Creatures

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the player animation is not so squared like minecraft, so the creatures can be more nice, not a square with legs. And is cool if any of the creature species have some ability to destroy blocks, base sabotage, a \"i like energy blocks\" , and a way to control the mobs, like fences or a mini turret, and a posibility to temporary destroy the creatures in your planet, like destroing the nests, but making immposible do it with a ship, to enhance the pilot play. And for the look, i vote for some like the starcraft zerglings.
    Oh, and if the aliens can fly out of hte atmosphere, is more interesting than pirates, but they have to make a completly new faction, so i think is good to keep the aliens inside the planet, for the moment

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Two rare mobs, always near each other, found orbiting earthlike planets-- their names? Wheatley and the Space Core. :3

Reaction score
    0: STARSHIPTROOPERS

1: GOTO 0

Hah, that movie is awesome. I wouldn\'t call it a triumph of cinema, but there\'s enough awesome that I don\'t really mind. I should go look at the anatomy of those things. If only planets were big enough for you to hold an outpost against an absurd overwhelming number of vicious aliens coming from all sides. Planets seem a little too small for that to me, but maybe I\'ll be pleasantly surprised.

Oh god, Xenomorphs and giant bugs?

WE ARE DOOMED!

Pfft, of course you\'re doomed. You\'ve got me as a mad scientist controlling your destiny and the endless variations of alien lifeforms you\'ll be encountering. Xenomorph(-like-aliens) and giant bugs are only the beginning of your foray into wild alien adventure. (Err, don\'t take that sentence the wrong way.)

... And for the look, i vote for some like the starcraft zerglings. ...

Somehow, this line stuck out at me. Not that I hadn\'t already been using the Zerg for inspiration, it just somehow felt like \"...that\'s a great idea. Why haven\'t I been thinking more about the Zerg?\" Need to spend more time thinking about how the Zerg can influence the art design of creatures in StarMade.

...oh, and I also read the rest of your post. *ahem* The point of having some sort of crowd control is actually a good one. I mean, besides your laser pistol or a large turret on your house. I should mention that to Schema. And yes, since the creatures aren\'t defined and animated by code (leaving them nothing more than a bunch of boxes that kind of rotate some sometimes), creatures are going to be a LOT more interesting in looks and especially movement.

Also, generally harmless pests that try to find exposed power generator blocks and eat them would be a hilariously deadly addition. Might also have to mention that to Schema.

Two rare mobs, always near each other, found orbiting earthlike planets-- their names? Wheatley and the Space Core. :3

Unlikely to be in the base game obviously, but now that you mention it, I\'m going to have to model the space core and give it to the community if people want to mod it in. Could be reskinned blue for Wheatley.

...space.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    So this is what happens when we leave you alone, Omni... Well, your ideas of looking to the zerg swarms for inspiration is certainly a good move. The only thing worse than being a newblood chased by vicious predators is being a newblood chased by an entire local population of semi-intelligent vicious predators.

Oh, and graceful NASSian Space Whales.

Reaction score
    Ok what about the now before you put them in you\'ll have to get more and some better player weapons but if you have 3 types of mobs

1- pirates with the player base but with a new skin and obs different types of weapons

2- a Malay creature that likes to enter ships and as long as there is 1 it spawns more

3- and a non hostile mob that could be farmed and used for items

Reaction score
    So this is what happens when we leave you alone, Omni... Well, your ideas of looking to the zerg swarms for inspiration is certainly a good move. The only thing worse than being a newblood chased by vicious predators is being a newblood chased by an entire local population of semi-intelligent vicious predators.

Oh, and graceful NASSian Space Whales.

Ah yes, FURB... you should know better to leave me alone. No one knows what mad science I get up to behind this Möbius strip. >:3 Well, except Schema.

Ok what about the now before you put them in you\'ll have to get more and some better player weapons but if you have 3 types of mobs

1- pirates with the player base but with a new skin and obs different types of weapons

2- a melee* creature that likes to enter ships and as long as there is 1 it spawns more

3- and a non hostile mob that could be farmed and used for items

Schema and I will work out the specifics of implementation and what is what. I find this is a bit too specific of a suggestion. At the moment, I need a wide range of visual ideas and general concepts to all through into the melting pot and see what they become.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I predict buildeable, directeable NPC creatures.

Or, to put it another way...

Robits, or robots are they are typically pronounced nowadays.

Reaction score
    Grey goo cubes burrowing themselves into ships. They\'d duplicate by replacing critically damaged ( > 5 hp) ship blocks adjacent to themselves. Sliding and bouncing around as rounder blobs when moving in gravity.

Ideally capable of turning ships hostile (at which point they\'d stop damaging non-hull blocks) to propagate themselves.

Reaction score
    Replicators...

I do quite like the sound of Zerg-inspired creatures. Though with that, you could also draw a little inspiration from Metroid\'s creature designs, particularly the more insectoid ones in the Prime series... (in links due to size):

http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/d/d4/War_Wasp.png

http://www.metroid-database.com/bestiary/artwork/thm/ins_plazmite_mp_thm.jpg

http://www.metroid-database.com/bestiary/artwork/thm/ins_iceparasite_mp_thm.jpg

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs45/300W/i/2009/102/1/f/Emperor_Ing_by_chrysaetos_pteron.png

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Genetics labs!

The player could extract or purchase DNA from various dead organisms and shops, and turn that into a new one.

