Dev Blog : March 14th 2015

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have two questions.
    1. Is there a plan to allow players to enter a turret without having to use its core? I feel that this is one of the reasons that ships don't usually have multiple players stationed on them, and this would be a nice feature to go along with the "rails" update.
    Yes, very much this! I hope there are more reasons for functional interiors planned :)

Reactions: Drakkart

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    1. Is there a plan to allow players to enter a turret without having to use its core? I feel that this is one of the reasons that ships don't usually have multiple players stationed on them, and this would be a nice feature to go along with the "rails" update.
    This is where some captains chair would be useful, players could have it exposed without having the core in danger.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    so are these dev blogs on a set schedule like once a month or just whenever?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    - the item filtering system atm is very time intense to setup a sorting system any plans on changeing the interface to allow for multiple choice selections from a search/filter, the search/filter remembering what was last looked for, categories being available like in the shopmenu or maybe a copy of the shop UI with tree view?
    - are there planned changes to the Ai system? Atm the ai is very limited in it's uses. i would wish for more intelligent combat patterns, making use of docked drones, staying in range of it's weapons around the maximum range of them? redocking after combat and also entities like leeches jumping/getting fired over to the enemy ship and utilizing power and shield drain to fill it's own system with shields and power to fire it's weapons. Also an ai mode that delivers disintegrators to an enemy ship?
    - along this are there plans to make the use of long range weaponry and automated drones viable by greatly enlarging the view distance/ not unloading sectors with batteling factions in them etc.? what use is a 9.6 km range missile if i only can "see" 2 sectors in every direction? what use are drones batteling it out with an enemy ship when they stop operating as soon as they float out of a players view. this whole combat system really needs an overhaul if you ever want to see something out of the actual box.
    - Are there plans which will allow the transfer of cargo from a ship to a station and vice versa?
    - any plans for stacks to become limited
    - regarding balance, any plans to a switch to a more curved balancing system? for example weapons not haveing a fixed 5 damamge and 50 energycost per one block instead going for curves which would favor small weapons over really big ones in efficiency? same for other mechanics in the game adding curves instead of softcaps... for example first block of a wepon gives 25 damage and costs 230 power 1000 weapon blocks do 5000 damage and cost 50000 energy and 5 thousand weapon blocks do 20000damage and cost 300000 energy.
    - are you planing on giving blocks some kind of interaction functions like as mentioned blue personal computers offering access to a mail system.
    - there is a questing system to come to enich the experience of exploration right? will there be rewards for doing so? will they have any meaning?
    - Contest for more pirateships somewhen?
    - how about more stations?
    - how about more npc factions

- i would want to see robots in the game, interacting with terminals to operate a turret, following the player around or gathering ressources...
    assembling other robots by player given blueprints. Nothing you considered yet but i think it would kind of fit into the game.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    - the item filtering system atm is very time intense to setup a sorting system any plans on changeing the interface to allow for multiple choice selections from a search/filter, the search/filter remembering what was last looked for, categories being available like in the shopmenu or maybe a copy of the shop UI with tree view?
    - are there planned changes to the Ai system? Atm the ai is very limited in it's uses. i would wish for more intelligent combat patterns, making use of docked drones, staying in range of it's weapons around the maximum range of them? redocking after combat and also entities like leeches jumping/getting fired over to the enemy ship and utilizing power and shield drain to fill it's own system with shields and power to fire it's weapons. Also an ai mode that delivers disintegrators to an enemy ship?
    - along this are there plans to make the use of long range weaponry and automated drones viable by greatly enlarging the view distance/ not unloading sectors with batteling factions in them etc.? what use is a 9.6 km range missile if i only can "see" 2 sectors in every direction? what use are drones batteling it out with an enemy ship when they stop operating as soon as they float out of a players view. this whole combat system really needs an overhaul if you ever want to see something out of the actual box.
    - Are there plans which will allow the transfer of cargo from a ship to a station and vice versa?
    - regarding balance, any plans to a switch to a more curved balancing system? for example weapons not haveing a fixed 5 damamge and 50 energycost per one block instead going for curves which would favor small weapons over really big ones in efficiency? same for other mechanics in the game adding curves instead of softcaps... for example first block of a wepon gives 25 damage and costs 230 power 1000 weapon blocks do 5000 damage and cost 50000 energy and 5 thousand weapon blocks do 20000damage and cost 300000 energy.
    - are you planing on giving blocks some kind of interaction functions like as mentioned blue personal computers offering access to a mail system.
    - there is a questing system to come to enich the experience of exploration right? will there be rewards for doing so? will they have any meaning?

- i would want to see robots in the game, interacting with terminals to operate a turret, following the player around or gathering ressources...
    assembling other robots by player given blueprints. Nothing you considered yet but i think it would kind of fit into the game.
    I really want weapon curves :) would make tiny ships powerful :D

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I really want weapon curves :) would make tiny ships powerful :D
    Allowing custom formulas for weapon stats(that aren't measurements of the block-groups) would definetly solve that, sadly, doing so would be more or less performance intensive, especially if not done right.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i'll answer what i can

Filtering for items will be made more efficient at some point

AI will definitely be reworked at some point, though specifics aren't planned out at this time.

i think this will all come down to performance optimizations, it isn't something that's necessarily been planned.

yes

there's pros and cons to either way with this

balance is always happening, this would be more something Calbiri can speak to

pretty sure this was mentioned as planned

- there is a questing system to come to enrich the experience of exploration right? will there be rewards for doing so? will they have any meaning?
    there will be definitely be questing and rewards for doing so. In my opinion they will have meaning as well.

maybe

probably

planned

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So, you can't answer my question regarding custom logic blocks? k then.
    There's plans to allow some form of LUA scripting in a block, that would probably be that solution. going via XML for it might be too performance heavy and takes that scripting gameplay out of the game where it probably should be.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    So, umm, what's your question?
    my question is if thoes bug applie for evryone and if they do are they going to be repaire,and i forgot about that will this game have armys for planetary invasion?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1426518683,1426518540][/DOUBLEPOST]and when is air going to come in this game(force fields doors arent very of a use

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    There's plans to allow some form of LUA scripting in a block, that would probably be that solution. going via XML for it might be too performance heavy and takes that scripting gameplay out of the game where it probably should be.
    The request was regarding modding, but whatever. Also, the XML tag would only refer to a java class which contains the algorithm, so…not performance heavy at all if handled right.

Reaction score
    Is there talk of more activities coming to the game, things took other than mine resources to build warships to kill other players in order to steal their asteroids? Some more goals would make the game notably more long-lived. Not necessarily a food system but maybe something interesting to do with scanners or ground enemies that expand upon the spider or some more things to do on a ship. It was awesome when medical blocks came out, I wonder what other tho HS you could get up to.

Reaction score
    Does this mean certain events will be able to trigger command blocks? I want only red lights to be on when my shields go down.

Also, are their any plans to make lighting draw a little bit of power so that they flicker when you run out? I guess that could just be personally implemented with the previous set-up.

Reaction score
    -Will moving parts have some sort of a gap between them, like docked ships do currently? I hope not.
    If you where to have the blocks flush ie no gap.
    I think that would cause a collision damage every time it is used. So if you run a server that has collision damage turned on it would brake every time. I think a gap like we have for docked entity's is a good way to go.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I want only red lights to be on when my shields go down.
    I want a lighting signal when my shields take damage, let alone go down! I am frequently under fire and utterly oblivious of the fact as I go about mining or whatever. (I'm flying a ship with high shield reinforcement relative to what pirates put out.)