[Dev Build] In-Game Video: Ideas and Possibilities

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I've been messing around with the recent dev build after it was revealed that we will be getting a video player of sorts in-game. The video player itself works pretty well but still has some kinks that need to be ironed out.

Anyways I did some experimenting with file swapping and was able to add custom videos!

I was able to add some of my videos to the tutorial playlist!

You can add your own videos by adding mp4 files in the StarMade>data>video folder. To play them as part of the tutorial just add the video file to the tutorial folder and add a prefix in the same manner as the other videos (ex. 05 - My Video) (Mind the spacing on the "-". there needs to be a space between the number and the first letter of the video title or else the name of the video will be short one letter). Im still not sure how to add the descriptions to the videos. must be a file somewhere but I havent found it yet.

Once you've added the video just boot up the game and check the tutorial tab on top of your HUD when you've pressed a menu button like your inventory (I). The video should be there and will play as if you're watching out of game.

I've even managed to replace the new schine logo intro when you boot up the game!
    instead of a 5 second logo i get this:

To do this just replace the file named "SchineSplashScreen" in the video folder. The name has to be exactly the same or else the game crashes.

With this being added think of the possibilities for immersion and role play. The first thing that I though of is mission intros and briefings. Cinematic cut scenes for new games and specific points in gameplay. Movie making just got a whole lot more interesting.

Also with the new tutorial there comes the possibility of custom videos on servers! And the new intro... (Schine please do a intro video contest!)

This opens up a whole bunch of interesting possibilities. I might just start working on a custom intro video for the game.

Also for Schine, if I may make a suggestion for the tutorial videos.

I know that this is just the first iteration of in-game video but I would try and recut those videos so they mesh better with gameplay. No need for the schine logo since players will already hav seen that. Also cut out the video Outros as they advertise where to get the game, seems a awkward to have that since you've already gotten the game in order to watch it in-game.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I understand half of this and agree with all of it!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    That could also be used for short news updates on servers, keeping players up to date on recent conflicts between factions.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Configs are awsome. This should be where they show a little 5 second clip about the past update. Or something.
    that could work but that might be a little too annoying for schine to have to keep switching out the video every update. the clip doesnt have to be just 5 seconds. As long as the video is named "SchineSplashScreen" it will play the video in its entirety. Thats why im so hyped about this. People can make custom intros for the game!

Right now the new main menu doesnt even have the name and logo of the game. Booting up the dev build just shows you a 5 second video of the schine logo. I mean thats fine but when you boot up a game you want to see at least a title screen. Thats why i really hope that they swap it out for the official trailer or something before this update is released, makes more sense.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Oh schema if we get at least audio streaming capability. Permament player run starmade news stations anyone?

Reactions: Dire Venom

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would like to see logic trigger client-side short videos.

One of my first computer games ever had a random battle animation play in the middle of a battle. It was fun and reduced the monotony. (This was in the days of turn-based combat.) It would be great to have event-triggered little animations like that.

Examples:
    A short video showing changing floor lights as an elevator moves.
    A quick animation of a particle beam firing every time a weapon is triggered.
    Short video showing a door opening when a button is pushed.
    Lots of Adventure/Adventure map possibilities.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    videos on display bocks? no? just me?

Reactions: jayman38

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    maybe. we'll see that happens :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464913013,1464912925][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I would like to see logic trigger client-side short videos.

One of my first computer games ever had a random battle animation play in the middle of a battle. It was fun and reduced the monotony. (This was in the days of turn-based combat.) It would be great to have event-triggered little animations like that.

Examples:
    A short video showing changing floor lights as an elevator moves.
    A quick animation of a particle beam firing every time a weapon is triggered.
    Short video showing a door opening when a button is pushed.
    Lots of Adventure/Adventure map possibilities.
    so something like the command block from minecraft? Not sure if the devs have said anything on something like that but i know its been brought up before. It would be pretty crazy awesome if they did implement something like that though

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hum... So basically using a display block to trigger a video to play? That could be pretty cool. Especially if servers get to add custom videos, and have them "Stream" to the client for viewing. Would make any kind of "Server Rules" thing much more bearable then the normal "read all this text".... Or WAY more annoying depending on how competent they were at making it.