crystal wedges

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ok so ice crystal wedges were finaly implemented into the game along with 8 different colors of crystal. I would like to see wedges for all of the colors of crystal.
    (also a black crystal would be nice :) )

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    ths would take up precious item id's, which kupu has said before are limited

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    The darker purple crystal will be tweaked again to better fill the role of a black crystal.

Like Rimmer said :) Yes, item ID's are currently a finite resource. We're hardly scraping the barrel, but it is something we have to consider when adding blocks.

I'm a huge fan of decorative things, so i'm not opposed to the idea at all, but the intended role of these crystals are not purely decorative. I can't give a yes/ no to this currently unfortunately!

True, but why make wedges for only 1 type of crystal? IMO either all or none.
    Really? You'd rather have less than you could, simply because you can't have everything?

Reactions: rece ktore leczo
    Reaction score
    I'm with Mega, all or none. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a pink crystal.

The darker purple crystal will be tweaked again to better fill the role of a black crystal.
    What? You mean purple is being removed? But that's not a solution, dude, purple is the best.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm with Mega, all or none. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a pink crystal.
    What? You mean purple is being removed? But that's not a solution, dude, purple is the best.
    No.
    The darker purple crystal will be tweaked.
    There are 8 Crystals. Sertise (purple) and Nocx (Darker purple / Black) are correspondent with Purple Hull and Black Hull respectively.

Nocx has quite a purple hue currently and needs to be made darker to better fit the role of a black crystal.

Again....
    Wanting everything or nothing is beyond flawed logic. Can you imagine if we actually acted on this? If we removed current in-game options like Ice crystal wedges because a partially related forum suggestion was rejected?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Sorry, but I have a hard time believing item ids are as finite as claimed.

What exactly is the limit and what drawbacks are associated with it?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    The drawback of hitting the limit on unique ID's is that we would not be able to add more ID's.

Pardon my being blunt, but you believing it or not is inconsequential. It is a limitation we must factor in and be wary of for future development.

Reactions: AsherMaximum

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

Like Rimmer said :) Yes, item ID's are currently a finite resource. We're hardly scraping the barrel, but it is something we have to consider when adding blocks.

I'm a huge fan of decorative things, so i'm not opposed to the idea at all, but the intended role of these crystals are not purely decorative. I can't give a yes/ no to this currently unfortunately!

Really? You'd rather have less than you could, simply because you can't have everything?
    While we're on the topic, what IS the maximum number of item IDs the game supports? We're in the 400s right now, I think.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    The drawback of hitting the limit on unique ID's is that we would not be able to add more ID's.

Pardon my being blunt, but you believing it or not is inconsequential. It is a limitation we must factor in and be wary of for future development.
    So what's the limit and how many are implemented right now? If the max id is based around the max limit that Java or xml can store an integer, than you will never hit that limit.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    You'd rather have less than you could, simply because you can't have everything?
    The problem isn't the inability to have everything, the problem is, that the recoloring of icecrystal structures, that invovle wedges, becomes impossible. Besides, I don't mind icecrystal wedges being there, even without the other crytal wedges, I just like the other options a bit more.
    So what's the limit and how many are implemented right now? If the max id is based around the max limit that Java or xml can store an integer, than you will never hit that limit.
    The limit is obviously below that, I think it is a short integer(2 bytes, so the max limit would be 2^16-1)

Reaction score
    The thing is, it wouldn't make sense to not have them. Why would people just want to use blue wedges and not other colours? Having ice crystal wedges suddenly gave me the chance to improve some of my ideas with the blue cubes I've used already. I would therefore expect to be able to apply those same ideas to other colours. Cyan blue is a nice colour and all, but, this is a game of variety and the freedom of imagination. It would be like only having armoured white hull wedges instead of the wedges for every colour we presently have.

Just out of interest, why does such a limit exist? I'm sure there's a very good reason, but it seems strange in a world so advanced that there would be limits of that kind.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I don't mind ice crystal wedges being there, even without the other crsytal wedges, I just like the other options a bit more.
    That's fine. Like i say, i'm a big fan of deco' blocks and giving players more building choices. If there was no other considerations to be made (not just ID limits) then i'd love to say we can put them in the game. Currently it's an unknown (despite me wanting them!)
    (You seem to be no longer on the all or nothing route then? :p)

The game currently has 477 ID's being used. However I'm not going to disclose the limits here or now for 2 reasons.
    1, I'll let a another dev who knows the ID system better to discuss it with you, should they see it necessary.
    2, Giving a figure is relatively arbitrary. It could be incredibly easy to justify putting in X,Y,Z blocks by looking at 2 figures on paper, but without knowing future additions / systems it becomes harder.

Reaction score
    Not being funny or anything kupu , but this engine may need reworking in the future. For one we're told that lava and water will never flow due to it not being in the engine (Correct if wrong), and now we can have a limited set of blocks because the engine has a finite limit? Sounds like it might be a bit dodgy in the future...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call Schine techs unprofessional or anything, I'm just thinking what will the future of the game be like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Not being funny or anything kupu , but this engine may need reworking in the future. For one we're told that lava and water will never flow due to it not being in the engine (Correct if wrong), and now we can have a limited set of blocks because the engine has a finite limit? Sounds like it might be a bit dodgy in the future...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call Schine techs unprofessional or anything, I'm just thinking what will the future of the game be like.
    I thought we were getting flowing liquids? Where did you hear differently?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the engine to explain it's limitations or potential methods to remove them. I imagine it's being reworked continuously as the game progresses.

As for the future of the game? I'm sure bridges will be crossed when they arise. We all want the best for the game after all!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm on the all-or-nothing route, too. :p
    Having wedges for one type of crystals, but not for the others is inconsistent game design, even having wedges but not tetras/pentas (corners are dispensable if necessary) for all crystals would be inconsistent (but to a lesser degree, of course). This inconsistence hurts me more than giving up cyan crystal wedges.
    We are not irrational, we see the big picture and are more interested in the game as a whole than in single blocks.

Reactions: LaForge
    Reaction score
    I thought we were getting flowing liquids? Where did you hear differently?
    Were we? I need to catch up. Kids these days, so difficult to catch up with them. I remember back in 2013 we only had 5 weapons. And we LIKED it that way.

Reactions: therimmer96