Crime and punishment

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The issue I see with bounties from player-owned factions is that 10 trolls may put a bounty on a newbie without planet-eater ships yet.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Why are you saying I am asking for a hit list. You're putting words in my mouth. You stated that you wanted people with bounties on their heads to be capturable. This is what I was talking about. Where does killing come in with my question? I wanted to know if "good" players could place bounties on other players so they could capture them. Killing is an entirely different part of this system and renders the potential reward null. Anyone should be able to put a bounty out. This can be completely separate from the protected sectors that automatically place bounties on aggressive individuals. In the end, death does not have to be an option, akin to what you originally stated.

So in the end we like the idea of auto bounty placement on unwarranted attacks. Thats cool. Gives a sense of protected/unprotected space.

In the end I am not sure how damaging a kill would be to the wanted individual or what purpose that would serve as nothing was reimbursed. I feel like the role of a bounty hunter is diminished if NPC's also attack the wanted individual so hopefully the NPC's would only be coming after you in a protected area.

As for the player placing bounties on an individual. Lets say theres player A and B. Player A can place a bounty on player B. Player B will have to deal with your system, where they must pay their bounty to get out of it or risk being killed. Lets say player C wants to take on that bounty.

2 scenarios.
    Player C's faction is NOT at war with player B's faction. This means he can only attack player B in unprotected areas, else he will get an automatic bounty placed on himself. They can still peacefully collect the bounty as is the first option in your system. In the end, no fighting.

Player C's faction IS at war player B's faction. They can now attack this wanted individual in protected areas without penalty so long as they attempted to collect the bounty first. In the end, potential fighting.

The problem I have with this is primarily the idea that the wanted individual can pay off the bounty, which can in some instances give little consequence to those players for acting aggressively. The wealthiest players could be jerks all the time and if this system forces you to FIRST attempt to collect the bounty, then they could dodge the risk of getting killed indefinitely. If the bounty hunter just goes and kills then it really isn't a system at that point and just reverts to pvp.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I see what you're saying, but I don't see how that could work...

If you placed a bounty on someone, you're basically demanding they pay you. I can go and place a bounty then on the richest person on the server (Player A), and when someone (Player B) captures them, Player B gets 10% of the bounty and I get the rest, for no work. It doesn't make sense to me. You shouldn't be able to simply take out a bounty on someone without having a loss from that player in the first place. If you did have a loss of something, you'd hopefully have hired a protector probe to watch your base for you. Then it would have automatically been recorded. Maybe you can have a protector drone dock on your ship as well, but the drone would be neutral so it would record your acts of aggression as well.

Lets say someone does destroy your base, or you, and it's recorded. If you prefer, you could choose not to pursue the bounty, or you could choose to reduce it from the maximum amount.... but to take out a bounty (using my terms of what a bounty is) against anyone at will, well that would like me in real life putting a bogus charge on your head so that you get arrested unless you pay me without any evidence.

Hey, I hope I didn't offend you, I just feel like sometimes people don't read everything I write because they ask questions that I already answered.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    In EVE you can place a bounty on anyone. You can't hurt them though unless they are out of CONCORD space or they commit a crime such as stealing.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I see what you're saying, but I don't see how that could work...

If you placed a bounty on someone, you're basically demanding they pay you. I can go and place a bounty then on the richest person on the server (Player A), and when someone (Player B) captures them, Player B gets 10% of the bounty and I get the rest, for no work. It doesn't make sense to me. You shouldn't be able to simply take out a bounty on someone without having a loss from that player in the first place. If you did have a loss of something, you'd hopefully have hired a protector probe to watch your base for you. Then it would have automatically been recorded. Maybe you can have a protector drone dock on your ship as well, but the drone would be neutral so it would record your acts of aggression as well.

Lets say someone does destroy your base, or you, and it's recorded. If you prefer, you could choose not to pursue the bounty, or you could choose to reduce it from the maximum amount.... but to take out a bounty (using my terms of what a bounty is) against anyone at will, well that would like me in real life putting a bogus charge on your head so that you get arrested unless you pay me without any evidence.

Hey, I hope I didn't offend you, I just feel like sometimes people don't read everything I write because they ask questions that I already answered.
    See thats why I don't like the whole "the wanted individual hands you money" thing. Its a non traditional way of bounty hunting. It WOULD be easier to just make it a hit list. Actually at that point I would separate those two types of system there. A hit list that costs lots of money to take someone out paying the hunter and the automatic bounty system that would reimburse the aggressed player

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problems are :
    1. StarMade can't track assets.
      • You can have a huge cargo box on some planet belonging your faction mate but which is accessible by you and belongs to you per agreement.
    2. A rich player can put 1e9 (=1'000'000'000) bounty on your head and if you as a newbie would have to pay that you just can't play on that server anymore.
      • while any sort of "bounty can be max 50% of what a player owns" fails to problem 1.
    3. But Hit-Lists are a very inaccurate punishment (as far as I can understand the distinction)
      • why should a rich player care about getting shot in his minimal-ship with no credits and inventory in his pockets?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Saying that the game isn't PvP is just wrong. PvP is an integral part of the game. In fact, most of the elements currently in the game revolve around PvP! If you don't like that there's plenty of carebear servers out there that don't allow or limit PvP.

So please, don't try to enforce your view of the game onto everyone else. The game is currently being made so that people can easily adapt it to whatever their preference is via configs and other stuff. And I intend to see it stay that way (the devs also do).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Saying that the game isn't PvP is just wrong. PvP is an integral part of the game. In fact, most of the elements currently in the game revolve around PvP! If you don't like that there's plenty of carebear servers out there that don't allow or limit PvP.
    PvP usually happens with a game that resets every 30 minutes or even every round (respawn players, take time to find another player)
    Aka : SpringRTS, Chess and CounterStrike​

Or in where there are so many players that nobody can for himself be bigger than 20% of others of the 20% of previous levels where you are not forced to play against always the same players.
    The Star-Made player-base needs to grow for this and will then be a completely different game from now.​

StarMade is
    1. ship, planet, station and sector editor
    2. which allows peoples to fight with blueprints against each other
    3. which also allows RP
    4. which also allows some PvE in pre-setup or generated environments (stronger enemies further away from spawn)