Damage Pulse 2.0

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    "It may not surprise you, but we’re removing damage pulse from the game."

Really? There's no way it can be re-imagined? :(

Here are some quick ideas for consideration:
    1.) What if the weapon could have a few block arrangements which would allow it to be a "pulse projector" wherein a pulse (in a 2D representation of it's block pattern) could be fired out perpendicular to the weapon group? Could have discs, donuts, scythes, squares, triangles, etc... Or if you wanted an AoE type weapon than the group would need to be a sphere or cube... the range needs to be much greater than it currently is but with diminishing damage w/ distance and a slow recharge time (several minutes).... note that these weapons do not distinguish friend from foe either.

2.) Not just damage! Slave effects could be used to create slow moving EMP discs, or maybe a web like projection that stops ships caught in it (combined with mine-layer?) A pulse projection capable of repairing ship damage would be handy, like a cloud of nanites or something.

3.) Shields are spherical now so what if a damage pulse were a shield chamber instead of a weapon? A ships captain could deplete the remainder of his shields by turning it into outwardly expanding "damage pulse" based on a shield groups diameter and HP at time of activation. Speaking of chambers.... This AoE damage could make for a neat critical or damaged reactor effect.

4.) Point defense! Could make for a great point defense option for large ships if they were surrounded by weak ships / missiles, though you'd have to make sure no friends were nearby. Or if the spherical damage is considered too cheesy than maybe something like a combination pulse/missile block could be a bunch of randomized 'tendrils' projected out of the pulse group in all directions that shift around until the charge is depleted.... wouldn't be useful for downing missiles but you might snag a few fighters?

Just throwing out some ideas here, besides termination. :P

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I saw that too. I'm fine with it as long as it's a sign that he's cleaning up weapons overall! No need to be sentimental hoarders; pulse was redundant. I had always hoped it would be turned into a point of impact AoE, but all these other cool, potential ideas can still be implemented. It doesn't really matter if it's done using the pulse block or by some other means.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I actually really like this suggestion. I would prefer it if these nu-pulses phased through ships/blocks and had damage drop off based on how many blocks/meters through the ship the pulse phased through. That would allow it to potentially phase through entire fleets and affect each ship, like the Malevolence from The Clone Wars that's in the OP.

I would also set it so that Ion, EMP and Stop effects on said weapon disable those specific subsystems entirely for 10-30 seconds (maybe) if they meet or exceed a certain block count/percent vs. the enemy ships' subsystems. Otherwise the pulse could affect the subsystem as normal.

Reactions: Skwidz