crystal wedges

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Flowing liquids is a possibility iirc.

They dont want to change the current water and lava though because that will ruin peoples designs, so the current stuff will probably get a new name and description to explain why it doesnt flow, and then the flowing stuff gets in if they decide too.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm on the all-or-nothing route, too. :p
    Having wedges for one type of crystals, but not for the others is inconsistent game design, even having wedges but not tetras/pentas (corners are dispensable if necessary) for all crystals would be inconsistent (but to a lesser degree, of course). This inconsistence hurts me more than giving up cyan crystal wedges.
    We are not irrational, we see the big picture and are more interested in the game as a whole than in single blocks.
    Brb.
    Removing 'Ice Crystal Wedges'.

While i'm at it, we're not making penta, corner, or tetra versions of the hazard stripes / grates / mesh. *strikes from list* ... anything else? :D

I still firmly believe something is better than nothing. I too would like to see some wedges of the new crystals, but if it is not implemented, removing similar block to those proposed would just be limiting the scope of players even more. Not something we would want to do.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Brb.

While i'm at it, we're not making penta, corner, or tetra versions of the hazard stripes / grates / mesh. *strikes from list* ... anything else?
    dont do eet!

Reaction score
    Brb.

While i'm at it, we're not making penta, corner, or tetra versions of the hazard stripes / grates / mesh. *strikes from list* ... anything else?
    Yeah, remove all ships they're OP, my 10 block fighter can't attack a 300 KM capital.

Also remove planets and asteroids, they contain too many blocks it's just a waste of content ID's. Oh and while you're at it remove stations too they lag my laptop from 2006.

Then remove factions because they killed me once and it makes me SO ANGRY that factions are KILLING STARMADE and I'M LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK!!1!!!11 Don't look at me whilst I'm being a sulky supra!

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Pretty sure the "other reasons" for not having wedges of the new crystal types ties in to the fact that they will be crafting resources, like minerals, unlike (to my knowledge) the ice crystals.

I'm happy with our shiny new ice crystal wedges and just various colours of different light I can use with the new crystals, wedging or no.
    On another note I don't think the texture of the new crystals (atleast in the pixel pack, which I mainly use) suits covering larger areas with them as well as the ice crystal one does. Atleast so far this hasn't bothered me much.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    On another note I don't think the texture of the new crystals (atleast in the pixel pack, which I mainly use) suits covering larger areas with them as well as the ice crystal one does.
    Noted, thanks. Things are continuously being re-textured or improved as time goes by. I'll add it to the list of things to look at.

Reaction score
    Noted, thanks. Things are continuously being re-textured or improved as time goes by. I'll add it to the list of things to look at.
    One problem I noticed with the crystal textures is the have too much of a pattern and it doesn't look very good when placed side by side. The ice crystal doesn't have very apparent edges or textures that pop out so you can make giant plates out of them and they look more like one solid ice crystal where as with the other ones you get that weird kaleidoscope effect.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    One problem I noticed with the crystal textures is the have too much of a pattern and it doesn't look very good when placed side by side. The ice crystal doesn't have very apparent edges or textures that pop out so you can make giant plates out of them and they look more like one solid ice crystal where as with the other ones you get that weird kaleidoscope effect.
    They're not suppose to tile like the hull of a ship, nor are they suppose to look raw. They will keep their "cut" and edges as they are a refined / manufactured resource. Not a purely decorative object to build a ship out of.

Let's keep further comments on topic in reply to the OP's first post.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    They're not suppose to tile like the hull of a ship, nor are they suppose to look raw. They will keep their "cut" and edges as they are a refined / manufactured resource. Not a purely decorative object to build a ship out of.

Let's keep further comments on topic in reply to the OP's first post.
    ...Then we'll still need borderless lights in all of those colors. Which will blow even MORE IDs.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    While i'm at it, we're not making penta, corner, or tetra versions of the hazard stripes / grates / mesh. *strikes from list* ... anything else? :D
    Hazard stripes / grates / mesh don't belong to the crystal group. All blocks within a group should be treated equally.

