Dev Blog : February 17th 2016

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm the prebuild is active nothing finished enough to be server death causing yet though. >_>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'll go ahead and post a quick suggestion for un-rendered battles then:
    Reduce every ship's attack and defense to two values: Optimal and Sub-Optimal.
    Which of these the ship uses in an attack is a function of its turn-rate, acceleration, and a random number.
    give every ship an attack "turn", keeping track of damage types and amounts only.
    Variables could be included as to number of weapons, number of ships attacking, and fleet morale.
    Fleets should try to escape if in an un-winnable condition.
    Damage should only be applied to the ships when rendered by a client, and should be placed more or less randomly, but assigned by damage "type", eg: Missile, cannon, beam.

OTHER SUGGESTION: Let players occasionally discover the debris fields of battles where they occur. All materials should be "scrap" like the stations.

Reaction score
    I love that rotation, Schema! It looks like a Yuuzhan Vong Fleet.

If something like that is still in, I'm gonna need to make Yuuzhan Vong ships

Reaction score
    All I gotta say is that NPC's should be able to have moral where they can kamikaze a bigger ship. Lets just say you have a fleet with a ship full of crazy npcs willing to sacrifice themselves(I know this is very dark, but I see it as an actual thing people could use. Albeit this is a dark reality of how things would work) for the empire. They would actually need to have that kind of mentality or they wouldn't. Anyways load an unstable reactor onto the shuttle and crash now there is a big hole in the enemy battleship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not sure a kamikaze is a morale issue. More like a loyalty issue.
    Anyway, I agree that this should be a thing. If not in the base game, then I would definitely use this mod.
    It could make for some interesting proceduraly generated factions at the very least.

Reactions: nightrune

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    All I gotta say is that NPC's should be able to have moral where they can kamikaze a bigger ship. Lets just say you have a fleet with a ship full of crazy npcs willing to sacrifice themselves(I know this is very dark, but I see it as an actual thing people could use. Albeit this is a dark reality of how things would work) for the empire. They would actually need to have that kind of mentality or they wouldn't. Anyways load an unstable reactor onto the shuttle and crash now there is a big hole in the enemy battleship.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound overpowered in the slightest...

Reaction score
    can't... help... waiting... for it...
    can't... manage... the hype... feelings...
    If you guys there at Schine need a dishwasher and this may fasten the process, I'm ready to wash those damn dishez.
    All of this sounds hilarious.

One minor note: I am sure, cargo lines are not needed, since there are no cargo lines' traces in space. When you hunt the freighters in space, you just stay near the trading stations waiting for a caravan to come and then track it back and take it down. Simplifying this by making cargo lines visible would ruin a huge amount of "hunt fun".
    Anyway, gosh, I am so excited... Is it testable on a dev server?

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    One minor note: I am sure, cargo lines are not needed, since there are no cargo lines' traces in space. When you hunt the freighters in space, you just stay near the trading stations waiting for a caravan to come and then track it back and take it down. Simplifying this by making cargo lines visible would ruin a huge amount of "hunt fun".
    Eh, it's currently impossible to follow things, though. Jump range is actually higher than scanner range; I think we may need it to be possible for scanners to trace who recently warped out of a sector and what direction they went.

Reaction score
    Yeah, that doesn't sound overpowered in the slightest...
    Simple as making turrets that can take them out before they get to you. It would be like an anti - missile machine gun turret works in real life.(I'm not going to explain how these work. I had people say it's impossible, but please don't start that's all. If you want to know look it up.)

Reaction score
    Simple as making turrets that can take them out before they get to you. It would be like an anti - missile machine gun turret works in real life.(I'm not going to explain how these work. I had people say it's impossible, but please don't start that's all. If you want to know look it up.)
    Not really. You'd need a massive turret to completely destroy a ship in Starmades engine. Unless their ship is made entirely of warheads, but even then turrets aren't always that reliable.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You realize Starmade already has point defense, right? PD doesn't make something like this not overpowered.

Reactions: WitherFireGaming
    Reaction score
    Please just ensure AI in general is working next release. We need working pirates and trade guild.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    So happy to see the fleet update is almost upon us. I have been thinking about sending out fleets for scouting, mining and fighting for such a long time now and the update looks even more promising :D

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    So happy to see the fleet update is almost upon us. I have been thinking about sending out fleets for scouting, mining and fighting for such a long time now and the update looks even more promising :D
    I may actually attempt to join a server now!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    lol I'm working on a prepackaged mining fleet station and all. :) That way all I have to do is deploy a mining station in a system I want to mine from and than have transport ships going back and forth between it and HQ. :) What I'm wanting to know is if the AI is going to be able to trigger logic for things like launching drones or maybe preventing the docked mining fleet from leaving until it gets to a new spot. Also maybe being able to use some kind of logic trigger to change what the AI is up to. Like say the carrier mining ship gets full and has to return to base of drop off its load, so it needs to be able to call the dockable fleet back and jump back to base before going back out again, also it'd need to be able to trigger the logic to launch the fleet again after it is docked. :)