Dannage simltaneously astounds and dissapoints with Logic

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Okay, so this thread is going to be a bit of a mish mash.

In some places, I will attempt to show me using logic for some basic things, this will hopefully be with the intent of making people who know NOTHING, able to build some simple stuff.

At the same time, I will amaze experts with how utterly useless I am with logic at even the most basic level. But you will teach me interweb, you will teach me.

Before we begin, allow me to give you a problem I have faced with several tutorials on logic. These largely show pre-constructed logic set ups on existing very nice models, and sometimes, these get just a little bit confusing.... because the basics don't seem to hold up.. I would go as far as to say, that some of your set ups, look to my untrained eye, like this:

Let me tell you... that's not good.

So, allow me to propose a simple thing here. I plan on doing diagrams to help people in TWO DIMENSIONS! Hopefully to help show what connects to what etc.

I will start, with a problem I currently have:

SCAFFOLD

Objective: A 'frame' structure, which can be rotated either 'open' or 'closed' by 45 degrees. Realised I have not saved the 'single activation module' that makes the turn 45, but who cares. My problem is that if I hit EITHER button at the beginning, the docked entity rotates 45 degrees in ONE direction, not according to the direction the button is also linked to. Please help!

Also, other noobs please confirm you find this sort of diagram easier if it is... (I may make these prettier in future)

Reactions: Bonusinches
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Here's how changing directions work:

Buttons/Activators not adjacent to the rail you want to change, C on buttons/activators, V on the target rail.

At this point, they'll send an "Undock" command if tested. Fixing this is easy: place the rail blocks you want the target rail to change to next to the buttons, so each button is only directly adjacent to its corresponding change. No need to link; just their presence will change the command from "Undock" to "Change into this block next to me."

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That seems to work for rails themselves. I use it on both my Elevator and my hangar bay doors. Just doesn't work the same on one of these rotator rail blocks.. It isn't undocking but either button is turning the entity, in one direction.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    That seems to work for rails themselves. I use it on both my Elevator and my hangar bay doors. Just doesn't work the same on one of these rotator rail blocks.. It isn't undocking but either button is turning the entity, in one direction.
    According to your diagram there bud, you have connected the rotators R1 and R2 directly to R3, instead (iirc, been on a bit of a SM break), connect A1 and A2 to R3, with A1 being placed adjacent to R1 and A2 being adjacent to R2. The delay and OR gate are redundant. The OR gate is doubly redundant here, as the idea of and OR gate is that any high input of potentially multiple inputs will cause a high output.

If that doesnt makes sense I'll upload a breadboard tutorial for you when I get home

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Cheers. Makes sense in as much as the And gate was knowingly redundant, due to it just being in one of the Bench tutorials. The delay was just inserted in so that when I activated my buttons, I had time to move to a place where I could see the docking arms move.

Slightly redundant altogether at the moment, since the server isn't up to date so I can't log in. Also, because the shipyard modules have to form a constant C shape, I no longer wish to have a mobile frame anyway... :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Cheers. Makes sense in as much as the And gate was knowingly redundant, due to it just being in one of the Bench tutorials. The delay was just inserted in so that when I activated my buttons, I had time to move to a place where I could see the docking arms move.

Slightly redundant altogether at the moment, since the server isn't up to date so I can't log in. Also, because the shipyard modules have to form a constant C shape, I no longer wish to have a mobile frame anyway... :)
    haha no worries, the delay block being there would have not worked how you had it set up anyway unfortunately (iirc). If you wanted a delay, you would be better off putting the delay before the button and triggering the delay, if that makes sense :). Anyway, if you require more logiks help feel free to give me a poke. I like logiks... :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Okay, but I'll say again, absolutely everything worked how I wanted it to. I hitthe first button, it waited 2 seconds and then rotated the arm 45 degrees. The only thing I could not do was rotate the other way... Might be due to having connected the turntable to the otherturntable, like rails connect to rails when you change their direction... It's what Bench had in his video...

But they haven't updated my server yet so I'm stuck playing other games anyway, :)