Dev Blog : February 26th 2015

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you're wondering about the details of this "performance" increase in the latest dev build, I can mention the stuff I found in it.

Network transfer has been optimized, there is almost no unnecessary data sharing left. In release everything you did got shared with all online players. Imagine 40 players, building, salvaging and fighting...That's a lot of data.

Also a new in-game tool to observe network data, press F12 for the menu and/or enable it in the options to put it on your HUD.

Performance gain: FPS is almost doubled in most cases. (applies on all entities)
    • 30 radius planet: 225 fps -> 499 fps
    • 190 radius planet: 71 fps -> 125 fps
    • 284 radius planet: 37 fps -> 64 fps
    Also debug exceptions so we can easily track down bad network stuff. (this will probably disabled for release)

I'm sure there is more but I can only tell you so much with 100% certainty.
    Lancake, that's music to my ears. And a great relief for me lag-ridden computer :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hurrah. I love constant news updates! Even if they aren't about the game. I just like to know that the Devs are still here and doing stuff.

Reaction score
    Now kids if you look over to the left you'll see a faint glimmer of hope out in the distance. :eek:

Last edited:
    Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    Hurrah. I love constant news updates! Even if they aren't about the game. I just like to know that the Devs are still here and doing stuff.
    Indeed. News lets us know the lights are still on in the shop. Few developers can get away with no news... Like BethesdaGS... 3.25 years later, and nothing. Hopefully they give us something at PAX...

But anyhoo... some news is good news.

Reaction score
    ZOMG I JUST CHECKED AND NONE OF MY SUGGESTIONS HAVE PREFIXES CUZ THE DEVS ARE BIASED AND HATE AMERICA AND FREEDOM AND STUFF AND REASONS!!!11!eleventy!!!!!!111!

I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't gotten that in a thread yet. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a mandatory rule of all game suggestion boards, and since I didn't want anyone to get in trouble for not obeying the rules, I went ahead and posted a whine/devs biased comment.

Also, I'm on a number of legally prescribed medications.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    ZOMG I JUST CHECKED AND NONE OF MY SUGGESTIONS HAVE PREFIXES CUZ THE DEVS ARE BIASED AND HATE AMERICA AND FREEDOM AND STUFF AND REASONS!!!11!eleventy!!!!!!111!

I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't gotten that in a thread yet. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a mandatory rule of all game suggestion boards, and since I didn't want anyone to get in trouble for not obeying the rules, I went ahead and posted a whine/devs biased comment.

Also, I'm on a number of legally prescribed medications.
    Wat?
    How can a negative bias towards <insert nation/ethnical group/culture/subculture here> even affect a suggestion if you don't have any trace stating you are part of <insert nation/ethnical group/culture/subculture here> in your post, signature or on your profile? :P

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Since we're doing this I took the liberty of updating the Wiki articles on Hulls. They actually tell you stuff now. I also ran in to a lot of Article name inconstancies. Most if not all of the Advanced Armors use the old name "Hardened Hulls". I'm not sure how to change the name on the articles otherwise they would be updated too

Reactions: Panpiper and Lecic

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Since we're doing this I took the liberty of updating the Wiki articles on Hulls. They actually tell you stuff now. I also ran in to a lot of Article name inconstancies. Most if not all of the Advanced Armors use the old name "Hardened Hulls". I'm not sure how to change the name on the articles otherwise they would be updated too
    If you are doing a clean up of the wiki, could you take a poke at effects? I found a few were inconsistent on where the actual info was (either on the module or the computer), and Ion seems to have EMP's description for some reason.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    If you are doing a clean up of the wiki, could you take a poke at effects? I found a few were inconsistent on where the actual info was (either on the module or the computer), and Ion seems to have EMP's description for some reason.
    I intend to eventually check all the block articles to make sure they're correct and up to date so I'll see what I can do. Still not sure how to change the names of pages but from what I've read i might have to just delete an old/defunct page and start a new one

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score

- love to hear about news the game is great atm its like a dream game come true not sence ms space simulator has the game board been so big if anyone even remembers that game.

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I intend to eventually check all the block articles to make sure they're correct and up to date so I'll see what I can do. Still not sure how to change the names of pages but from what I've read i might have to just delete an old/defunct page and start a new one
    To rename a page, you have to use the move function.

Here's a guide for editing wikis: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents

Reaction score
    Oooh this is different.

So in 0ther words you're working mostly on performance issues instead of features? I can get by that, personally I think that's a very good idea.

Good luck and godspeed to schine devs

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Excellent. Good watching this game develop. It's gone from being a major overhaul of minecraft, to being a true game. Still a bunch of problems, but in my opinion, no game is ever truely complete.

Reaction score
    Indeed. News lets us know the lights are still on in the shop. Few developers can get away with no news... Like BethesdaGS... 3.25 years later, and nothing. Hopefully they give us something at PAX...

But anyhoo... some news is good news.
    Pax? I like Pax, can Schine Pax too?? Pretty please!

(It's not actually cheap to fly a team to pax and rent a booth and rooms, so dont mistake this as me hinting at us going, just saying it would be cool!)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425111938,1425111880][/DOUBLEPOST]
    There will be new block stats for various blocks in this next patch, I'd advise waiting on editing the wiki until after that. I'd hate to make you do extra work for nothing.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    There will be new block stats for various blocks in this next patch, I'd advise waiting on editing the wiki until after that. I'd hate to make you do extra work for nothing.
    Too late! already did. :(

I might need some help then

Reaction score
    Well, on the bright side, schema has added a nice new tool that lets you select a specific stat in the block editor and see what each block id is set to in that stat. That should help you greatly.