Debris Cracks Glass (plextanium)

If this could be implemented quickly and easily would you like it?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Simple idea that may or may not be hard to implement.

If traveling at a very high speed and you hit some debris the glass cracks and if hit at a extreme speed it will shatter and turn into debris so there's more debris.

This could also be added for other blocks

That's it I just thought I'd put it out there might take to long to implement if that's the case forget about it schema (if you're reading this) there's much more important things that need to be done.....especially optimization keep up the good work ;)

Edit: I'd also like to add that it would have to be a very very high speed for debris to crack glass some of you are thinking this would make glass weak when I am saying speeds around 300+ would crack glass it could make debris a obstacle which it really should be in my eyes..
    -Kondroid

Last edited:
    Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't feel this is good for vanilla. If you have a hardcore survival server this could be modded in though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Considering plextanium is supposedly as strong as normal hull (and has the same hp/armour as it too) it really doesn't make sense that it'd break and not hull. Ignoring that this seems like more of a pain than really is necessary, im under the impression that the debris is a graphical effect and doesn't produce objects. I haven't checked the dev builds so its really dependant on that.

Off topic: Kondroid you don't optimize something after you make it, (that's practically overhauling the system.) no need to poke schema about it like everyone else does. Schema must have the patience of a saint with how much people go on about it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Considering plextanium is supposedly as strong as normal hull (and has the same hp/armour as it too) it really doesn't make sense that it'd break and not hull. Ignoring that this seems like more of a pain than really is necessary, im under the impression that the debris is a graphical effect and doesn't produce objects. I haven't checked the dev builds so its really dependant on that.

Off topic: Kondroid you don't optimize something after you make it, (that's practically overhauling the system.) no need to poke schema about it like everyone else does. Schema must have the patience of a saint with how much people go on about it.
    emm I have a pretty good understanding of how everything works (seeing as I do a bit of programming myself), but schema said he was optimizing and he's been optimizing recently and he has been optimizing in the past so yea, also I didn't poke him . And how can you optimize something before you make it? there has to be something to optimize, so yea no need to get up on your high horse.
    Also debris does make an object as it can bounce of ships flying into it.

Reaction score
    Those debris in the recent dev versions are client side only, making them functional in any way is therefore not (reliably) possible.
    However, at some point the break off and collision damage options will be on by default. The effect of those will be large debris breaking off on hit and damaging other objects on impact.

Kondroid you don't optimize something after you make it
    Yes, you do. Make it work first, make it better later. That's how it works, not only in game development.

Reaction score
    I might be alright, but I'd prefer if general damage cracked glass, instead of turning it orange...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Don't think of plex glass as glass.

think of it as hull which uses nano-lenses to direct light through tiny tunnels to the other side of it, let light mostly ignore most of it's volume (which can be used for stronger materials)

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score

think of it as hull which uses nano-lenses to direct light through tiny tunnels to the other side of it, let light mostly ignore most of it's volume (which can be used for stronger materials)
    That is a slight bit...contrived. But good imagination, anyway.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We are already able to create concrete through which you can see shadows of a person.
    Scientists guess that some meta-materials are able to bend light around them.

I don't think it is impossible, just expensive to mass-fabricate.

Some scientists today try to build nano machines which can mass-fabricate everything at atomic or near-atomic scale with almost no errors dependent on their program.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Some scientists today try to build nano machines which can mass-fabricate everything at atomic or near-atomic scale with almost no errors dependent on their program.
    until the grey goo is triggered.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I'm just going to point out that you are asking for collision damage...the game HAS collision damage. Turn t on in your single player in the config files to check it out. Most servers don't have it though, because they are afraid of bad driving.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm just going to point out that you are asking for collision damage...the game HAS collision damage. Turn t on in your single player in the config files to check it out. Most servers don't have it though, because they are afraid of bad driving.
    No we are talking about a special type of collision damage specific to glass.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5

For Gameplay to me it would be better if it cracked it would be very cinematic.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I don't want glass to be weak, however it would be good if debris hit glass then it left some cracks on it as an overlay

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    something to do for repair beams :)
    let's design a dock which automatically repairs windshields :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    and when there programs get corrupted and they replicate and take over the galaxy? then what are we suposed to do