Damage to Armour strips its paint

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    A funny little idea which, more than likely, isnt possible. And is not effective in the current game as armour is £&*% (Pierce effect missiles make ADV go from 2000 ehp/block to 380ehp)... But making armour actually worth while is a different thread.

My idea is that when theres not enough damage to destroy a block of armour, the armour loses its paint and turns to its grey type

1) Texture pack - This would require there to then be 2 "damage" textures. One that gradually makes a block more and more grey for armour, and the other the opacity/transparent one for computers, decoratives, etc. Non permanent. Ones can be made in current system just by adding slight grey to the existing damage texture

2) Coded paint removal/replacement - Probably the most lag inducing as the game has to calculate more, but it swaps out a block of IE Red Advanced Armour with a block of Grey when its been damaged. This persists through light repairs (Astrotech when thats finally useful), but not through a breakdown/rebuild

Just when Armour is finally much more integral to keeping a ship alive than just pure shields, would be great to see a ship "naturally" age and appear more beaten up as battle scarred if its shields drop, and the discoloured remains of destroyed ships from combat.

Jebediah1

FlyingZeene_TNT, Emperor of NRE. (Scipio)
    Reaction score
    dats a cool idea actually

Reaction score
    Oh, I really like this idea.

It can actually help those who are just starting the game and don't have a shipyard yet to repair blocks that are damaged from those pesky pirates. It can be a complete pain in the ass to find blocks that have been damaged in a firefight, esp. when slightly damaged blocks show extremely little difference from an undamaged one.

Approve it!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh, I really like this idea.

It can actually help those who are just starting the game and don't have a shipyard yet to repair blocks that are damaged from those pesky pirates. It can be a complete pain in the ass to find blocks that have been damaged in a firefight, esp. when slightly damaged blocks show extremely little difference from an undamaged one.

Approve it!
    Well said, I just scrap the ship then re-spawn it after every combat XD