Cross Entity Lighting

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I know its been a nebulous "someday" thing for a while now, but just putting back out there a request for better cross-entity lighting.

starmade-screenshot-0003.jpg
    This is a section of hallway in my new ship. That black square in the center is actually the same dark grey block as the ones around it, it just happens to be the face block of a hidden anti-personnel cannon aimed down a long hallway.

Kinda stands out like a sore thumb, but I'm building on the assumption it will one day be fixed.

Would be really nice to find a way to just treat docked entities as being one object for lighting purposes...

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This isn't any consolation, but there's a bit of a way to exploit docked entities producing the same sort of light as their parents, by abusing the intangibility of light rods.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    All my rail doors on my new ship are very dark eventho I already placed masses of lightblocks on the door entity.
    Cross entity lighting is really something "minor" which should give a "major" boost to the game feeling.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This isn't any consolation, but there's a bit of a way to exploit docked entities producing the same sort of light as their parents, by abusing the intangibility of light rods.
    Yeah, but then its a case of "do I fix it now and tear everything apart to remove it if/when it gets fixed, or leave it broken now so that its correct if/when it does get fixed?"

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    +1
    I agree completely, nothing looks worse than an elevator coming up from the lower decks, and it is way darker than the rest of the ship. And its difficult to hide hidden doors and weapons on the hull because the lighting gives it away.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sorry I'm late to the party, but I think I've just run into this. Just to confirm, is it the same reason the door I'm trying to build looks like this, in relation to its noticeably darker surroundings?
    starmade-screenshot-0035.png

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sorry I'm late to the party, but I think I've just run into this. Just to confirm, is it the same reason the door I'm trying to build looks like this, in relation to its noticeably darker surroundings?
    Yup. You might want to replace grey on the door with dark grey or even black.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I tried dark grey. Not black though. Those are girders in the picture. But honestly I think I'll just switch to auto-plex doors, because I think it'll probably look like hell anyway. Hope they do decide to fix this before too long! I know they have a lot on their plates though.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    View attachment 40106
    This is why you make sure that near rail doors, everything is fully bright white light.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Haha, sorry guys! I mean, I just like my ships to be a little bit on the darker side. I mean, I might try and see how it looks with a white light, but chances are I'll just stick with plex, as inferior as it is, and just update it if and when they fix it..

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Haha, sorry guys! I mean, I just like my ships to be a little bit on the darker side. I mean, I might try and see how it looks with a white light, but chances are I'll just stick with plex, as inferior as it is, and just update it if and when they fix it..
    You monster.