Planned Debris Fields

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Just a quick suggestion to add to universe generation; Debris Fields. Simply, a sector full of derelict ships, and/or parts of ships, that would behave like asteroids. They would spawn mostly in asteroid belts, and rarely elsewhere. Also, with the new fauna update coming up, this could be a place where some unique aliens could spawn.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Something like a ship graveyard you could harvest scrap from. Currently, derelict stations are the main source for scrap, it'd be nice to have another source for salvaging scrap.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Something like a ship graveyard you could harvest scrap from. Currently, derelict stations are the main source for scrap, it'd be nice to have another source for salvaging scrap.
    Scrap is pretty worthless, though. You get way more mesh/composite from just refining regular ore.

Now, if they gave you scrap, but featured loot chests that you'd have to potentially fight through alien creatures to reach... that I would like.

Reactions: AssIn9
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Scrap is pretty worthless, though. You get way more mesh/composite from just refining regular ore.

Now, if they gave you scrap, but featured loot chests that you'd have to potentially fight through alien creatures to reach... that I would like.
    You could even find and repair a ship in the graveyard the same as a derelict station, could be some good ship hidden somewhere in there somewhere.

Reactions: Ixalite and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Didn't we use to have a server.cfg option to make it so ships didn't disappear after the overheat timer expired?

Can we get that again? Maybe just make it change to a new type of state, so it can't be rebooted, but the parts don't simply turn into scrap mesh....so destroyed ships are still worthwhile to salvage.

Reactions: Parameter

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    had an idea recently to create a make shift debris field using an abandoned station and docked entities. basically attach wrecked ships to the station and rig up a push beam on each of the dock. then connect each push beam up to a timer and save the station after activating the timer. If all goes right then the abandoned station should spawn and automatically disperse the wrecked ships however i've never had a chance to test this. would be awesome if the docked ships were also decayed along with the station.

Reactions: Lecic and Zaphord
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    had an idea recently to create a make shift debris field using an abandoned station and docked entities. basically attach wrecked ships to the station and rig up a push beam on each of the dock. then connect each push beam up to a timer and save the station after activating the timer. If all goes right then the abandoned station should spawn and automatically disperse the wrecked ships however i've never had a chance to test this. would be awesome if the docked ships were also decayed along with the station.
    docked entities should also be decayed. The one derelict had a big turret that used to be a source of free material and that was patched.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I remember when I started with starmade, the first "asteroid" I came across was made out of Factory parts. I had no idea what I had found until after we had shot it to hell and salvaged what was left. It was essentially game breaking to have that many credits so soon after spawning. But then again we had the lvl 5 ore recipes that were made from lvl 1 ore.

I am looking forward to more diversity in what you find in each sector, and I'm looking forward to how shine balances it for the economy!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Instead of loot chests in debris fields, why not have something like 1%-4% of components be salvageable? If player skills or NPCs that buff ship performance are ever added, perhaps this rate of recovery could be tweaked.

Don't get me wrong, scrap should be the majority of what is recovered when salvaging from prespawned derelicts.

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    Instead of loot chests in debris fields, why not have something like 1%-4% of components be salvageable? If player skills or NPCs that buff ship performance are ever added, perhaps this rate of recovery could be tweaked.

Don't get me wrong, scrap should be the majority of what is recovered when salvaging from prespawned derelicts.
    I agree with this statement for derelicts but not for captured pirate stations.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Debris and derelict fields are a great idea. It's been mentioned before.

I'd like to expand on the idea that a derelict ship is scrap, but if you see blocks you want to retrieve, you have the option of "buying" the derelict for big money, just like a station, to remove the scrap flag. So you are effectively buying those blocks on that derelict.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd be happy with derilicts being entirely scrap with no loot as long as they were really cool. Pull a blueprint/design off the scrap version and then build your own.

Reaction score
    I'd be happy with derilicts being entirely scrap with no loot as long as they were really cool. Pull a blueprint/design off the scrap version and then build your own.
    that sounds really good actually, and to make it FAR more potent, I suggest that starmade SERVERS upload ships after 1 week that are NOT set to PRIVATE, ADMIN, or faction...
    at the same time, it downloads the latest catalogue... hence, we get a MASSIVE burst of new "direlicts"...
    a config option turns this feature ON, a second config option sets MIN mass, and a third MAX mass...
    a fourth sets the amount of data these direlicts can take up (e.g DOWNLOAD LIMIT)

this way, you go forth, "claim" the ship, which "marks" the vessel for towing, a AI comes forth with a tractor, drags the ship husk to a shipyard, and saves the blueprint in it's current state...
    "claiming" the same ship again causes the blueprint's to merge, filling in gaps...
    this is ENTIRELY random however, you may come across two ships and have perfection, or you may need twelve...
    luck of the draw.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I just realized an interesting addition to this after watching some of JaceMachine's videos. Debris fields spawning in wormhole systems. Just watch some of Jace's videos to see what that would be like.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i got one thing to add, if u accidentally break the chest the loot shouldnt dissapear it should start to move around and eventually disperse, much like this field u are talking about,

Reaction score
    If there are in fact abandoned ships in debris fields, I think a way to add danger to exploration would be to have small defense systems or parts of the ship themselves remain active and openly hostile to any player going through the area

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    also as an admin they should be spawneable around spawn
    and there is a full bp of a big ship in the middle of it

Reaction score
    If there was some sort of (different) scanner computer or handheld device, allowing you to do something like what jrs008 said but instead of having an A.I tow it away you would run your scanner beam across it. Also, what Sha3s said about having different parts of the ship active would be amazing, and to add to it, if your server enables it and has radar-jamming ships available for pirates, then they could spawn in there, waiting for an unsuspecting player to come along.