Destroyable missiles

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Indeed, with the new weapon system going into place, defensive phalanx like systems should be possible. I would add that AI turrets should track missiles heading on a general vector towards your ship and shoot at them.

Reaction score
    That would be pretty neat (not to mention realistic). It would probably make for some pretty cool scenes, too. I think it may end up being difficult to code, however.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not really, Izikiel... If Schema can make planet cores have health points, he can probably do the same with missiles. However, I'd want there to be an AI priority setting, if this is added - Missile or Ship. (This could be extended to include settings for ships, like Shields Down, Smallest, Largest, and other possibilities, but for now...)

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    Hm, true. And I was speaking from my only meager knowledge of programming, not from a wealth of experience. However, I do think there is a at least minute difference between them; that missiles move quickly (in comparison, at least) and there can more of them in a single area than there can be planets. But, as you said, the designers may have already solved that issue. I sincerely hope so.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    if i had known that it was already suggested then i wouldn't have made that thread. *sign* i guess you beat me to the punch

Reaction score
    We would need something to buff the missiles' effectiveness to make this balanced, ideas? IIRC, we already have an explosive effect/armor ignore for them, though I feel using this as the buff introduces problems when you want to use a different effect system such as Ion to beat shields, since it then pigeonholes them into that role* compared to other weapons.
    EDIT: *Explosive/armor-buster.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We would need something to buff the missiles' effectiveness to make this balanced, ideas?
    Make Missiles faster, but keep the slow turning arc. Means large ships firing their anti-missile phalanxes have to have very good timing, and smaller ships without anti-missile systems can still shoot/dodge them if the Pilot is quick enough :)

Reaction score
    This and reduce the number of missiles. I'm currently working on a battleship and it's missile turret fires at least 20 (it's a small wall of light, this is a turret built in the smallest cube to encourage the little sphere idea)

And to put my biggest problem with missiles in a simple way, imagine releasing a bunch of moths next to a open nuclear reactor (that glows). Half of the get away from it knowing what they're meant to do but the others circle around for a while and die. Replace moths with missiles, the open nuclear reactor with the ship the turret's docked to and die with explode. Granted, they don't do damage, but it's still annoying, and will become a problem when the number is reduced (like it should).

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The ability to shoot down missiles almost sounds overpowered. I mean, you can't shoot down cannon rounds. Wouldn't AI-controlled interceptors just discourage anyone from using missiles at all in favor of high-velocity explosive cannon rounds?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The ability to shoot down missiles almost sounds overpowered. I mean, you can't shoot down cannon rounds. Wouldn't AI-controlled interceptors just discourage anyone from using missiles at all in favor of high-velocity explosive cannon rounds?
    High velocity cannon rounds are not self-guided. OK, Turrets can aut0-target, but they're not "Fire and forget". If you make Missiles very small and high speed, then they're very difficult to hit with anything that doesn't have an instant hit or area-of-effect.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here's my idea: Since a missile needs a hitbox to be destructible, why not scale the hitbox based on the amount of damage said missile deals? A single-module missile would be essentially impossible to shoot down, while a 1000-module missile would have a hitbox of... I'm thinking about 1 meter. The graphical effect should really be worked on to reflect this, though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Missiles could be made destroyable using the new damage pulse weapon, this would give us at least some way to defend against them.
    I do like this idea, it would be cool to add flares too. i hope to make my small turrets shoot the missles and my big turrets to go after the enemy ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here's my idea: Since a missile needs a hitbox to be destructible, why not scale the hitbox based on the amount of damage said missile deals? A single-module missile would be essentially impossible to shoot down, while a 1000-module missile would have a hitbox of... I'm thinking about 1 meter. The graphical effect should really be worked on to reflect this, though.
    I agree. It makes sense that a more destructive missile would be bigger, and therefore easier to shoot. Although I still think a well-timed damage-pulse discharge should be able to take-out even small missiles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I do like this idea, it would be cool to add flares too. i hope to make my small turrets shoot the missles and my big turrets to go after the enemy ship.
    An extra option in the Bobby AI settings to target missiles should sort this out :)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe a pulse should be the only weapon that can destroy missiles.