To do so, put the DNA in a factory-like block, which can be chained to make even more of the now specialized creatures.
    Then, it could be connected to an \"armament\" block, which determines the size of the creature, based on connected blocks. The way the armament station would work is that, you could make a catalouge like recipie, put that into the machine, and have those certain parts equipped onto the parts of the creature you wish to place them on, via a GUI, much like shipbuilding. Then, you could leave that \"base\" model inside, while copies of it start to pour out the other end.

This could enhance gameplay infinitely, making ground battles, boarding craft, and even a full-scale army practical. These creatures could be outfitted with a fac module, telling them \"you are in this guy\'s faction\" some amcs, acting as a rifle, hulls, acting as body armor, and other things. Such a system would be easy to implement now, and has infinite room for growth during beta and onwards. Also, players would have the ability to use this on themselves, and be able to create a faction-specific creature, just for them and their buddies.

Reaction score
    does this mean on my single player world, where i have not seen much use in creating a faction, I have a station that is only mine as in i uses it for storage and undeathing my self, i am going to find a bunch of astronaut dudes and random aliens suddenly coming back from the cloaked coffe break room?

Also I fully expect (and hope) to see something that goes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLS2VsE79A

Reaction score
    Grey goo cubes burrowing themselves into ships. They\'d duplicate by replacing critically damaged ( > 5 hp) ship blocks adjacent to themselves. Sliding and bouncing around as rounder blobs when moving in gravity.

Ideally capable of turning ships hostile (at which point they\'d stop damaging non-hull blocks) to propagate themselves.

Hmm... that sounds interesting. In considering the possibility of living blocks (no promises!), I rather like the idea of something that could infest ships and make them hostile. Wonder if there could be things that go after overheating ships and take control of them if enough time passes, then slowly turn the ship into a flight-capable creature colony. Just thinking out loud, don\'t quote me on that. Or if you do, quote me on saying to not quote me on that.

Oh, Gosh

Replicators...

Hmm... yesss... yesss....

Just kidding. Not promising you won\'t run into something just as terrifying eventually, though. It might even be accidental. Part of the problem with something that generates itself; it might do something you didn\'t mean to happen. Actually, I specifically hope we accidentally release some horrible pest onto the universe in some update due to not realizing the implications of a particular combination, haha.

I do quite like the sound of Zerg-inspired creatures. Though with that, you could also draw a little inspiration from Metroid\'s creature designs, particularly the more insectoid ones in the Prime series... (in links due to size):

Actually, I was already using Metroid creature designs for inspiration. :D Good links/art, though. I\'ll save those for later inspiration.

When I think of exploring alien planets and meeting strange fauna, I often think of Metroid, both 2D and the Prime series. You\'re powerful and advanced, but the world is wild and its creatures diverse and resilient. From behind that visor you venture into unknown wonders.

So with \"random Spawn\"

does this mean on my single player world, where i have not seen much use in creating a faction, I have a station that is only mine as in i uses it for storage and undeathing my self, i am going to find a bunch of astronaut dudes and random aliens suddenly coming back from the cloaked coffe break room?

I think you\'d have to ask Schema for specifics, but I\'m guessing you\'re NOT going to come home to find your home base/station full of NPCs/creatures. Though if your \"base\" is on a planet, has a wide open entrance and that planet starts having some fauna, I can\'t promise you won\'t find them in your bathrooms waiting for you. Once again, only Schema could give you a definitive answer on these things.

Reaction score
    Just kidding. Not promising you won\'t run into something just as terrifying eventually, though. It might even be accidental. Part of the problem with something that generates itself; it might do something you didn\'t mean to happen. Actually, I specifically hope we accidentally release some horrible pest onto the universe in some update due to not realizing the implications of a particular combination, haha.

So are you randomly generating during runtime, or are you just going to generate once and populate everywhere? The former sounds far more interesting, IMO. It would mean the creatures would be different from world to world, and different servers could have entirely different fauna.

I look forward to the accidental pests. They\'d be a much more interesting threat to deal with than random raiding parties. Remember, when all else fails, blow up the planet.

Reaction score
    It will be awesome to run into creatures that dont like being ran into (haha hahaha)

As a Master of Evil Science and of Scientology (just kidding I am much more cruel than scientology)

I am giving you some free advise on Hellish Creatures which will destroy your ships:

Replicators (A must have) which drawn energy from your ship to duplicate themselfes(and after killing you float in space.... waiting).Off course they would only draw energy of exposed blocks (what about making the lights fliker thorugh this?)It would be great if there would be something like a swarm KI which determined the number of power/breedmothers and adjusted the number of high tier replicators spawned because this.

Aliens (I should pick more unique names for the creatures) which spit acid and burn a hole in your ship to find and kill you

And of course bugs which melee the Sh*** out of everything (oh and don\'t forget the rear-end artillery bugs)

Oh and to the design:

Put the knees on the backside( I wont say any more to this just try it =P).Oh and claws with 3 talons are 20% more scary than claws with 4

Also keep stealing great designs (great evil designs)

Reaction score
    We may need these if you add massive land monsters. Like the one in Aliens.

Reaction score
    I am going to build Gurren Lagann. Row, row, fight the powah!

But, that might be getting ahead of things, I think. I rather like the idea of walking around on a planet being a bit like Metroid, where you have some technological weapons (your pistol, at the moment, though better weapons would be nice) but the environment is full of strange, powerful creatures. Having a giant mech suit to walk around in might kill the feel a little.

Any plans for cyborg or mechanical NPC\'s?