Deconstructing in Shipyards

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have returned to Starmade after about 3 years. I have some questions regarding shipyards:

1. What are the requirements to deconstruct a ship in a shipyard?

My shipyard seems to be in working order, or at least partially. I don't see any red error messages over the arcs, but not all place order options are available in the menu.

The options to deconstruct to design, and deconstruct without design are not available (darkened red) in my shipyard. Create new design, and create new design from blueprint are available. I assume that 'deconstruct without design' doesn't require a design to be loaded, just a ship docked.

My ship was heavily damaged by a star. I just want to deconstruct it without design. (I had rebooted systems and repaired hull hp at my shop prior to docking to the shipyard core anchor in case this caused any issues.) The shipyard recognizes that my ship is docked to the core anchor because the ship name appears on the display. The shipyard has 5m cargo space linked to it, so it has space for the blocks. What am I missing?

2. How long should it take a shipyard to create a design from a ship or blueprint? Hours? Does it depend on ship size?
    If so, How long should it take for a 35k ship? How long for a 80k ship?

Just trying to get my shipyard to do something, I clicked the Create New Design option with the star damaged ship docked. The shipyard display said it was creating a design... It said that for hours and doesn't show any progress meter or percent complete. I figured it was glitched or stuck so I manually un-docked my ship from the core anchor to see if that would clear the order and reset the shipyard. (The shipyard wouldn't let me cancel the order or un-dock while it was creating a design.) This created an issue because once my ship un-docked, the core anchor appeared as a hologram of a ship core, yet it was solid and prevented me from moving my ship off the core anchor. So I deleted some of my ship to move off the core anchor/holo-core. Went to the shipyard computer; it had a design in the inventory, with the name of a completely different ship than the damaged one I had docked. After several hours of supposedly "creating a design", all it seemed to do was place a ship core on the core anchor... I deleted the produced design of the single ship core with a different ship name. I re-docked the star damaged ship to the core anchor (after removing and replacing the rail docker) and it still wont let me deconstruct it.

3. Selecting 'create new design', is supposed to create a design from the ship docked to the core anchor right? For some reason my shipyard named the new design after a ship that I had just spawned in, which was not docked to the station or the shipyard core anchor. It was the last ship I had entered though, because the damaged ship I had already docked to the core anchor.

4. Can you create a new design from a damaged ship? Can you deconstruct a damaged ship?

5. In build mode on my station, opening the shipyard computer with R, and selecting edit design transports me into build mode on the ship core docked to the core anchor; pressing R again then spits me out by the core anchor in the middle of the shipyard instead of back to build mode in my station, or next to the shipyard computer where I started. Is that the intent? If there is a way to not have to spawn a ship core and travel 1km back to my shipyard computer, storages, and factory, every-time I edit a ship in the shipyard, that would be great. If you can select where you exit to, from the shipyard edit design mode, where is that?

Reaction score
    1. Make sure your shipyard is big enough. Sounds like it isn't. The Cs of the shipyard should surround the entire ship. If you can provide a screenshot I can help further.

2. The shipyard will pull 2500 blocks every couple of seconds. For larger ships you are looking at a few minutes. If you do not have the resources building stops completely.

3. Create New Design allows you to do just that. Create a core that you can build off of. The biggest advantage of the shipyard is that you can build in creative mode. The function I think you are looking for is "Create Design from Catalog " this allows you to load a design from your blueprints.

4 yes and yes I forget where the buttons are exactly tho. I think it's called "save design to catalog" on the bottommost row.

5.this is not a bug and there is no way to change it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    -Moose-,

Thanks for the reply. My responses to your reply:

1. My shipyard is plenty big enough. Shipyard is at least 1001 L x 800 W x 600 H. My ship is about 140L x 80 W x 80 H. Rough estimates, from memory. One thing does come to mind though; I placed one arc of the shipyard on a different day than the rest, so the middle/center arc's modules are oriented differently from the other arcs. (top and bottom are same, ends with X's are reversed, so the side girder faces are reversed as well) It's the same shape and same dimensions so there are no red error messages. I wonder if this is causing issues with some of the shipyard features. Do you know if the shipyard module orientation makes any difference? I think my next step is to replace that center arc so the modules are oriented the same and see if anything changes.
    2. Does it pull for creating a design from a blueprint? I thought it just pulled blocks for constructing a ship from the loaded design. I was just trying to deconstruct without design, so the block pulling should be irrelevant right? It just needs to have enough storage space for the deconstructed blocks. Which I have 5m cargo space linked, so even an 80k ship should fit no problem.
    3. I haven't tried the creative mode yet. I prefer creating all the blocks I need in survival. The function I really would like to use at the moment, is deconstruct without design. But its dark red and I cant select it.
    4. Roger that.
    5. Roger that. I didn't think it was a bug, just hoping there was another option that would save me all that shuttle time between ship core and shipyard computer.

Reaction score
    1. Hmmm. Orientation should not be an issue. Double check to make sure all the Cs are linked to the shipyard computer.

2. Okay I reread your original post. If a ship is docked to a shipyard you can repair the ship with the "repair ship using design" function. (Bottom center I believe) Select the ship design you want to use. This function is only available if a ship is docked to the shipyard.

Now this will only work if we can figure out what is wrong with your shipyard.

Now you can construct a new ship with no ship docked. If you want to construct a new ship from a design you must make sure there is no ship docked at the anchor. Right click on the design select "load" go into the more options grid and select "construct from design" or something like that. Some options are only available with no design loaded or ship docked and visa versa.

Designs are like special shipyard only blueprints. It is not the ship itself. So "create new design" is not building the ship but rather creating these new special blueprint. (Yes this is confusing)

3. Id like to clarify that you design the ships in creative mode, but still use resources to build them.

Also. You might find this video helpful. It goes over some basic shipyard terms and functions.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    -Moose-,

Logged in today and my shipyard is cooperating. I can now deconstruct my ship. These options were previously unavailable, as well as the undock button.
    starmade-screenshot-0001.png
    I think I just needed to unload and reload the sector. The shipyard was acting as if there was no ship docked to the core anchor when in fact there was, and it let me start a new design inside my docked ship. Possibly because I docked my ship to the core anchor before I completed all the arcs of the shipyard.
    starmade-screenshot-0004.png

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    -Moose-,

Thanks again for your responses.

Using my shipyard has created some new issues. I'll just continue here.

The first issue being my game crashes anytime I try to place more than about 100 blocks at a time in the shipyard edit design mode. I think this is related to my nvidia driver, although I don't have the latest nvidia update. I'm on 344.00. I am updating to 376.33 to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    The first issue being my game crashes anytime I try to place more than about 100 blocks at a time in the shipyard edit design mode. I think this is related to my nvidia driver, although I don't have the latest nvidia update. I'm on 344.00. I am updating to 376.33 to see if that helps.
    It's actually probably hardware-related and not driver-related. I have an older nVidia card, and I was using older drivers as well, and I had significant slowdown pasting in my single player universe. When I use a server and do the same thing, there are way fewer issues. Upgrading to 376.33 did not change much.