Custom Species Epiphany

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So basically I was thinking about how in the future we might be able to create our own species/race to play as or encounter as a mob in StarMade and it made me think about how we could be made using voxels like ships are made.

But then I figured "what if our species/pets/mobs were made in an editor that lets us use whole parts (rectangles, cones, general geometric shapes) to compose the species' body?"

Coupled with a decent animating system for moving the parts of the creature, we could have decent looking (or at least dave-looking), user-generated models.

All of this of course further down the line when the core aspects of StarMade are stable.

Reaction score
    For animations I'd say 5-10 basic shape templates that you can attach those parts to, would be the way to go. Then it would be easy to make a model with animations. For example the 4 legged things in game atm could have a walking animation, then you could use the editior to stick different shapes onto each section of the legs, and your new model would be able to crawl around.

Reaction score
    And each part should give random effects to the user... maybe buying (and selling) [1/20 of your humanity percentage] cheaper (50% humanity = 2.5% cheaper), [1/2 of your [insert race here] percentage] speed boost for your character in gravity-enviroment (50% = 25% faster) , [1/1 of your [insert race here] percentage] jump boost (50% = 50% more blocks jumped), , [1/2 of your [insert race here] percentage] speed boost for your character in no_gravity-enviroment and things like that...

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    And each part should give random effects to the user... maybe buying (and selling) [1/20 of your humanity percentage] cheaper (50% humanity = 2.5% cheaper), [1/2 of your [insert race here] percentage] speed boost for your character in gravity-enviroment (50% = 25% faster) , [1/1 of your [insert race here] percentage] jump boost (50% = 50% more blocks jumped), , [1/2 of your [insert race here] percentage] speed boost for your character in no_gravity-enviroment and things like that...
    Well the point is to not set a hard-wired standard like "humanity."

I think the traits of the species should be a separate matter and be given using ability points to define the species natural traits.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    This is already planned.
    Good to know, but you seem to be saying that in a negative sense.

Just because it's already planned doesn't mean it's a bad thing that I'm bringing it up, especially when I didn't even know about it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not negative, just short and informative. Players will be able to animate and create creature parts, and then creatures will, through the use of attachment points (limbs), have random parts. Genetic modification and breading is practically confirmed already.

I hope that this is good news for you (squids shooting lasers anyone?).

Reaction score
    Either planned or done, things can be changed, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. But that's not the point of this thread.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Not negative, just short and informative. Players will be able to animate and create creature parts, and then creatures will, through the use of attachment points (limbs), have random parts. Genetic modification and breading is practically confirmed already.
    This is great and all, but will players have the same attributes? One of the greatest concepts of space exploration is going out and finding something new; new, sentient and/or sapient life.

It's part of what makes imagining space exploration so fun.

So why can't I be a human with elf ears that finds another player that is, say, a squid shooting lasers?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't know if we'll be able to change ourselves. It might be interesting if done well, but it might not be a bit overpowered. I think that custom gear is a lot better to be honest.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I don't know if we'll be able to change ourselves. It might be interesting if done well, but it might not be a bit overpowered. I think that custom gear is a lot better to be honest.
    Why not have both?

And assuming you meant that it would be overpowered, that's why a system like that would have to have proper limits (can't be too big or too small, and if it is, it takes up ability points that can no longer be used on other species traits, etc.)

Reaction score
    So basically I was thinking about how in the future we might be able to create our own species/race to play as or encounter as a mob in StarMade and it made me think about how we could be made using voxels like ships are made.

But then I figured "what if our species/pets/mobs were made in an editor that lets us use whole parts (rectangles, cones, general geometric shapes) to compose the species' body?"

Coupled with a decent animating system for moving the parts of the creature, we could have decent looking (or at least dave-looking), user-generated models.

All of this of course further down the line when the core aspects of StarMade are stable.
    you played spore recently didn't you?

i had a similar thought a few weeks ago, except i was thinking of a contest using something like spore, then i just went screw it, and left it alone.

how the hell did i not think of a simplified editor for the game?
    congrats. highly recommend, we should also borrow another part of that idea from spore... the creature upload database, allow each player say, 2-10 UNIQUE creations, allow people to vote them appropiate, and good, and a moderator could approve them for a large catalog listing for any server...

unique creatures... the downside, is matuarity... spore demonstrated the average matuarity of that sort of power... resulting in it's unofficial nickname/s "D### simulator" (or P#### if you prefer) (yes, i'm being child friendly)
    which was really not helped by the physics simulation...
    anyway, my point is, it's a brilliant idea, but is anyone actually up to protecting the kids from the P#### monsters of planet 69.
    (i had to pick that name)

you get the point, we are on the most immature place in existance, and we are suggesting the tools to make every child-mind make as many p#### monsters as their little minds can create... and the means to rapidly distribute them (well i am).

i'm saying we need serious counter-measures...

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    you played spore recently didn't you?

i had a similar thought a few weeks ago, except i was thinking of a contest using something like spore, then i just went screw it, and left it alone.

how the hell did i not think of a simplified editor for the game?
    congrats. highly recommend, we should also borrow another part of that idea from spore... the creature upload database, allow each player say, 2-10 UNIQUE creations, allow people to vote them appropiate, and good, and a moderator could approve them for a large catalog listing for any server...

unique creatures... the downside, is matuarity... spore demonstrated the average matuarity of that sort of power... resulting in it's unofficial nickname/s "D### simulator" (or P#### if you prefer) (yes, i'm being child friendly)
    which was really not helped by the physics simulation...
    anyway, my point is, it's a brilliant idea, but is anyone actually up to protecting the kids from the P#### monsters of planet 69.
    (i had to pick that name)

you get the point, we are on the most immature place in existance, and we are suggesting the tools to make every child-mind make as many p#### monsters as their little minds can create... and the means to rapidly distribute them (well i am).

i'm saying we need serious counter-measures...
    Don't be silly! Who are we to question evolution's decisions in the vast universe :rolleyes:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Creatures generated from a random part catalog is already planned. In fact, it's already partly implemented (just isn't activated).

I like the idea of having our own ingame editor though. Perhaps a player could capture species and be able to "splice" their DNA (parts) into other other creatures or just create one from scratch with the accumulated DNA databank, and maybe even save the DNA sequences like blueprints. Perhaps by using a lab block or something similar ^_^

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Creatures generated from a random part catalog is already planned. In fact, it's already partly implemented (just isn't activated).

I like the idea of having our own ingame editor though. Perhaps a player could capture species and be able to "splice" their DNA (parts) into other other creatures or just create one from scratch with the accumulated DNA databank, and maybe even save the DNA sequences like blueprints. Perhaps by using a lab block or something similar ^_^
    I played another game that was much like what you just brought up.

A game where you could be a tentacle wizard and implant your offspring into bystanders with psychic powers.

Rest In Pepperoni, Shores of Hazeron.