Docking changes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    1: the docking system should have "points" like the weapons computers. The default number of points is 18 total, 3 in each axis both positive and negative. (Z+/-, Y+/-, X+/-). If Z- had zero points, the docking area would not extend past the back of the docking module. You can distribute these points how you like, so you could have shorter docking areas in a carrier deck. Once distributed, the points will try to stay that way, so if you have a certain configuration and extra points and you lose an enhancer, the system will try to keep the box the same size.

Each docking enhancer adds 2 points, and if it expands the size of the largest set of docking enhancers then the points increase in that direction, same as usual. When you place down your first docking enhancer, you get 4 extra points, and with the 2 from the docking adapter that means 6, to extend each axis by 1, same as current behavior. However, if a docking enhancer doesn't extend the largest docking enhancer box size, you just get 2 unallocated points.

This means that a) docking asymmetric ships/turrets is easier, b) we don't have to go and change turret docking area sizes again, and c) ships will be able to dock in shorter hanger decks, while d) we can still tell presicely where a ship will dock, so we can make the dock fit to the ship

2: the location of the docking area on the normal docking module should be not fixed to the top/front whichever face it actually is. Why? Because that way it is possible to "hang" a dropship from beneath a docking adapter, or to have a ship dock using its nose or the sides of the ship. Currently the orientation of the ship depends on which face of the docking adapter it is on. If you want a ship hung from the ceiling you will have to have the ship upside-down.

Instead, the docked ship should still have the orientation of the docking module, but its location (above/below/left/right/front/back) will be determined by which direction can have a docking area.

3: as something that will help with adjusting a large number of docking modules: when you are in build mode with a control block (Weapons computer, docking module, etc.) selected, when you open up the weapons menu you should get that controller brought up.

4: Turrets should be able to not have their cores be at the very bottom. Adds more flexibility in turret desgin and also this means turrets will turn about their middles instead of around the base, whichalways looks weird.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. You have to work a lot with numbers x/y/z.

Turrets may be restricted in angle, because you forgot to increase a number below the docking zone.

2. Do you really need Y (height)? There is only 1 direction. Should the other be offset (allow a turret a few blocks away from your ship - more like protector ships)?

This would solve some issues with docking on \"wedge areas\" of your hull.

3. I don\'t like to click 100% times in the weapon computer for each weapon already.

Please think about a solution to fix annoyance before adding more such stuff.

Personally, I think both parts should have docking stuff. Docking modules dock onto each other - with the core counting as docking module.

If you make an L-shape of ship enhancers, you may be able to dock a mirrowed-L shape there. One of both can be bigger than the other - the smaller counts. We don\'t need modules/enhancers - just 1.

You have to hit the direction in which you want to dock, and your ship\'s hull has to match (or leave blank space while docked) to the other ship\'s hull (flat hulls are ok, cone/cone is ok. Anti-Cone/Cone is ok. Anti-Cone/Anti-Cone not). Use wedges/hull blocks to cover the other sides if you don\'t want these.

Turrets can have a Pitch and Yaw part. The docking spot acts as rotor, the Pitch-part is docked on the Yaw part with a dock in x-direction (see http://star-made.org/content/sub-turret-joints-because-huge-turrets-pointing-absurd-angles).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    1: Yeah, well, you could also just make a giant docking module. This means that if you feel like you want the most efficent method of docking you have to set it up in the config. Right now there is the huge ineffeciency in space that is required, and if you still want the hugely ineffeicent docking area you can keep it.

2: See the part below about where on the docking module the docking area is. That\'s why y- is nessacary. Although an offset might be a good idea (though I will say it should take points, because it should have a cost)

3: I was saying that if in build mode, when I select a controller block with \"C\" and then open up the weapons menu, it automatically selects it from the list, because when there are about twenty docking modules it\'s a pain to select them all from the list. And in regard to all of the areas of the game that require lots of clicking to change values, can we have a blanket \"make it also keyboard input\" suggestion?

Your docking idea sounds okay but really, what if I have a shuttle with the core in the center? Should ships honestly need to go to the hassle of having docking equipment on them? Also, it just seems OP. Can I dock a titan to a shuttle and then use the shuttle to run around at top speed?

Also, in regards to the turret idea, this just means that all turrets are going to require this little bit in between the turret and the actual ship. Yes, it means realism, but something could also be accomplished by just preventing the turret from clipping through the ship, which your idea does not prevent.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your docking idea sounds okay but really, what if I have a shuttle with the core in the center?

The core is a docking part for smaller. It has an offset half the size +1/2 of our current docking area. But only to a certain weight.

Also, it just seems OP. Can I dock a titan to a shuttle and then use the shuttle to run around at top speed?

It may be limited by weight. Also if docking gets fixed, docked units add to the carrier\'s weight.

Also, in regards to the turret idea, this just means that all turrets are going to require this little bit in between the turret and the actual ship. Yes, it means realism, but something could also be accomplished by just preventing the turret from clipping through the ship, which your idea does not prevent.

With rubber (or some expander-block) not colliding with docking modules there is no inbetween.

If you separate between Pitch and Yaw (Pitch is a turret of the Yaw-turret and has guns where Yaw has shields and energy) you have no clipping.

You only have to make sure a circular area let the turret turn 180°. This does not lag much, as combat mostly removes blocks and docking is only checked once - when it docks. Build is only checked once per player action - at max - and for just one turret, not every game frame.

Reaction score
    I do kinda like the idea number one, both for looks and for functionality since the docks can overlap and a simple design bulge on one ship can render the dock useless, while on its side might work.

also, I had my own docking change idea here and it doesnt require as much programming math beyond a few extra xyz checks.

http://star-made.org/content/docking-mechanic-idea-fit-docks-smaller-areas