Crew Tactics: Has Anyone Even?

Reaction score
    Hello All,
    Since people around here seem to know a thing or two about space sims, I expect at least a few to know about Artemis. (TLDR: it's a game where everyone takes command of a position on a starship's bridge and explores/gets lost in/conquers the galaxy). After playing a bit of this game, I wondered if there was any way to replicate it in Starmade.
    Anyway, I just wanted to make some suggestions for a feature or two, and also discuss the concept itself. Has anyone tried this with the current game, and is anyone even interested in trying it at all?

And now, for the actual feature suggestion:
    So, right off the bat, I want to acknowledge the fact that Starmade is supposed to be made for a wide range of players, so I tried to keep it so that my suggestions will not overlook the person who likes to be in ultimate control.
    Basically, the only feature that would really be necessary to make this worthwhile would be a revamp of the Structure Panel. Instead of just a large list of control options, there could be some number (Around 4) of main menus that contained all which was previously a huge mass of confused commands. Hell, you might even be able to throw the navigation panel (or something similar) into the mix. Here is an example of how it could be broken down:

Structure:
    Engineering:
    -Information on power, shields, thrust, and other things like that goes here
    -Maybe even a means of reallocating power to different systems
    -Maybe a system of slider-bars that can change the percentage of power going to each system​
    -The ability to push power generation and thrust beyond "recommended capacity" (obviously at some sort of cost, like the possibility of a core-meltdown).
    -There is probably some other stuff that I overlooked that could go here as well.
    Tactical:
    -The ability to monitor and adjust weapons and their stats
    -The ability to monitor and control turrets
    -The ability to change the strength of shields in certain areas of the ship ("Full power to forward shields!")
    -The ability to set targets, both for turrets, and everyone else in the ship.
    -There is probably some other stuff that I overlooked that could go here as well.
    Ops:
    -The ability to open and close doors
    -The ability to control docking systems
    -Environmental control (if it is ever implemented)
    -Again, there is probably some other stuff that I overlooked that could go here as well.
    Science/Communications:
    -Inter-ship communications: hailing, etc.
    -Some means of long-distance sensors
    -Some means of scanning other ships/structures
    -Again, there is probably some other stuff that I overlooked that could go here as well.

So, this is all pretty modular, and since every station is available to everyone on the ship, it allows for one person to control it all, or let things adjust automatically like they do already. However, it also allows for groups of people to get together and attempt this thing called "teamwork" to give them an edge. That seems pretty "realistic" and "immersive" to me.
    While we are on the subject of sharing and teamwork, one more small system could be added to encourage the use of actual crews. If players could take over certain tasks that are only allowed to the player in the ship core, such as targeting, weapons control (not just control of a single computer), and navigation, one could theoretically create an entirely functional crew. Now, since this encouragement is not supposed to detract from the functionality of lone-wolf-flying, it could be made so that control of certain systems is shared, in that the person in the core still has absolute control of the ship, but other players will, as I said, have control of certain parts. This could make having a crew a bit more challenging, and thus give a possible edge to one-man-crews.
    I believe that I am right in assuming that Starmade aims to be a social game, and this could lead to a whole new level of social interaction. Humor me for one last suggestion in the realm of social gaming: integrated voice communication. It could function like it does in Battlefield, in that by default, communication happens within a squad (or a ship's crew). Maybe then, there could be a PTT key to talk to the entire team/faction/fleet, and then another to talk to everyone. Now, this would be a cool feature regardless of the previous ones, but it could really be used to the advantage of those trying to do more than commanding a warship with one man.

So, that's finally it. Hopefully you guys enjoyed my suggestions (and suggestions within suggestions), and obviously, if I was unclear in some part or another, I will be glad to answer any questions. Hey, maybe you even agree with me. Either way, this could really take Starmade to a new level of space simulators. Oh, and two disclaimers: 1) I know there is another forum for suggestions, but I also really wanted to generate discussion, so I put it here. I don't really mind if the thread gets moved, and I am sorry for being an inconvenience, and 2) if any of these suggestions have been made already, or I have missed some piece of information about planned features, I am again deeply sorry.

Last edited:

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    It would be nice to have additional 'seats' for co-pilots/crewmembers that can be assigned access to certain ship systems. The captain should always have access to all of it, but they can help during a tense engagement.

Untill such a thing is possible however, you can already start creating 'stations' for your crew on the bridge with a bunch of the upcoming logic blocks grouped together linked to some major ship systems. Depending on how deep the customization will be able to go eventually, you can already do quite a few things on your ships with them.

Reactions: Ithirahad

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think more players should create a stronger ship.
    Two players in two ships will have 2 mille power regen cap for example.

But I don't really know how it should be balanced.

