Deep, Dark, Void Horror.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive

Lurking in the darkness in the deep beyond the light, lives that which the universe recoils against. It is the antithesis of life, the demons that were before the universe was born. The war continues between the star light and the void. Horrors creep, tendrils always prodding for weakness.

How far dare humans venture? The further from the galactic core, the more likely one might encounter these horrors. However for the brave and the foolhardy, there is promise amongst the peril. These things are built with elements outside of our physics, their components seemingly defy our laws. Salvaging them is lucrative indeed, using them more tempting still.

They are jealous of their power however. The more one avails one's self of their components, the more attention one garners, the greater the likelihood of an encounter and the greater their numbers. Will the forces of light be strong enough to stave off their wrath? Or will our own greed prove to be our undoing?

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    Sorry, what is the suggestion? I just see a bunch of roleplay nonsense.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If I can already beat them, why would it matter if they send more after me? I will just kill even more and get even more overpowered components.

Also, an actual suggestion would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    This would be a new threat, independent of pirates. They would be ships built using blocks and maybe even build techniques different from the standard ships humans start with. For instance, the void ships could be built using the old power system, complete with docked power, auxiliary reactors, etc.. Alternatively, new blocks could be invented for their use. These blocks (including old power system blocks if those were used) would NOT be buildable using the craft system and not purchasable unless a player salvaged and sold them (for ridiculous prices).

A new universe would spawn stations unique to these void denizens in the intergalactic void, as well as any sectors inside of a galaxy that does not have stars. They defend their territory as would any NPC. However player owned ships that have used some of the components from these void ships, have a greater probability of triggering encounters and trigger greater numbers of them when they do. The rate of increase in encounter triggering and the rate of increase in the numbers that spawn should be independently configurable in server settings.

If I can already beat them, why would it matter if they send more after me? I will just kill even more and get even more overpowered components.
    If the encounter increases the numbers in the spawn faster than you gain in power from their salvage, that would prove problematic. By being able to control the rate increase in server configs, a happy spot could be found.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Having really big monsters like this to defeat may be fun. It would change a lot of things in the game.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Having really big monsters like this to defeat may be fun. It would change a lot of things in the game.
    The basic idea was that something like this would be relatively easy to implement in the game. It would be also extremely easy to exclude (using server settings) from a game if someone did not want this sort of play in their game. Given the relative ease with which this could be done, and the wealth of game play it could provide, I think something like this warrants serious consideration.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    OMG what a great idea ; ) BUT balancing such stuff is complicated man, not probable. *sigh* i feel ya though.
    Panpiper Awesome ship m8 great build or a good shot of a - babylon 5, is it not? - thing

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    This would be a new threat, independent of pirates. They would be ships built using blocks and maybe even build techniques different from the standard ships humans start with. For instance, the void ships could be built using the old power system, complete with docked power, auxiliary reactors, etc.. Alternatively, new blocks could be invented for their use. These blocks (including old power system blocks if those were used) would NOT be buildable using the craft system and not purchasable unless a player salvaged and sold them (for ridiculous prices).

A new universe would spawn stations unique to these void denizens in the intergalactic void, as well as any sectors inside of a galaxy that does not have stars. They defend their territory as would any NPC. However player owned ships that have used some of the components from these void ships, have a greater probability of triggering encounters and trigger greater numbers of them when they do. The rate of increase in encounter triggering and the rate of increase in the numbers that spawn should be independently configurable in server settings.

If the encounter increases the numbers in the spawn faster than you gain in power from their salvage, that would prove problematic. By being able to control the rate increase in server configs, a happy spot could be found.
    When you said those words it turned me off just 25%...

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Here's the problem I see with this. You aren't really looking at this from a strategic level. When it comes down to it, either the bonuses of controlling these ships or blocks outweighs the negatives of having incursions into your territory by these void dwellers, in which case everyone will do it, or it won't, and no one will do it. I don't see what this adds to the game. It's the same shit as tiered systems. Everyone who suggests it looks at it in a 1v1 perspective instead of at the strategic perspective.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just make them completly ignore shields and be immune to missiles : ) Good luck adventurers!

Reactions: jayman38

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This could be inplemented now using custom block packs and cust NPC factions. Servers have implemented custom bllcks before without issue to the wider community, and if released as packs it would simplify integration with existing servers.

Reactions: Panpiper
    Reaction score
    all im going to say is as good of an idea as these are, they neither fit starmade as a whole and aren't such a great idea for servers period.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    all im going to say is as good of an idea as these are, they neither fit starmade as a whole and aren't such a great idea for servers period.
    There are going to be some increasing threats in the void, according to the first QnA with Schine on the Discord channel. Also, hey Criss! :davehurr:

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    eh, well i mean the idea of something that powerful invading server sectors doing things that are not so great for the servr host or the player
    1.causing a ton of ping and lag for its size
    2.it getting to spawn would basicly discourage new players and old one
    3.it would need a serious nerf in order to not be just basicly a black hole level of unbeatable

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    eh, well i mean the idea of something that powerful invading server sectors doing things that are not so great for the servr host or the player
    1.causing a ton of ping and lag for its size
    2.it getting to spawn would basicly discourage new players and old one
    3.it would need a serious nerf in order to not be just basicly a black hole level of unbeatable
    1. I don't think it would lag since it's only 3D model so no physic to calculate and it's not a player entity.
    2. It would give challenge to old player and new player usually stay near the core of the galaxy so they shouldn't encouter those horrors
    3. According to the size of some player's ships I don't think it would be unbeatable but of course you shouldn't be able to beat it with a starter ship that's more or less the basic idea.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Deebus this thread was dead until you came along. This is outright necromancy.

The "suggestion" itself isn't too bad, the salient points being;
    -They dislike starlight and/or normal matter. They should avoid getting in melee range with anything.
    -They don't have to obey the laws of physics we know, so collisions for any models don't have to exist if collision checks become an issue (which is rare enough when everyone is minding their own ps and qs, especially if these actively avoid it.)
    -They occasionally approach star systems to hunt or actively destroy things, who cares what their motives really are.
    -They can be salvaged somehow and provide new tech?
    -Anyone who keeps salvaged components of them becomes a target of increased attacks.
    -Attacks become less likely the deeper into the galaxy you go.

What's interesting here vs the other active thread is the lack of a hording or zombie mechanic. They're not turning your ships into zombies, they are self sufficient in terms of where they come from and small groups of large individuals pose the biggest threats.