Dev Blog : February 26th 2015

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

You said you wanted to hear more from us, and here we are. Typically we've kept to just releasing news and information about updates. But you as the community wanted to hear more from us, and while the team works on a tonne of projects, you know; what goes hand in hand with developing a game, some of us are going to attempt to maintain a bit of a dev blog. It's not going to be rigidly formal, it's not necessarily going to be simple dot points of the latest features added into the most recent dev build, but for those wanting to hear more from the developers here's one way we're attempting to do so.

From the get-go I'll say that while we may let you know about certain features ahead of time like we have been, there will still be some cards we play close to our proverbial chest. Not because we don't want your input as a community (and you'll be hearing about some exciting plans soon that will require your input as a community) but because we have a lot of active features and projects going at the one time and each will need to fit in with the others. Until those features have made it into the game to be actually put next to existing systems, it is still all up in the air. But we will still attempt to share what we can when we can.

The community as a whole has been great at developing ideas. Our suggestions section of the forums is huge, and constantly active with new ideas. In the interest of trying to help steer discussions within that part of the forums we've introduced Forum Prefixes to let you know which ideas we have planned, what we're interested in, what don't fit pre-existing plans for the game, and what we think you should brainstorm more. While it's still in its infancy we hope that as it gets used more and more, it will help spur on even more great ideas. You can find out more about the prefixes here. For those interested in seeing what has been tagged as planned then you can click here but in a nutshell, we've confirmed from recent threads posted that the following are indeed planned, though this may not be new news to a lot of you if you have been around for the Q&As during last year (dot point time):

• More news posts (wait, I think I can change this to in development now?)
    • New decoration blocks
    • In-game chat channels for public, factions etc
    • More types of NPCs
    • Force Field blocks
    • Shipyards
    • A proper Creative Mode
    • Improved features on Permission Blocks
    So with all this planned what have we been actually doing? Why no new features? Did you notice the addition of cargo in the latest hot fix notes? At the moment the big ticket is improving performance. The GUI update introduced a new series of bugs that have been hopefully all addressed by now but at the moment that and performance is where most of the team's energy has been going. That's not to say don't expect some exciting announcements soon, just saying be patient with the team, we're spread across the globe, it takes time to work in that sort of environment.

Well that's all for this week. I'm not going to say there's a schedule for when these will come out because that will just end up biting me, but we'll try to keep these fairly regular.

As always, have any questions or queries about the content of this dev blog then leave a post in the forums, if one of us knows the answer someone will reply, or someone in the community will. I'll say now that as the dev blog is a little more informal then it's purely the opinions of myself writing it unless specified. Until next time.

- Bench

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    All we wanted mate. Keep it up!

Reactions: Bench
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yay first dev blog Good to see inside stuff like this keep it coming

Reaction score
    Nice!

I thought the dev focus right now would be on the rail system, but I'm glad you guys focus on bugs and performance issues.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Finally, I've been waiting for a devblog thing for a long time. It's nice to see you getting so involved in the community Bench

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Nice!

I thought the dev focus right now would be on the rail system, but I'm glad you guys focus on bugs and performance issues.
    With the introduction of a brand new system there's usually a bug fix/performance cycle straight after. The GUI overhaul was a big one and the rail system requires some optimization and changing of existing core code so this process is taking a bit longer. As we continue to add in brand new functionality we'll experience more of these bug fix/performance periods. Expect that there will be a long one after the rail system as well once it is implemented.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Personally, I think the game already has plenty enough decorative blocks. (I know, I know, those are easy to add, requiring no new mechanics, only textures, still, for that exact reason, calling those a new feature is a bit cheap)
    I do welcome, with all my heart, any work that involves stability and bug extermination though. However, I don't see on the list something that I really miss being properly done in the game: Sound effects. There are so many sound resources in the game files already, yet only a fraction of them (and admit it, even those are quite sloppily) in use. Any hints when will we get those?

Reaction score
    Bench to help manage what ideas have already been put out there and which ones are planned according to your dev blog. Maybe add a planned and suggested rating feature alongside the like, agree, funny ratings. This would take the pressure off the moderating staff for duplicate suggestions or planned ideas.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Bench to help manage what ideas have already been put out there and which ones are planned according to your dev blog. Maybe add a planned and suggested rating feature alongside the like, agree, funny ratings. This would take the pressure off the moderating staff for duplicate suggestions or planned ideas.
    this is essentially what the forum prefixes are there for. The reason we went with them is they were already an existing mechanic in the forums system, and had additional features like being able to filter forums by them etc.

Personally, I think the game already has plenty enough decorative blocks. (I know, I know, those are easy to add, requiring no new mechanics, only textures, still, for that exact reason, calling those a new feature is a bit cheap)
    I do welcome, with all my heart, any work that involves stability and bug extermination though. However, I don't see on the list something that I really miss being properly done in the game: Sound effects. There are so many sound resources in the game files already, yet only a fraction of them (and admit it, even those are quite sloppily) in use. Any hints when will we get those?
    the list above only shows a fraction of what is currently planned, and in fact is purely based on what recent suggestion threads were posted. music and sound effects are definitely a planned feature.

Reaction score
    ahh gotcha, so there is already a system implemented to deal with these measures. Koo!

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    If you're wondering about the details of this "performance" increase in the latest dev build, I can mention the stuff I found in it.

Network transfer has been optimized, there is almost no unnecessary data sharing left. In release everything you did got shared with all online players. Imagine 40 players, building, salvaging and fighting...That's a lot of data.

Also a new in-game tool to observe network data, press F12 for the menu and/or enable it in the options to put it on your HUD.

Performance gain: FPS is almost doubled in most cases. (applies on all entities)
    • 30 radius planet: 225 fps -> 499 fps
    • 190 radius planet: 71 fps -> 125 fps
    • 284 radius planet: 37 fps -> 64 fps
    Also debug exceptions so we can easily track down bad network stuff. (this will probably disabled for release)

I'm sure there is more but I can only tell you so much with 100% certainty.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Thanks a bunch! Good to know you focus on performance now for sorry to say that but it is necessary :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Really excited to see this happening, and I'm happy as always that the dev team is involved with the community in some fashion. Really looking forward to those forcefields and shipyards.