Reaction score
    Hazard stripes / grates / mesh don't belong to the crystal group. All blocks within a group should be treated equally.
    According to this logic ice crystal isn't in the same group as the new crystals either. The new ones are crafting resources while ice crystal is terrain / decorational.

Reaction score
    Some people are getting a little overly defensive of the opinions being put forward. I don't really understand the big "alright well let's remove everything seeing as you aren't happy with the situation", attitude. I don't think anyone's genuinely suggesting the crystals should be removed entirely just because they don't conform to the consistency of the rest of the game, that would be childish.

"All or nothing" in this context just means that from a game design or end-user perspective, it would be assumed the materials would be consistent, if they are going to be there in the first place.

I accept it's apparently impossible, but that opinion still stands for me.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    According to this logic ice crystal isn't in the same group as the new crystals either. The new ones are crafting resources while ice crystal is terrain / decorational.
    The other crystal types might be integrated into terrain generation in the future.

Reactions: Ithirahad

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I don't really understand the big "alright well let's remove everything seeing as you aren't happy with the situation", attitude. I don't think anyone's genuinely suggesting the crystals should be removed entirely just because they don't conform to the consistency of the rest of the game, that would be childish.
    Apart from yourself and others in this thread?

True, but why make wedges for only 1 type of crystal? IMO either all or none.
    I'm with Mega, all or none.
    I'm on the all-or-nothing route, too. :p
    Having wedges for one type of crystals, but not for the others is inconsistent game design, even having wedges but not tetras/pentas (corners are dispensable if necessary) for all crystals would be inconsistent (but to a lesser degree, of course). This inconsistence hurts me more than giving up cyan crystal wedges.
    We are not irrational, we see the big picture and are more interested in the game as a whole than in single blocks.

Sarcasm doesn't travel through text unfortunately. I had no intentions of removing anything. Perhaps re-reading nearly all of my responses in this thread stating i like the idea and want to continue creating more decorative options would remind you of my actual stance.

Reaction score
    i like the idea and want to continue creating more decorative options would remind you of my actual stance.
    Listen, I know you don't want to tell us anything in case we interpret it as totally canon then get pissed when it isn't added but...

What would YOU, as in Kupu want added, decorative wise? If you could have total creative reign?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Listen, I know you don't want to tell us anything in case we interpret it as totally canon then get pissed when it isn't added but...

What would YOU, as in Kupu want added, decorative wise? If you could have total creative reign?
    Sure, what could possibly go wrong with this! Ha!

Personally? (Off the record? :D) I'd love to see multiple door options. I'd love to have plenty of decorative blocks specific to ship / room roles (Engineering / Research / Medical etc.), not just for RP purposes, but for the game to just feel that little bit more alive. Choice is key in a creative game like this. I'd like to see sprite holograms and animated displays. I'd like to see more options for lights and detailing. Bits of ship systems that don't actually "work", but tie everything together visually. Vents, pipes, wiring, hatches, the list goes on. I'd like to make more animated blocks so things beep and light up in cockpits and bridges.

I'd like lots of things. Lots of things i'm sure will eventually be made.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    wait,there is limit on id-s? that scares me more than death itself!
    Of course. Each block within an entity (ship/station/planet) has the same amount of information available, which is shared between ID, orientation, damage, ON/OFF-state and whatnot. Doubling the maximum number of IDs increases the memory usage of an entity by 1 bit per block, and if the number of bits per block isn't divisible by 8 or at least 4 things get complicated.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Of course. Each block within an entity (ship/station/planet) has the same amount of information available, which is shared between ID, orientation, damage, ON/OFF-state and whatnot. Doubling the maximum number of IDs increases the memory usage of an entity by 1 bit per block, and if the number of bits per block isn't divisible by 8 or at least 4 things get complicated.
    Yes, but how many IDs DO we have?