Read by Council Diagonal Rails

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    So I was drinking milk(Unrelated lol) and was reading this post on facebook about this driverless car and stuff which brought me back to what I was thinking some millionaire could do for an underground mall or city in real life in where you have a circular mall and basically have a small mini train system(that obviously doesn't go fast enough to run people over) and goes in a circle around the mall/station thing. That gave me the idea of diagonal rails so I could basically build a circular station(As circular as a circle can be in starmade) And basically have a tram system going around slowly inside the station. What's your thought to this? I'm sure diagonal rails could also be of use to someone or something in starmade

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is already possible in several ways. Firstly, you could just use an in-between rail, rotated to 45 degrees. If you want to alternate between straight and diagonal rail, make the diagonal rail a 90 degree zig-zag and add two layers of motion compensators for smooth movement.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    This is already possible in several ways. Firstly, you could just use an in-between rail, rotated to 45 degrees. If you want to alternate between straight and diagonal rail, make the diagonal rail a 90 degree zig-zag and add two layers of motion compensators for smooth movement.
    OR they could add a diagonal rail that does that for you instead of having to go through the trouble of doing what you just said.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The game is not supposed to do things for you. It's supposed to offer the fundamental tools for you to do whatever you want, not implement a ready-made solution for every conceivable thing a player might want to do.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could make a rotator using logic and put a platform WAY out where it would be used. When it goes by a platform it stops, extends, gets/drops passengers, retracts and heads to the next stop. You would be limited to 45 degree movements but it would work. the extend/retract function means you don't have to make flush edges during it's movement.

I had this idea for my Sphere 201 station because rails are impractical for this purpose (need a rail near the diameter of the sphere). Didn't do but made a POC (proof of concept) so I know it'll work.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You could make a rotator using logic and put a platform WAY out where it would be used. When it goes by a platform it stops, extends, gets/drops passengers, retracts and heads to the next stop. You would be limited to 45 degree movements but it would work. the extend/retract function means you don't have to make flush edges during it's movement.

I had this idea for my Sphere 201 station because rails are impractical for this purpose (need a rail near the diameter of the sphere). Didn't do but made a POC (proof of concept) so I know it'll work.
    But then you have 2 collision volumes in the same place :/

Rotation-trams are faster too, or not? I think they are or were not limited to a low amount of m per second.

Sure, you don't need diagonal rails, but going +x and then +y is 1.4 times the length of going diagonally. It is quite some difference.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!

Rotation-trams are faster too, or not? I think they are or were not limited to a low amount of m per second.

Sure, you don't need diagonal rails, but going +x and then +y is 1.4 times the length of going diagonally. It is quite some difference.
    Exactly. It'd be saving space.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I didn't explain it well enough, pardon.

Rotator in the center (dock & core only). Build out to platform location (below level) and place a few rails. Dock the tram onto this rails and remove the blocks between the center and the rails (so there is a void between where you can have walls or whatever, no collision possible because there are no blocks. Wireless controls on tram as desired. Speed control the rotation of the center blocks based on how fast it is to rotate (station to station speed), a button trigger on center will trigger extension each time if complete a cycle (45 or greater depending on what you set).

If you still find that confusing I can make a .sment you can fiddle with.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I re-built the POC-RotatingTram to show this better (link to the Logic download in Community Content).

The tram moves about a circle (of any size) using 4 rail blocks. Walls in-between, heck you could have docked ships in there or build the beasty on a planet surface and orbit your face of the planet (haven't tried that but it SHOULD work) armed with turrets and the like for a clear shot on your incoming invaders even if they hide behind the planet curve.

All the logic in there is documented, those few rails by the tram (little white box) are the only ones other than the logic switchers for rail direction. Right smack in the middle is the rotating core, with solid walls (glass block) between it and the tram. You could hide the rails by placing them further out and by using off-set blocks put the tram BACK to the ring with almost no visible connections (or even put this rail IN the central core but visually that gets confusing).

Want to get really weird, make the tram a vertical elevator as well for multiple floors. Could be a very cool cargo module placement system as well (like those crazy German car parks that store vehicle in a circular column on multiple levels).

Hope that explains my solution to a circular rail system. If you wanted have 8 trams instead of 1, just a load more logic required.

PS: Where is my logic badge :p

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    Yes but I barely know how to use logic and don't want to have to learn boat loads of useless knowledge(No need to bite my head off for my opinion).

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If you're actively refusing to learn how to play the game, I think there's more pressing concerns than accommodating your particular wants for ready-made solutions.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes but I barely know how to use logic and don't want to have to learn boat loads of useless knowledge(No need to bite my head off for my opinion).
    It is not useless. It relates to real life circuit design (Tough RL has a bit more factors such as magnetic influences on other circuit parts).

After the advent of AIs, basic programming and circuit knowledge might become as important as reading if you don't want to be a slave of a mega-corporations magic-box.
    It is always good to understand at least the basics so much that you can get a rough idea on what the experts are talking about.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You know that light switch at the bottom and top of a set of stairs that control the same light, that is logic circuit. 2 buttons, 1 Flip-Flop and a light (and plenty of other ways as well). You use logic circuits all the time you just don't know it. The pieces are dead simple, it's figuring out how to make those pieces do what you want that's hard and that isn't learning anything but how to solve problems, something everyone uses everyday. Try it, it's kind of addicting.

Last edited: