debris left from a damaged or destroyed ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I got an idea about the debris left behind a ship (there are none YET). But if a ship gets cut in half it would leave the part seperated avay floating in space as useless debri salvageable by salvage cannons this idea can spice up the combat of the game alot and make it more fun.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Its a nice idea for esthetics, but it can makes ship designs even more clumsy than before, since everyone would try to avoid loosing parts of the ship. Also it can bloat the server with entities, though reasonable lower limit for detached debris (a % fraction of ship\'s mass requred for a chunk to be detached as a separate entity), or at least minimum mass can regulate that. If incorpaorated they should not have a targeting reticle in order to keep them from spamming the view.

Reaction score
    Good Idea but what if a ship has a unattached section like a Tempest from Starcraft. A better idea would be to have some blocks explode when destroyed and knock other blocks off and damage sturdier ones. This would have to work with missiles too.

EDIT: The blocks that broke off would despawn after X minutes. Thus giving a chance to be salvaged.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    unlike ship entities(which can move) they would become static like asteroids, so after it stops moving you could mine it out, but this would only happen if the core is destroyed so it wouldn\'t be a problem for the guy who barely won trying to piece back his ship. although it would require some way to reattach it back to the ship.

a other thing would be better, is if as a ship gets blasted apart the game should count the blocks lost, and after it blows up, place down a an entity whit 25% of the blocks total lost,

or instead as it blows up and there is still a decent amount of ship left(in case you took out the core first) it would form a debris-fields(which should also be added to the game in the same way as bases or asteroids) of the same 20 - 30% amount of stuff and/or broken parts which can be salvaged and then be repaired/sold

or if you have a massive battle t would calculate debris afterwards as stuff calms down.

at any case i still want to get static debris left from dead ships and have this be a major part of the game

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    on core overheat:

every plane from the core (x,y;x,z;y,z) is deleted.

the ship ic checked for seperate entities (non-connected pieces) and turns them all into different sections.

the core explodes with a radius and damage dependent on total blocks of ship.

all pieces of ship are pushed outward at high speed (25-50kmh)

after they stop moving for 3 minutes they become static entities (like asteroids).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t think this would work if each piece of debris was an individual entity. Too much processing power for the game to keep track of each one as thought they were a ship.

The static entity would be easier to impliment, but the issue then is that each of these, potentially tiny, pieces of debris would then become immovable objects just like a station or asteroid, so ships of any size would get stopped dead in their tracks when they collide with it. And if each piece of debris wasn\'t kept track of, then there would be no radar blip, so avoiding or finding them to destroy would be very difficult.

Cool idea, but I don\'t see how it would work, unless they were temporary entities that had a countdown to self-destruct like a like a ship core.

Reaction score
    Actually just activated breakoff in the server settings and I\'m wondering why it isn\'t in the game by default? It\'s awesome. Buggy as hell, but awesome. A few fixes here and there and it could be a fine addition, provided that only objects of a certain size could qualify as having broken off. I imagine that having dozens of single blocks floating in space may be bad for performance.

When a block is broken I propose that it spawns a number of client-side gibs that float through space. Less drain on the server and it looks cool.

D

Deleted member 301635

I think the main reason that it\'s not implemented is because the core can become an asteroid, which can do very odd things to the game.

Reaction score
    But in order for the ship to die, the core has to explode! So how can the core become an asteroid?

This idea... I want it. I would love to kill a huge ship, then watch it break apart. Huge battles would leave behind a graveyard for all to see (or salvage). Definitely would strain the current system, but it would be an awesome addition.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can break ships apart, as people above me have said.

Here is what you can do:

It is insanely fun!

Reaction score
    I saw that someone said that you could already do it, but could not find it at all. And he also said that it was \"buggy as hell.\" If you guys would mind directing me on how to find and activate this feature, that would be great. Also, do the pieces that are broken off stay? Or are they temporary?

Reaction score
    In the server.cfg, find the option that says \"ENABLE_BREAK_OFF\" and set it to true. Seeing as I have yet to use this feature, I can\'t respond to the rest of your questions.

Reaction score
    I have tried the breakoff feature, and unless you are running a supercomputer, it lags up the game to an unplayable extent.

Reaction score
    So, I guess this suggestion should be changed from \"can we have debris from ship destruction\" to \"can we please fix it?\" Still, it\'s good to know that it is there, and thanks for the location of the setting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It can get pretty laggy, but it makes for some cook screenies. :)