Dannage Fleetyards: Poor Advice For Noobs

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Megacrafter, I managed to get in...Rails were a bit confusing, but I think I've got a general basics worked out...

Meantime, I've slipped back to sandbox, and continued work on my little cruiser.

Thanks Insane, I'm largely just tinkering for now, hoping to get a catalogue of ships up that people think aren't so hideous that I won't get invited to join any servers. Think of it as an online resume. ;)

But it's all good advice, which is why 'm not giving it, because I'm giving poor advice, remember? :)

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I tell ya, nothing makes you more nervous than flying a corridor to a nearby shop, past a pirate base, especially when you only have two shield rechargers.... Good thing it had a lot of thrust!

So, this is a Not-So-Doom-Brick...innovative!

Reactions: Dannage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's amazing how many of my ships start as a corridor! :)

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It's amazing how many of my ships start as a corridor! :)
    I've found my ships keep starting as a box.

I start by making two 'axis' reactors around the ship core, usually (so far, the Ragnarok is the exception, with the reactors in the legs and wings of the "dragon") and then filling out from there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello kids. Been away on business so no posting here. Do have a much more full ship to show you, though I had a test run at a pirate station and by the time I got to 18 pirate ships around me, I kinda lost chunks of it. Really should have saved that before travelling!

See the rails update has come out. Excellent... Expect experiments... Have to admit, spent an hour playing around, managed to get a box to basically rotate...

Peekie, reads like there's a lot of people on that server and it does have almost all the things I want, but I would also like some PVE group activities. Does any of that go on, or is it just everyone parking their ships in random places?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431378160,1431374584][/DOUBLEPOST]Just so you get the picture (ha!) here is the cruiser, a little battered mainly in the turrets... Oh how the idea of shield chaining will make mu turrets nicer...

As for the pirate station... Well, I needed to respawn all turrets, and it still took them out a second time, but I won in the end... even if I didn't have loads of pirate ships in support!

Question is whether to ditch this whole world, and start something new with rails!

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    NFD is mostly a building server, so little pve. you could try on the NFD survival server, ElwynEternity, i dont know if its whitelisted however.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, at the moment I'm being distracted by work and mainly trying to finish this one damned game of Civ V.

Still, building near other people is one better than building on your own, so I may well ask to join. Will travel to far corners of the galaxy to save people the server space... :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Okay, still haven't finished that Civ game (hey, I'm busy, okay?) - but I ended up working late, so rather than go paint my bedroom, here we are, Friday evening and thinking, time we tried the joined up turrets, see how quick can build a test turret system!... don't expect pretty... (All my old turrets were all ugly, because they were all tiny!)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Quick update... The wallpapering is done and I gave the wall a lick of paint today... Wait.. wrong subject... Band practice is going really well.. No wait.. Work is.. What was I doing?

Oh yeah...

Removed the turret docks and replaced them with new turret docks. Not having a sexy time designing small turrets on the new system yet, but will persevere!... Though I have just been accepted onto an RP server, so you may well find a different range of ships on here now.. :)

Also, just noticed, I posted two pics of the front of the Frigate, when I meant to do a rear shot...

So:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Me? Flit between different projects? Never...

Joined an RP server, which I hope to survive at least a week on. YAY. And started building my first ship. They did say no brick ships... uhm..

I just need a bit more time... and hull...

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Me? Flit between different projects? Never...

Joined an RP server, which I hope to survive at least a week on. YAY. And started building my first ship. They did say no brick ships... uhm..

I just need a bit more time... and hull...
    A flying staircase :eek:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It could have been more fun... it might have been a flying helter-skelter.... but... no, it's a staircase..

On the plus side, at least you could tell what it was. That has to count for something, surely. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Feeling bad about having the floating staircase, I decided to mask it a little with some nose hull, to keep it from blowing up people's eyes.

This was short lived whilst I explored the sector a little (and avoided pirates like the plague!) and then got to a shop not by the spawn point ad decided to buy some material.

Now I bet you've never seen ship building like this... No, I don't mean "that bad" I mean, build by cross section.... Meanie..

This is not a mushroom.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So, the good news is I have managed to get an entire cross section, at least of inner skin...

The less god news is that a crash seems to have made the ship disappear. Not blown up by nasties (I have 15km scan range!) just... gone..

whuups...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Found it, with the help of Mr Zero. For some reason, the ship went back to the spawn point, by itself... crazy! :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Mooched around for another few hours today, still not met anyone online on the server, very quiet, but I kinda like that while I'm still constructing the ship, as I'm going around nabbing all the stock. :)

Will soon start heading away from known space so I can claim a sector, then build a home base and start manufacturing. In the meantime, I have sleeping arrangements for 6.

And then two more lounge type locations. Internal decore and function, yet to be decided.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Have been making some progress on my Server ship, Cassandra. She's named after a ship I wrote a story for, which I was hoping to get a bunch of people to animate in 3DS Max, but everyone who joined wanted to build spaceships, and nobody would build or animate people... so that kinda died.. :)

She's actually massive compared to my original Cassie, but hey ho.. :)

And the ship at least has a roof now

And I found a little corner and built a tiny station, so I could start manufacturing goods, not stealing all the shop stock!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ahh, Nice to see some early shots of her again. I have been splitting my time between clearing pirates, building a couple f space stations and a bit of mining and building. Sadly, today, Cassandra got her butt totally kicked.

New explosions feature.
    AI no longer targets core, but systems... which I had spread throughout the ship, because AI always used to target your core...
    No Blueprints on my server.
    Missiles (of which I had many many many!) now take 3-4 times more power...

Combined:

This largely means that this afternoon, Cassie was mortally wounded and now has a series of holes where systems should be. I managed to take a quick shot or two before she got too much damage...

There used to be a landing craft on the back.. looked like a Cobra Mk III.. :)

Also used to have big beam turrets...

ho hum.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    It is interesting that almost all of your ship designs have forward external thruster pods.

It must be the Dannage signature mark.

Reactions: Dannage