Damage calculation

Reaction score
    Can somebody tell me the current formular to calculate damage while factoring in armour mitigation and armour HP ?

Everytime I test different damage values I am somewhat surprised when I see the damage numbers popping up.

For example, right now I am using a 2000 dmg cannon, no slaves. Shooting a block of adv armour deals 232 dmg leaving the block alive. Shooting it a second time deals 31 dmg, destroying the block, assumingly having dealt a total of 263 damage to destroy it. The structure I am shooting at does take no bonus damage due to size.

How ? If I assume that 50% is taken by the ship armour HP and 50% is taken by the block itself, then being reduced by 80% armour ( some source even claim 75% ) it would be:

Final damage: ( 2000 [dmg] x 0.5 [ armour HP mitigation] ) x 0.2 [block armour mitigation] = 200 dmg applied to block

Can anyone illuminate me please ?'

Edit:

Now I am testing 240 vs 236 cannon barrels against adv armour and the the 236 actually let a higher damage number of 258 popp up than the 240 cannon barrels, which only deal 250 dmg. Total damage AND damage per penetration is higher on 240 gun though, the amount of blocks penetrated is exactly the same on both weapons.

Is the damage display feature bugged or the damage calculation all together ?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Cannons and beams are heavily bugged, so don't expect any number that make sense.

How ? If I assume that 50% is taken by the ship armour HP and 50% is taken by the block itself, then being reduced by 80% armour ( some source even claim 75% ) it would be:
    Advanced armor has 75% damage reduction, 0.8 is the rounded value displayed in-game. Similarly, faction blocks have 99%, which is displayed as 1 in-game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm sure it's a bug, but I would consider a bit of fuzziness in the exact damage to be a feature.
    "Life's like a block of armor. You never know what you're gonna get."

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I beg to differ, seeing how cats are such good bug catchers! Otherwise you kiss your AIs goodbye!

Back on topic, here's an explanation of armor on the wiki: Defense Systems - StarMade Wiki
    It has a nice picture detailing piercing, which may, or may not be currently accurate, but it's technical enough to make say, "Heck with it!" and just add 5% on top of what I think I need.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Back on topic, here's an explanation of armor on the wiki: Defense Systems - StarMade Wiki
    It has a nice picture detailing piercing, which may, or may not be currently accurate, but it's technical enough to make say, "Heck with it!" and just add 5% on top of what I think I need.
    I just had a quick look, but it seems outdated. Beams now have a built in piercing effect, which is negated by armor, though, so all damage goes to the first block until it's destroyed.