Despite advantages or disadvantages to flying multiple ships or solo, I think it would add to RP, increases player-count in the community and thus make playing more interesting in general.
    because of that, I give it a like.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I would like to see that as well. Were multiple people in a ships makes it stronger, increases it abilities and even is required depending on ship size and stats. That would require teamwork, the need for factions to be more than one person and it makes it so one person can operate a 1300m ship alone. Even have it to were there are needed and separatd sections of a ship like engineering, med bay, navigation, and such. That bring realism to the game and increases the difficulty of building/ maintaining large shops. As well as limiting them too. A small ship for instance can be piloted by one person or AI.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I am kind of unsure whether I'd like a clear-cut division to engineering, science etc crew men. Depending on the ship, the roles, their responsibilities and so on differ greatly. One ship may need a special separate console and array/battery systems for weapons that'd encourage more crewmen than just a pilot, other ship may need - and should have access to - firing it's simple at the general location of it's target through pilot pressing a button during flight as without such feature, stuff like fighters is completely out.

What I am strongly for, though, is making crews somewhat important or near necessary for some ships. Regarding last Q&A, I would actually see need for a crew one of the things most big ships should depend on.

Currently, while it allows great creativity, access to great firepowers for everyone and bragging rights, on most servers big ships were actually that - and only that. Big capital battlecruisers were just up-scaled, slightly less maneuverable fighters. In fights between different clans, because each player could take one leviathan of a ship, battles themselves were less about tactics and proper use of different ships and more about 'let's make out stuff bigger so when we'll just rush each other, the party with more blocks will last longer'. Which is simply a waste and a reason why seldom any skirmish looks really interesting for so many spectators, I'd wager.

Reaction score
    I am kind of unsure whether I'd like a clear-cut division to engineering, science etc crew men. Depending on the ship, the roles, their responsibilities and so on differ greatly. One ship may need a special separate console and array/battery systems for weapons that'd encourage more crewmen than just a pilot, other ship may need - and should have access to - firing it's simple at the general location of it's target through pilot pressing a button during flight as without such feature, stuff like fighters is completely out.

What I am strongly for, though, is making crews somewhat important or near necessary for some ships. Regarding last Q&A, I would actually see need for a crew one of the things most big ships should depend on.

Currently, while it allows great creativity, access to great firepowers for everyone and bragging rights, on most servers big ships were actually that - and only that. Big capital battlecruisers were just up-scaled, slightly less maneuverable fighters. In fights between different clans, because each player could take one leviathan of a ship, battles themselves were less about tactics and proper use of different ships and more about 'let's make out stuff bigger so when we'll just rush each other, the party with more blocks will last longer'. Which is simply a waste and a reason why seldom any skirmish looks really interesting for so many spectators, I'd wager.
    I agree with all of that, and I think the ability to customize posts/roles would definitely be awesome. Maybe there should just be one "console" block, then an option to assign ship functions to it. Or, just give every crewman the option to access every role through something like the Structure panel in the GUI, that way if some crewman happens to die or something, other members of the crew can take over. Hell, it could even be set to work like Star Trek so that if the ship begins to take damage, there's some chance of a "console" block causing damage to the player occupying it (though I never fully understood why that was necessary).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    (though I never fully understood why that was necessary)
    +1
    Just imagine a Fiber-Optic-Cable which forwards commands in your console to some other device.

But maybe it was necessary as anti-intruder-technology for war-ships in some hidden scenes?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree with all of that, and I think the ability to customize posts/roles would definitely be awesome. Maybe there should just be one "console" block, then an option to assign ship functions to it. Or, just give every crewman the option to access every role through something like the Structure panel in the GUI, that way if some crewman happens to die or something, other members of the crew can take over. Hell, it could even be set to work like Star Trek so that if the ship begins to take damage, there's some chance of a "console" block causing damage to the player occupying it (though I never fully understood why that was necessary).
    Aside from exploding consoles (which is probably one of the silliest things in Star Trek), I'd like to see all of this stuff. Not to mention the player/captain getting a seat rather than just getting sucked into the computer core.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of having a ship crew. As it is, and I've likely missed something so I apologize if that's the case, there's already different control computers for the various weapons, just have those control blocks be "enterable" like a ships core, but giving control to just those systems. Like Han & Luke manning the quad lasers on the Millennium Falcon, they control just those weapons while Chewie, in the ships' "core" as the pilot. It's totally optional, if no one is manning those weapons, they default to core control for those single player ships, but if you have a crew, they can man those weapons.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like the idea of having a ship crew. As it is, and I've likely missed something so I apologize if that's the case, there's already different control computers for the various weapons, just have those control blocks be "enterable" like a ships core, but giving control to just those systems. Like Han & Luke manning the quad lasers on the Millennium Falcon, they control just those weapons while Chewie, in the ships' "core" as the pilot. It's totally optional, if no one is manning those weapons, they default to core control for those single player ships, but if you have a crew, they can man those weapons.
    Weapon computers already work that way. Problem is, there isn't really any advantage to having people in them. There is, of course, also the fact that there's no visual difference between an empty bridge and one with people in it - you can't control anything without making your player disappear, which is... silly at best.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea of changing how people look when in control of a ship. The fact that you loose half your height when you enter a ship core has always bothered me.

Aside from that, I like the idea of a PTT key and the ability of a captain to give subordinates some responsibilities during a stressful situation, so he can concentrate on keeping the ship in one piece. (Asteroid field, enemy base, pirates, war)

Though, I don't think that more players on one ship should give any direct buff. To OP, as players already give buffs, just be being more capable than AIs.