Developer Q&A - November 2014

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In the last news update concerning the change to buying with Blocks - Schema pointed out that, "Something that basically generates blocks from nothing is an infinite "in" which is ok for creative, but not ok in any other setting".
    Sorry, but that's illogical. We already have an infinite "out" which is block destruction (and despawning of items). Without an infinite "in" we'll end up with completely mined out galaxies.

It was mentioned that it will be possible to respawn asteroids with faction points. But how is that not an infinite "in"? FPs are generated out of thin air.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Getting a little technical here. Really great question Mr. V! Guarantee you'll see that next post.

You guys still have time! Post those questions!

Reactions: Mr. V
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Question 1: What is your (here and further, Schema) current view on a AI/player interactions with the given universe? What do you want an AI factions to do, what players cannot/would not do, and vise-versa?

Question 2: What is your approach on planets and asteroids if seen as source of materials? Is there a specific framework you willing to achieve in terms of player interaction with those objects and how close it is to the present perspective in your opinion?

Question 3: Is it planned for Starmade to support different scale/form/proportions for player models? If so, do you have a plan to allow several humanoid or alien body types with separate skin templates to be a vanilla content, or is it something you'd leave to the modders in future?

Question 4: What is your schedule position for updating Sounds? What aspects of the soundscape you feel the most important for the time when that update would arrive?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    No, V, you are legitimately pretty smart. You're the first one I've seen on the forums who mentioned that issue, which has been bugging me for a while.
    awww... you guys are pretty swell too :D
    [DOUBLEPOST=1418258119,1418255442][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Sorry, but that's illogical. We already have an infinite "out" which is block destruction (and despawning of items). Without an infinite "in" we'll end up with completely mined out galaxies.

It was mentioned that it will be possible to respawn asteroids with faction points. But how is that not an infinite "in"? FPs are generated out of thin air.
    I would agree that the destruction of blocks is an infinite "out" - but it makes sense to have infinite outs for an economy (like fossil fuels... although I still argue those are technically renewable...). Infinite "in" devalues everything through inflation. Infinite "out" creates eventual scarcity that should breed interesting social interaction between players and factions.

And I agree on the Faction Points to replenish asteroid reference. It seems like the natural evolution of a server should involve eventually reaching a scarcity of resources in a given area that will challenge players to find ways to get more resources -- this would probably create the impetus for:
    - faction wars over control of remaining resources
    - territory encroachment in general to steal resources
    - the need to relocate or expand further outwards from spawning points (even a largely populated server will probably always have more resources.. just further away in different galaxies)
    - a greater need to encourage trade between players to get specific items when needed

These are all things that I personally think would add to the multiplayer experience of this game.

And of course - if a server admin feels like their server is negatively impacted by such things - they can always change server config settings in various ways, or periodically back up player station sectors and reset the universe (which seems like a fairly regular practice right now between game updates and the desire to clean out items from inactive players).

Reaction score
    What are your(Schema, other schine members too) thoughts on armor mechanics, aside from the HP system?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Infinite "in" devalues everything through inflation. Infinite "out" creates eventual scarcity that should breed interesting social interaction between players and factions.
    There won't be any inflation if there's as much "out" as "in".

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There won't be any inflation if there's as much "out" as "in".
    Scarcity breeds social interaction?

Have you ever heard of nuclear war?
    The war after that is the important one. We fight it with sticks.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    will we be able to override sections of the game in the modding API? I am generally not happy with how the Jump Drive system works, and would love to redo ?

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Are you sure you quoted the right post?
    No. No, I didn't. THE REQUOTE.

Infinite "in" devalues everything through inflation. Infinite "out" creates eventual scarcity that should breed interesting social interaction between players and factions.
    That's the right one :D
    Restating the reply:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    No. No, I didn't. THE REQUOTE.

Lol - I was counting warfare in general as a subset of "social interaction" :D

"War is the continuation of politics by other means" -- Clausewitz

and (speaking as a prior-service missileer) we totally need nukes in this game!

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Lol - I was counting warfare in general as a subset of "social interaction" :D

"War is the continuation of politics by other means" -- Clausewitz

and (speaking as a prior-service missileer) we totally need nukes in this game!
    We have nukes. Pulse Missiles are casually referred to as nukes among many of my Starmade copilots.

What I'm getting at is that if resources are scarce, and wars start to become more and more prevalent as resources dwindle, eventually we'll run out of ships.

Or the ships will start to get smaller. One of the two.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ANOTHER QUESTION!

What changes do you have in mind, Schema (or Cal), when you guys say the docking systems will get a new pass? What purpose will a rail system serve?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    We have nukes. Pulse Missiles are casually referred to as nukes among many of my Starmade copilots.

What I'm getting at is that if resources are scarce, and wars start to become more and more prevalent as resources dwindle, eventually we'll run out of ships.

Ships will only get smaller if people cease to find ways of getting more material - and as far as getting more material goes I have one word: "quadrillions".

Scarcity will affect areas, not the entire universe on a server. It just means people will have to relocate or figure out how to implement a logistics system to get resources from where they are to where they are wanted. Which comes back to social interaction - I see factions setting up commercial ventures to feed the war machine as well as material needs in general.

Reaction score
    Will fuel ever be a mechanic? I know there are a lot of different opinions but I like the idea of running out of fuel and having to turn on a distress signal. Plus, it adds to the economy.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Ships will only get smaller if people cease to find ways of getting more material - and as far as getting more material goes I have one word: "quadrillions".

Scarcity will affect areas, not the entire universe on a server. It just means people will have to relocate or figure out how to implement a logistics system to get resources from where they are to where they are wanted. Which comes back to social interaction - I see factions setting up commercial ventures to feed the war machine as well as material needs in general.
    Plus the Trading Guild restocks shops. Buy from a shop and sell to a cheaper one to get more money to buy more and use it or sell it. :)