Discussion about future NPC Factions and villain concept

Reaction score
    I have in my head a concept of a faction that I'd like to implement for NPCs on a private server, or release for others to see.

My concern is the game has not progressed to a point where this is possible, but my hope is that it can within months to a year from now. I will be asking questions before I begin working on the actual building of the ships and structures of this faction. I know for a fact AI hasn't reached it's fullest potential yet, and I'm unsure of the state of, and future of logic. I will lay out the general design, and perhaps the Devs can point out if any of this is outright impossible.

Broad concept: NPC Faction that uses ships similar to the Forrunners in Halo, but is run by a Rampant AI with the infectious desires and behavior of the Flood. Put another way, a physical manifestation of a computer virus, that spreads like a galactic cancer.

Broad design of the faction:

1) Monolithic mother station that spawns ancient looking large mother ships. Likely polygonal or pyramid shaped (possibly two pyramids over a plane that is wide enough for ships to exit an internal shipyard). Defenses would be a turret system that looks like the corners of the pyramid.

[Do any pyramid turrets currently exist, or will I have to build my own :) Will factions have the ability to construct New stations? The concept is to have one station per system, growing once a system is overrun to adjacent systems]

2) Large studded mother ship is built at Monolithic mother station. Studs on the mothership are in fact salvage drones (I understand currently broken) that will eject from the ship, help eat asteroids, and then plug back into the mothership, almost like a socket.

[Can a drone function with a plug-like dock, flush against a hull, or are there issues with collision? The exterior of the drone is like a stud that sticks outside of the hull, but functions as the 'front' of the drone. Ideally, once fired, logic would open up the front point (picturing a 4 by 4 array of cannon/salagers) and begin to go to work. Can rails be logic driven to work like this on a drone?]

3) Mothership explores system, seeking first asteroid belts, consuming raw material, gathering enough materials on board until it is full, returning to the mother station, depositing materials. The Station then begins work immediately on another mothership.

[Is it planned for AI to be able to 1)send a ship out (as a carrier) to a sector with materials, 2) to be able to gather resources to return when to dock when full, and 3) be able to be set to auto construct ships that join a fleet or fly out to another sector when complete?]

4) Completed motherships will continue to spread out across a system. When a certain threshold is reached, it will spread to an adjacent system, and begin multiplying, taking control of unoccupied space, and contesting occupied systems as well.

[Ideally, this would be programmed after a certain number of motherships exist in a given system, say 32 or 64 ships constructed would cause half the motherships to leave to an adjacent, non-claimed sector. This would only happen when they have all of the materials needed to construct another station, and enough ships to move out as an invasion force (32, or 64).]

The grand concept is for this to be a villainous faction that should unify other factions in a threatening way. If this faction lands in your galaxy, you would be well to unify to eradicate it before it eats through your galaxy and eventually grows to large to manage. It's growth would be slow, but exponential. 1 System -> 2 Sytems ->4 systems -> 8 Systems ->16 Systems and so on.

For NPC factions, it would be great if there was a threshold for relations. When any factions controls greater than say 1.5 the mean amount of systems controlled by all factions in the galaxy, then diplomatic stance is set automatically to unfriendly, and when the amount of systems controlled is greater than 3 times the mean of other factions in the galaxy, AI factions automatically declare war out of existential danger (Or something like that).

What other ideas have you all had for NPC factions? I understand this would require much optimization, and I am unsure that it is even able to be implemented. But hey, a man can ask, can't he?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not sure this would be a good vanilla-game addition, but it could be a very fun mod.

Unfortunately, with the way it is talking about huge ships and geometric growth, it would quickly degrade to the point where you would defend your territory not by creating militarily superior fleets, but just lagging out the AI.

Even with lots of optimizations, a server can only process so many large ships until it reaches its limit. And just when you think you have upgraded your server to handle anything, this "flood" faction simply multiplies to the point that it reaches the new limit in short order.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Pretty much, this as described is a Von-neuman griefing tool that unless functionally leashed quite harshly would bring any server to its knees within quick order. This is better left as a mod for those wanting a more hard-core experience, not as a vanilla option.

Reaction score
    Certainly the intent wouldn't be to lag out any server, and I would imagine something of this caliber wouldn't be doable until later in the development.

At what point is a ship considered 'large' ? I see no reason why the mothership-carriers of sorts would need to be any larger than 150m long and perhaps 30m wide. I'm not really sure on what the limits are as far as ships per sector, docked entities per ship, docked entities per sector, or the like are. I need to learn the limitations for what is doable.

Additionally, This was a brainstorm. The concept is to have 1 faction that basically everyone hates, so there is never 100% peace and prosperity in the galaxy/Universe. There is always at least one common enemy to drive interaction.

Reaction score
    There is and has been for some time differing opinions regarding ship size and classes. An example is a default pirate fighter is a fighter, but so is a 70 meter long multi turret attack ship. So when you said Mother ship/carrier just about everyone presumed it was over 500 meter long and blistering with turrets and what not.

Reaction score
    By no means. I had never heard of von-Neuman, and I looked into it, and it is, in effect, what I am describing, though it could be scaled down, or perhaps limited (leashed as they said) not not cross systems, or potentially only occur in 1-1000 star systems, or potentially starves out in some manner.

Ideally, the motherships would all dock to the exterior of the mother station, resembling a hive of sorts.

But we are then talking about a station with 32 drone carriers docked to it. Each carrier would have 16 drones docked to it. That would be 512 docked entities not accounting for any turrets.

Again, it would be simple geometric shapes constituting the whole thing. The Lore behind it would be perhaps a precursor race that didn't account for rampancy, and the AI simply took over the home system, consumed everything, and its creators died.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    How about a faction that spawns tiny ships instead? I'm thinking that it would create ships that were essentially a warhead and a ship core. Such ships would be easy to knock out, but would be a real pest if they got past your defenses - kind of like a creeper from Minecraft. The faction could create swarms of these little guys, and might be closer to the Replicators in the Stargate series.

Reactions: Theats
    Reaction score
    That isn't far off from what I envisioned. For the sake of realism, I had them consuming planets and asteroids, so that their materials didn't come out of thin air.

I'm unsure how docked entities that don't move effect servers vs docked entities that do.

Is there a guide to how many turrets is too many, how many drones is too many, how many ships per sector, things like that?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm pretty sure there's no plans for there to actually be an "evil" faction. You'll be able to work with the "evil" scavengers if you want, for example.

Reaction score
    There's another two factions to be announced as well, and I wouldn't be overly shocked if one them is "bad".