Read by Council Custom Hotkeys

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, since there are so many different functions and menus and options in game, I don't really think there is a practical way to give buttons for everything. So, I say give more options to what people can choose. Allow a hotkey to run a command. Also, allow key combos, like using ALT, SHIFT, CTRL, and TAB with the button. There could also be some advanced functionality included, such as using constants and variables.

Some basic examples that a player may set up. Some of these could also be the default settings:
    ALT + F: Opens the faction block for the entity the person is in.
    ALT + T: Opens the thruster settings for the entity a person is in.
    CTRL + SHIFT + D: Runs the command /destroy_entity_dock
    CTRL + C: Starts the copy function.
    CTRL + V: Starts the paste function.
    CTRL + Z: Undo

Some advanced options would allow a person to use variables when running a command. Some of the variables may include:
    [My Name]
    [Chat Selected Name]
    [Navigation Coordinates]
    [Current Sector]
    [Ask,"Question"]

So, some examples, utilizing variables, would look like this:
    CTRL + ALT + G: Runs "/god_mode [My Name] true" command, which would then input the user's own name.
    CTRL + SHIFT + G: Runs "/god_mode [My Name] false" command.
    CTRL + K: Runs, "/kick [Chat Selected Name]" which would then kick the player an admin has selected on the chat menu.
    CTRL + T: Runs, "/change_sector_for [Chat Selected Name] [Navigation Coordinates]" This would be useful for mods who want to teleport players to areas, being able to do it quickly for several players.
    CTRL + ALT + D: Runs, "/despawn_all [ASK,"What's the first part of the entity names you'd like to remove?"] all true". This would pop up a dialogue box with the question in the quotes. It would then use whatever the person inputs to run the /despawn_all command.
    CTRL + S: Runs, "/save [ASK,"What would you like to save your ship as?"]" This would open a dialogue box asking the person the question in quotes and then save their currently entered ship as a blueprint with their input.

As you can see, these are just a small amount of options a player may want to customize, but would be rather useful. By being able to run commands, this would also allow future functionality for new systems that are placed into the game easily, so long as they have corresponding command lines. Also, by allowing key combinations, rather than simple key presses, you'd open up a lot more possibilities for players to customize how their game works to their liking.

As always, thoughts and suggestions are welcome. :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Most of these are quite specific to admins. I like the idea of being able to open the faction menu or access copy and paste mode with key presses though.