Devblog 13th June 2017

Reaction score
    Good luck for the future Auburn. ;-)

Well, i don't understand anything about the point for the new rails and the cargo system. It will still be long for someone to set up automatically the cargo pods and such. Okay it might be easier for some stuff but you'll still need to trigger manually docking rails for most part. So i'm not that hyped about this. We'll see how it looks ingame, might turn better than i think.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Thanks for the help Auburn. I hope your work will be in the game soon :davewink:.

I think the ideas for the cargo changes came to life after we threw ideas around how to build a dock to transfer cargo with logic etc.. Never thought that this discussion would lead to changes... but we certainly found some flaws in the current system. Maybe the new blocks are a way to solve this. It certainly fits into the rail mechanics we already have. We will see how this works out.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Turret rails will need some special rule to them to allow cargo transfer, hard to say what exactly considering that officially, mining turrets don't exist yet. (I know that you can already make them)

Docking arms would have the load/unload rail where you dock things to, and the docking arm itself would be docked to a load/unload rail.
    You can switch between loading and unloading through logic rail switching, although in this case you'll have to include wireless logic.
    But doesn't this go against "keeping it simple" which is the whole reason for the change. I'm just worried that this is a distraction that doesn't much improve game play. Instead it seams like a half thought out idea that is further delaying my Dev build :(

A good improvement that would make rails simpler would be to first overhaul the tedious (single point of failure) rail/docked entity "directory" architecture. Then rethink how cargo is done.

yoyo2901

Meatshield
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Auburn thx for your work here! good luck with your career further on. may the galaxy be with ya :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Good luck with your new endeavors Auburn, although pity you won't be around to receive the praise when your work enters the game for all of us. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thanks for your efforts Auburn, can't wait to see the fruits of your work. Hope you continue to enjoy the game :)

I like the idea of being able to make dedicated Loading/Unloading cargo ports (a bit like the USD idea but for cargo) but it's true that mining turrets would be impossible with it.

Perhaps some modification to the Salvage Cannon computer could be made to allow it to be linked to a Cargo computer on a docked structure to allow it to pull cargo in a similar way to how it's currently done between structures?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You know, if you could link storage blocks to Salvage computers across entities that would work perfectly for Salvage Turrets. It would work like wireless blocks do. Or for the sake of "making sense" maybe you could link a salvage computer to a transporter computer on the salvage turret, and then link a storage computer on the main ship to another transporter computer on the main ship.

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Ithirahad

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    You know, if you could link storage blocks to Salvage computers across entities that would work perfectly for Salvage Turrets. It would work like wireless blocks do. Or for the sake of "making sense" maybe you could link a salvage computer to a transporter computer on the salvage turret, and then link a storage computer on the main ship to another transporter computer on the main ship.

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.
    Even better, link a storage block to a wireless logic block, than link that to a wireless on the entity you are transferring to or from, than add the ask options to the storage boxes. Ding, no need for new blocks just additional functionality to existing ones. :) Also it'd help with fleets dropping off cargo at stations but there'd need to be a way to dynamically change the linking target.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When can we expect the energy update? I've had to postpone building and I would like to resume. Overwatch is fun, but I need my Starmade injections, plox.

Reactions: Criss and Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    When can we expect the energy update? I've had to postpone building and I would like to resume. Overwatch is fun, but I need my Starmade injections, plox.
    I don't see a systems update as much of a reason to stop building altogether. While it will mean you need to tediously replace systems on an existing ship, you can still design new pretty hulls and then just fill them with the new systems when they arrive.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't see a systems update as much of a reason to stop building altogether. While it will mean you need to tediously replace systems on an existing ship, you can still design new pretty hulls and then just fill them with the new systems when they arrive.

There's not a lot of room for error and I dislike building the same thing twice. No reason to build an energy system that will be replaced in the near future.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Then just build the hull and a
    There's not a lot of room for error and I dislike building the same thing twice. No reason to build an energy system that will be replaced in the near future.
    Then just build the hull and add the energy system after the update comes out. Or design turrets which draw power from the main structure.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then just build the hull and a

Then just build the hull and add the energy system after the update comes out. Or design turrets which draw power from the main structure.

I've already done those things. The last key system to integrate before deck layouts is the energy system, and I still have to calculate draw from he turrets to determine how big the reactor systems are going to be. I can't start finishing the decks until I know how big the energy systems have to be.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've already done those things. The last key system to integrate before deck layouts is the energy system, and I still have to calculate draw from he turrets to determine how big the reactor systems are going to be. I can't start finishing the decks until I know how big the energy systems have to be.
    Fair enough, I guess you are stuck for the time being then. Hope you mange to figure something out.

Reactions: Kyoretsu