CS: Quickfire Initiative: Rebalancing StarMade

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So I've been trying to test out the new system but the game keeps overwriting my server.cfg file. The game ignores setting the file to read only and if I alter the file security permissions in the properties menu in Windows, the game won't load.

Is there any way to get the game to use the server.cfg AS IS; and not overwrite it?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    So I've been trying to test out the new system but the game keeps overwriting my server.cfg file. The game ignores setting the file to read only and if I alter the file security permissions in the properties menu in Windows, the game won't load.

Is there any way to get the game to use the server.cfg AS IS; and not overwrite it?
    I've sent your message to schema, waiting on a response :)

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Is it overwriting all settings? I'm a bit unsure on the exact issue. I can make an option so that the server file would never be written.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Is it overwriting all settings? I'm a bit unsure on the exact issue. I can make an option so that the server file would never be written.
    It overwrites AI accuracy, that's 100% sure. Not sure about other settings. I did have issues with sector size as well but it stopped, so might've just been on my end. However, a bunch of the comments explaining the settings also get set to //null seemingly at random. I have no idea what is causing this...

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It overwrites AI accuracy, that's 100% sure. Not sure about other settings. I did have issues with sector size as well but it stopped, so might've just been on my end. However, a bunch of the comments explaining the settings also get set to //null seemingly at random. I have no idea what is causing this...
    Thanks for the quick response,
    From what I've seen, it resets the config as follows.

ENEMY_SPAWNING = true (my setting was false)
    SECTOR_SIZE = 2000 (QF setting was 16000)
    DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_ENEMY_USE = true (my setting was false)
    DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_FACTION_BUY = true (my setting was false)
    DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_OTHERS_BUY = true (my setting was false)
    DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_HOME_BASE_BUY = true (my setting was false)
    THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT = 75 (QF setting was 85)
    MAX_CLIENTS = 32 (QF setting was 40)
    PHYSICS_LINEAR_DAMPING = 0.05 (QF setting was 0.09)
    PHYSICS_ROTATIONAL_DAMPING = 0.05 (QF setting was 0.09)
    WEAPON_RANGE_REFERENCE = 2000.0 (QF setting was 2000)
    AI_WEAPON_AIMING_ACCURACY = 200 (my setting was 4000)
    PLAYER_MAX_BUILD_AREA = 10 (my setting was 50)
    NPC_FACTION_SPAWN_LIMIT = -1 ( (my setting was 0)
    AI_ENGAGEMENT_RANGE_OF_MIN_WEAPON_RANGE = 0.75 (my setting was 0.9)
    MISSILE_TARGET_PREDICTION = 2.0 (my setting was 3.5)

I've attached both server.cfg files for comparison if anyone needs the full list of what else may have been altered.

I'm also getting an error when I add...
    - blockBehaviorConfig.xml
    - BlockConfig.xml
    - EffectConfig.xml
    to the folder; ...\StarMade\data\config. I was under the impression that these files need to be replaced with the QF variants to enable the new balance changes; though I could just be doing it wrong. Is there a specific process I should be following or a specific build I need to be on?

In any case, the game fails to load and displays this error in the newer launcher
    Error New Launcher.jpg

...and this one in the classic launcher
    Error Classic.jpg

I backed up my install so I'm not dead in the water but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks again.

Attachments

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I replaced the default file and there seems to be no overwriting. In case of a read error it would overwrite with default values. It seems to be ok now at least

Reactions: Reilly Reese
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    you will also/may need the GameConfig.xml to get it to run with QF-config (not sure why atm, it looks identical*)...
    kept sticking @ 97% for me, no error, then I added that and like a miracle it ran... wierd stuff...
    Also and/or try creating a new world!

Last edited:
    Reactions: DukeofRealms

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    you will also/may need the GameConfig.xml to get it to run with QF-config (not sure why atm, it looks identical*)...
    kept sticking @ 97% for me, no error, then I added that and like a miracle it ran... wierd stuff...
    Also and/or try creating a new world!
    So far, I'm not having the best of luck with that.

Following Scypio's advice, I did a fresh download and install from scratch. I tried the latest release and dev builds.
    The update (either build) causes the server.cfg to reset. Gameconfig.xml had no discernible effect and the data folder causes the game to freeze at about 95%.

I'll try to troubleshoot a little further.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So far, I'm not having the best of luck with that.

Following Scypio's advice, I did a fresh download and install from scratch. I tried the latest release and dev builds.
    The update (either build) causes the server.cfg to reset. Gameconfig.xml had no discernible effect and the data folder causes the game to freeze at about 95%.

I'll try to troubleshoot a little further.
    I forwarded a bunch of test data to the devs and all the issues that were found pertaining to the server.cfg problems seem to have been fixed with 202.11a . From some quick tests the "config values getting replaced" issue seems to have been fixed as well, but I'll have to do more testing to make sure. It should be safe to use the dev build now.

Just keep in mind that if you're updating from an older version you'll have to delete the server.cfg file found in your /StarMade folder. That'll allow the game to generate a new, proper server config file.

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I replaced the default file and there seems to be no overwriting. In case of a read error it would overwrite with default values. It seems to be ok now at least

I forwarded a bunch of test data to the devs and all the issues that were found pertaining to the server.cfg problems seem to have been fixed with 202.11a . From some quick tests the "config values getting replaced" issue seems to have been fixed as well, but I'll have to do more testing to make sure. It should be safe to use the dev build now.

Just keep in mind that if you're updating from an older version you'll have to delete the server.cfg file found in your /StarMade folder. That'll allow the game to generate a new, proper server config file.
    Dev Build 202.11a did the trick. I'm back online.

Thank you all for your help!