging far below the front of the ship (which is something I\'ve done to draw enemy fire away from the main part of the ship, in the hope of reducing repair costs/hassle) you\'ll find that the handling (ship rotation) is nonsense and that you need a docking area that\'s about twice the size of the ship.

For the purpose of docking the \"center\" of the ship should be half-way between the ship\'s extremities. For example, if a ship is 100 blocks long, 80 blocks wide and 60 blocks tall, then (for docking) the \"center\" should be 50 blocks from the back, 40 blocks from the right and 30 blocks from the bottom. It shouldn\'t make any difference where the core happens to be.

For the purpose of handling, the ship\'s \"center\" should be its center of mass. This is a little expensive to calculate correctly (and begins with questions like \"do all blocks have the same mass?\" - e.g. should an empty PlexStorage have the same mass as a hardened hull). However, you\'d only need to calculate it when the ship\'s blocks change, and a crude approximation (potentially including using \"half-way between extremities\" instead) could probably suffice. It shouldn\'t make any difference where the core happens to be for this either.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I do undestand your concerns, but what you\'re proposing is realy close to what I\'m suggesting. The only difference I see is that I\'m using a \"origin\" (or 0,0,0) for the docking area, and you\'re using the center of the ship\'s volume. The ship center of mass don\'t matter for this issue.

I\'m only suggesting this because It could be handy for a player to have a dock (the actual block) not in the center of the hangar. If the core is on the ship\'s center of volume, than you can always turn symetry on and add the same enhancer to both sides of the dock, at the same time.

Reaction score
    The second patch 404\'d but on patch one i found that placing enhancers right next to the docking block causes the height to go up.
    Also you can only place blocks in one direction. An L shape will not increase width and length.
    You can only increase width and lenght if the enhancers are placed one beneath the docking block.

http://i.imgur.com/bD0Ppts.png

Reaction score
    Look at these images, this doesn\'t make much sense to me.
    http://i.imgur.com/DvjFn2q.png
    http://i.imgur.com/Qgq5BpP.png

Adding blocks to the side should not increase the height me thinks.
    Also adding them to sides should increase the area in any direction not just one.
    Again just my opinion.