Implemented Disable Diamonds for Turrets and Docked Ships

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Some of us like turrets. Some of us like carriers. Nobody likes having their HUD bombarded with dozens of multicolored diamonds. We already have the option to filter them out if we choose in the navigation menu, why not let us do so on the HUD as well?

This feature is not only important for keeping the interface simpler during game play, but building as well. Currently, building a ship with a lot of turrets or docked ships is extremely frustrating, as there will be a solid block of color smack dab in the center of the screen.

EDIT: since we already have this feature, I'll go another step forward and suggest that we have an additional option to filter out things without AI modules, such as doors or turret bases.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not only that, there will be a solid ring of color that blocks what's in the 4-7 hotbar slots.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    +1
    I think you can press some F-key to disable the hud completely, but I still want to see my hotkey-bar what I have selected and amount of selected at least.

I think diamonds or targets outside your view should at least not be a circle on your screen, but an ellipse or on your screen's boundaries.

Other targets should only show distances when you focus your view to them and more transparent (but I think you can change transparency by editing an image-resource png).

Reaction score
    Some of us like turrets. Some of us like carriers. Nobody likes having their HUD bombarded with dozens of multicolored diamonds. We already have the option to filter them out if we choose in the navigation menu, why not let us do so on the HUD as well?

This feature is not only important for keeping the interface simpler during game play, but building as well. Currently, building a ship with a lot of turrets or docked ships is extremely frustrating, as there will be a solid block of color smack dab in the center of the screen.
    Yes!

Reaction score
    I thought the filter did disable on HUD as well, did it get changed?

Reaction score
    One would think, or hope, the filter settings would disable both the diamonds and triangles, but it does neither. Hence, the suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Agreed, the navigation filter should allow us to filter out docked ships and turrets if we so choose. Unless a turret or ship has broken loose, knowing that the oversized war ship carrying said turret is there is enough for most.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I wouldn't mind having a different symbol for turrets while in my field of view, but having all of those symbols on the side is a pain.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Same with my base, the navigational filter only takes them off the nav list. Not my screen.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    uh oh this will ruin flare designed ships, that undock 10-20 ship cores to avoid missile fire. haha but no im all for this

Reaction score
    Biggest problem I find is looking at a large ship you didn't build and trying to find the actual ship core so you can fly it around. Kind of hard to do with all the turrets and docked ships.

Reaction score
    Perhaps there should be only one diamond, the one for the mothership but when selected, along with it's name it should display [x Docked] where x is the amount. Just a thought.

Reactions: alij331
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    theres should be a hotkey to turn turrets diamonds off and on

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Biggest problem I find is looking at a large ship you didn't build and trying to find the actual ship core so you can fly it around. Kind of hard to do with all the turrets and docked ships.
    The ship core will actually be a slightly different shade over anything docked to it, but it is still hard to pick out in a field of diamonds.

Reaction score
    Why diamonds? Maybe ship cores could be something else to distinguish from turrets quicker? Squares? Stars? Triangles? Hexagons? Circles?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I agree with this as its not just distinguishing the core from turrets and docked ships. Its also the fact that when you filter things you may not want to see their indication on your hud at all (not just the nav list). When your building for example and there are TONS of little diamonds in the direction you have to look in order to build, it can become difficult to see what your doing. If your trying to look at a ship a friend is showing you from a distance (if its a big ship to see the whole thing you have to get back a bit) then you get clutter of diamonds and cannot clearly see it. I am sure there are other reasons, but the main thing is at times it can be aggravating and having the ability to selectively turn them on/off would be really really nice.

Reaction score
    It amazes me this isn't in by now. It's pretty much the first thing anyone wants when they begin making turreted ships.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I missed the Q&A so I didn't get to submit this :( infinite frowns... hopefully more people see this or a dev already has.