Creatures

Reaction score
    Think a bout how cool Pacific Rim was. That was the feel I was going for.

Reaction score
    Are you trying to improve starmade or get rid of the space battles. While armies would be fun they may reduce the amount of things people do in space. Still loving the idea

Reaction score
    But I think the size of those aliens would make them look kind of ridiculous on Starmade\'s planets.

I get what you mean, though. Maybe you\'re right, something Alien-sized would be okay.

I now realize that given the planets we have, and the somewhat clumsy player controls, aiming for a Metroid-style experience on the planet is equally problematic...

Reaction score
    Armies wouldn\'t get rid of space battles at all, I don\'t see where that line of reasoning comes from. Think of them as more like boarding crews, or a planetary invasion force.

Reaction score
    If we get large amounts of naturally occurring water, SMART under water creature AI would be nice. I\'d also like to see random Beings in space. Perhaps there could be one that latches on to ships and slowly saps shields, or it enters and eats shield blocks. Or another one that goes into unshielded spaceships and takes over it, if given enough time, they will take over the ship, replacing blocks with their own organic material. Instead of a core, it\'d have a Brain, thoughts?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    So theoretically I could have my big ships overrun by some being that can eat through to the core, kill me and take control? If that did happen, It would have to be extremely rare

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I mean you would have a deralict space shuttle, floating around there somewhere, thats already half destroyed, that attackes you when you get close. So you would need to, somehow neutralise, or defeat your own ship, then board it. Then you would need to kill all the evil thingies before the core melt down finished (Since you blew up the core again, to stop the ship from shooting at you), so you could reclaim your ship.

It would be a pain in the ass for creative players, but it would be so damn fun for people that arnt just building prety things, cause it gives you like a custom little mission, in an enviroment that only you would know.

It would be especialy fun for the really massive ships, that have all sorts of corridors, and stuff :)

Reaction score
    No, basically, the idea is that it slowly drains shields, like really, slowly. There would be enough time to go outside, clear them off, and get back in your ship. It would also be impossible for them to take over an occupied ship, the parasites would take over an overheating ship core, and build forms onto the overtaken ship, it\'d look like the purple planets, but retextured

responding to 3rd post up, not the one directly above me.

Reaction score
    It will be awesome to run into creatures that dont like being ran into (haha hahaha)

It\'s my hope that there will be some that REALLY don\'t like being disturbed, either due to being very territorial, very aggressive or very defensive. In other words, \"Huh, what\'s th- OH CRAP.\" What the ones in game will be like at first may or may not involve this, but word to the wise: approach unknown fauna with caution. You don\'t know what kind of behavior they exhibit, and while a look at their body structure (herbivore, carnivore, big claws or not) might give reasonable grounds to have general assumptions about their behavior, there are always outliers on the bell curve.

Put the knees on the backside( I wont say any more to this just try it =P).Oh and claws with 3 talons are 20% more scary than claws with 4

Also keep stealing great designs (great evil designs)

Reverse joints? Always fun. Though actual practicality is an important consideration, so I\'d need to figure out why that would be beneficial over forward joints. Dual joint legs are always good, though. Also, I\'ll think about the claws. Everyone likes claws.

And don\'t worry, I had no plan to stop taking heavy inspiration from great and well established sources, though I will always put my own twist on it and try to make it fit the StarMade aesthetic.

... I rather like the idea of walking around on a planet being a bit like Metroid, where you have some technological weapons (your pistol, at the moment, though better weapons would be nice) but the environment is full of strange, powerful creatures. ...

Any plans for cyborg or mechanical NPC\'s?

I\'m hoping that everything you encounter will be mysterious in some way, and even when you get used to the general variation, sometimes you\'ll run into something very unusual that you\'ve never seen before. Technology gives us a vast advantage over those who do not employ it, but one should never underestimate the creativity of \"simpler\" things over a reasonable span of time.

As for cyborgs/mechanical NPCs, that could certainly be something further down the line. I was thinking about and playing around with the idea yesterday, actually.

So theoretically I could have my big ships overrun by some being that can eat through to the core, kill me and take control? If that did happen, It would have to be extremely rare

Always plan ahead and be prepared for the unexpected. I doubt anything like that would be a common risk, but keep your eye out for problems that are less obvious when they start. I am always in support of options, so something like this would probably be something you could disable if it bothered you.

Also, if there\'s anything in the future that can start spreading on a ship, even a live one, to then take it over: First of all I don\'t think you have to worry about it going THROUGH the hull, more like trying to find gaps in your design or doors and creep in. I especially doubt anything would be able to get through a 2 meter/block thick hull, so a little extra \"padding\" might keep you safe. Second of all, something like that is not likely to be able to move quickly and would instead rely on sheer biomass. If you know it\'s there, it probably wouldn\'t be hard to take appropriate measures to deal with it, and it\'d be kind of hard to miss something growing across half your exterior hull, though people always slip up sometimes.... (All of this is speculation on mechanics; do not consider it a representation of any final feature, simply my personal thoughts on how such a feature would be implemented.)

Legolas also brings up a good point. Your shields would likely keep any intrusive living thing from breaking in without working for it. If your shields were draining for no obvious reason and such invasive creatures were present in the universe, it might be time to take a look at your exterior hull to make sure nothing is trying to get into your ship.

... goes into unshielded spaceships and takes over it, if given enough time, they will take over the ship, replacing blocks with their own organic material. Instead of a core, it\'d have a Brain, thoughts?

Interesting... very interesting. That might be a big project and not feasible for a while, but I\'ll think about it. Organic constructions mimicking ships would be a delightfully interesting enemy to encounter. The \"brain instead of core\" thing I find particularly interesting, and very creepy in concept.

I now realize that given the planets we have, and the somewhat clumsy player controls, aiming for a Metroid-style experience on the planet is equally problematic...

The planets are certainly an issue, but hopefully the player controls/mechanics can be made a lot less clumsy before throwing things like deadly aliens at you. ;)

Reaction score
    about customizable mechs like the one in Aliens? Or a Thor/SCV from starcraft.