Dev Blog : May 30th 2016

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    We can do text, and in fact it is already planned to create better descriptions for blocks and a guide on mechanics.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Will I be able to walk up to an NPC and interact with them, and they show me a video on my Hud during the interaction?

Video blocks as well, that play a clip in their gui?

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    For my tuppence, weapon videos split into one for primary weapons. One for secondary Weapons. One for effects - Offensive and Defensive.

A walkthrough for mining, capsule refining, cargo pulling, factory pulling (as a single high level process chain)

A blocks layout tutorial (i.e. scanners and power lines in 3 directions, power capacitors as a block, everything else just total numbers.)

Logic - one for each block - keep it simple, but say how it interacts with the block before it and the block after it. Some tutorials I've watched and I've copied logic but have no idea why I'm slaving a seemingly random chain of these things!

Regarding infographics, I would consider replacing the help text on block descriptions, if you think things can be explained better with a chart of some type? Maybe the infographic would be on the 'category' rather than each individual block in the inventory.

Other than that, I have found it relatively fun over the years very slowly figuring out how the hell stuff works. When I figure anything out I'll let you know... If I can just figure out how to...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So, I just realized that we COULD use the Video UI element for a bit of fancy fluff in our block UIs... Could have a little animation of locking/unlocking on the faction block interface.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    (I'm late, but I don't care)

tbh, I don't care about file size. even with hundreds of screenshots, accidental gifs and blueprints, SM is one of my smallest games. Heck, GTAV is 65gb. Add as many FHD videos you want, it's not stopping anyone else ^_^

*edit*
    Also, if you're going to insist on having this http://files.star-made.org//build/d...0528_190436/data/video/SchineSplashScreen.mp4 please have it over the current menu loading screen rather than a seperate thing, it'd get old real quick otherwise

Oh, and mute it until we have sound ingame. it'd be rather strange for that to be the only sound :)

*another edit*

The name of the game isn't on the main menu, don't want people thinking it's called schine made by starmade or some shit :P

Last edited:

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Music demos literally just landed in our lap as I read this. And it is sounding great. Can't wait to hear it in game.
    Will the demo music be in game or shall we have to wait for final version of soundtrack

Reaction score
    Regardless of the reply, I vote demo music in game. (I enjoy music, and really want to hear it sooner rather than later)

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The name of the game isn't on the main menu, don't want people thinking it's called schine made by starmade or some shit :p
    Too late, it's already happened.

Also, if you're going to insist on having this http://files.star-made.org//build/d...0528_190436/data/video/SchineSplashScreen.mp4 please have it over the current menu loading screen rather than a seperate thing, it'd get old real quick otherwise
    This should only show when you start the game. It would be a bit odd to have it when loading a world?

Unless you mean removing that brief load screen before the Schine logo when you start the game. I assume that's going to be replaced with a black screen. It does look a bit weird to have a loading screen for a company logo intro.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Will the demo music be in game or shall we have to wait for final version of soundtrack
    As far as I am aware we will be adding music over time. We aren't 100% on how much music we have just yet. The list of sounds and musical cues are extensive we have yet to try it out yet of course.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I definitely believe that there should be a video for each specific topic. It would make returning for a refresher on that particular system way easier.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464916965,1464916705][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I definitely believe that there should be a video for each specific topic. It would make returning for a refresher on that particular system way easier.
    Also any chance we will be able to use this system for our own purposes?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    This should only show when you start the game. It would be a bit odd to have it when loading a world?

Unless you mean removing that brief load screen before the Schine logo when you start the game. I assume that's going to be replaced with a black screen. It does look a bit weird to have a loading screen for a company logo intro.
    I've did some testing on the matter and have been able to completely replace the logo video with my entire unofficial trailer. Every time i load up the dev build my trailer plays in its entirety. It gets me pretty hyped to play when i see it before the main menu.

With that in mind wouldn't it be more prudent to simply swap out the 5 second video for the official trailer? the trailer already has the 5 second logo at its beginning.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464917570,1464917488][/DOUBLEPOST]
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464916965,1464916705][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Also any chance we will be able to use this system for our own purposes?
    i already have managed to add my own custom videos into the game. I made a thread about it and how to do it. [Dev Build] In-Game Video: Ideas and Possibilities

Reactions: kiraen

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I've did some testing on the matter and have been able to completely replace the logo video with my entire unofficial trailer. Every time i load up the dev build my trailer plays in its entirety. It gets me pretty hyped to play when i see it before the main menu.

With that in mind wouldn't it be more prudent to simply swap out the 5 second video for the official trailer? the trailer already has the 5 second logo at its beginning.
    Are you talking about Movie Test? That's just a dev build option for testing the video system, not going to be in release.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Are you talking about Movie Test? That's just a dev build option for testing the video system, not going to be in release.
    no, I mean the logo video that plays every time you start up game. I understand that the option in the main menu most likely wont be there in the full release but since I was able to change the short logo video into somewhat of a opening cinematic for the game is what im getting at

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    no, I mean the logo video that plays every time you start up game. I understand that the option in the main menu most likely wont be there in the full release but since I was able to change the short logo video into somewhat of a opening cinematic for the game is what im getting at
    We're not wanting to extend the waiting time to get to the main menu any longer.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    As far as I am aware we will be adding music over time. We aren't 100% on how much music we have just yet. The list of sounds and musical cues are extensive we have yet to try it out yet of course.
    Please, oh please.
    For the love of sanity.
    Allow MP3 or shortcuts in a ../music directory to play in game.
    I'm sure the starmade soundtrack will be cool. But I really would prefer my own music without having to run winamp in the background.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    We're not wanting to extend the waiting time to get to the main menu any longer.
    theres always the escape key. I see no harm in putting the official trailer as the opening movie every time you boot up the game. If people just want to get to the main menu quickly then they can just hit Esc.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    theres always the escape key. I see no harm in putting the official trailer as the opening movie every time you boot up the game. If people just want to get to the main menu quickly then they can just hit Esc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I can understand that, but..
    Maybe there should be a menu option to turn off the 'Opening Cinematic'. That way you see it at least once, or use the ESC key. This is actually pretty standard.

Seriously, when I get a new game, the first time I play I dim the lights and watch all of the opening sequences. If it's really good I'll exit without playing just to watch it again.