Days of old..

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    How many of the older people are still left?
    From before the website change..most of them left when it happened.
    Does anyone even remember the state of affairs?

Reactions: Zyrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Same as Krazykat! Speaking of which I really hope they do some more videos of Starmade because it's changed so much since the last ones.

Also, most of the big faction leaders have been around awhile, along with some of the really good builders.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Bench is still around, and I was one of the ones anxiously awaiting and encouraging his Firefly build back then, other than that I don't remember anyone else from back then (mainly because I was on the forums less and in-game more then)

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I was at the trailing end of the yogswarm, but I never watched their videos until someone mentioned it. Zimmerman brings up a good point, it seems only the people heavily involved in factions are sticking around very long.

But, I did notice two key things.

One, is the effect wars have on the community. For example, the first war I had ever been in, and indeed one of the most heated ever to happen to date, was between almost everyone. I can think of maybe one or two forumside faction that did not take part in any way. Now, this war was...ill-tempered on both sides. Lots of hate being flung around, bases getting greifed, midnight raids, etc. Almost immediately after the end of that war, faction recruitment dropped considerably for near everyone. Didn't matter who won, but people just stopped showing up. On the other hand, take the Athanatos-Odium war. Considerably lighter mood, raids were conducted with enemy members online all but twice I believe, both sides were pushing the escalation. This, instead of being the result of an overreaction to a petty argument, was more or less caused because we were all bored. Recruitment spiked, lots of old members seemed to pick up the game again, and we were up and kicking for a while. Now, people are dropping off again because the community is too small, they're running out of things to do, and there just aren't any newbloods coming in anymore. I, personally, am of the opinion that while a yogswarm-sized event is too large, a smaller event is neccesary. While chat numbers during the yogswarm were up in four digits, I think a good amount would be chat numbers up around 700-800.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Slightly pre-Yogstorm member 'ere. I remember when we reminisced about the old missile system, and now we do so for the old site. Times have changed, as it seems.

...times have changed...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    when did the yogstorm happen I think I came after it
    the Yogscast did a short series on Starmade a while ago, the storm happened for the next month or so of extreme activity but the game was not really ready for that and lots of problems came up

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm still up and about, came by the suggestion of a friend round about two months before the Thunderdome. Also I'm not heavily involved in factions at all, in fact I'm not part of one anymore, yet I stick around (edit: Now no longer true :) ). This game has too great potential and possibilities to not do so. I was quite a ghost on the old forums though :/ , I didn't yet appreciate the community.

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'm still here. and unlike the minecraft community i intend to stay. this is what minecraft should have been to me.

the game is only getting better and i don't see me leaving anytime soon for another game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen
    How many of the older people are still left?
    From before the website change..most of them left when it happened.
    Does anyone even remember the state of affairs?
    Still here but I re-enterd like from June...SO Welcome back Everyone!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I get the feeling majority left while waiting on that update of Daves, shades and more promises of a current weapon system "coming soon" that took months to implement... After the website changed, it seems that faction politics have gone almost silent what with there being too few recruits. Never got involved personally, but it's kinda sad not seeing random pirates declaring one man wars on great factions and managing to stir up quite a commotion on the forums.
    Yeah, Starmade needs some fresh blood. Game only got better in the meantime, even a small event could set things in motion. Also the steam release in the future. Not soon though. I get the bad feeling community might change drastically that day, and i'm not sure i'd like that.

Pholopalus

あなたは笑う、あなたは失う
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Joined in april last year - a while before the Yogstorm. Still around, but not active in game.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Hold your ground! Hold your ground!
    Sons of StarMade, my brothers!
    I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
    A day may come when the community of starmade fails,
    when we forsake this beautiful game,
    and break all bonds of building in peace
    but it is not this day.

An hour of noobs and shattered factions..
    when the age of starmade comes crashing down,
    but it is not this day!
    This day we build!!
    By all that you hold dear on this great game,
    I bid you stand, players of Starmade!!!!!!!

(joined a year ago,looking forward to many more years to come :) )

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I joined around September last year when someone asked me for a great space game and StarMade randomly popped up in Google.

Never been too involved in factions, wars, the chat or any of the major servers, so I was below radar most of the time. When the great hype of the new weapon implementations arose, I put all my builds on halt for a few weeks until I got bored with, well, doing nothing. So I left and kinda dragged an entire server with me, but oh well.
    That just so happened to coincide with the website overhaul. Registered a few days after that.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've been here since September of 2012. I don't think there's actually anyone left around from when I started (except schema of course :P)...

It has been nice to see the community and game grow from a tiny section of the internet to what it is now, though. :)

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hold your ground! Hold your ground!
    Sons of StarMade, my brothers!
    I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
    A day may come when the community of starmade fails,
    when we forsake this beautiful game,
    and break all bonds of building in peace
    but it is not this day.

An hour of noobs and shattered factions..
    when the age of starmade comes crashing down,
    but it is not this day!
    This day we build!!
    By all that you hold dear on this great game,
    I bid you stand, players of Starmade!!!!!!!

(joined a year ago,looking forward to many more years to come :) )
    Luke has a point, it doesn't matter if you can before or after the swarm, but we can't lose faith just cuz the numbers dropped. New or old Starmade needs all of us to survive.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Well, I started playing starmade about 2 years ago. But I went to the forums for the first time about 3/4th of a year ago, which is why almost nobody knows for how long I've been playing.
    I've been here since September of 2012. I don't think there's actually anyone left around from when I started (except schema of course :p)...
    Well, technically I am left, although only gameside.:p

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The old forums and website were rubbish (no offence to my pals BJ and schema).

I'm still here from before the website, and many others. You can track the new websites progress from the day I joined pretty much, so I am the change that you see before you now.

Reactions: Krazykat

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I found the game along time ago, a good few months before the yogstorm, but didnt really like what the game was at that time, the yogscast did their video, i saw a better game and came back, actually making a forums account that time, and have been stuck here since, slowly being sapped of time, money and social life xD