Creatures

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    maby some creatures on planets, or some who are flying in space would be fun.

Reaction score
    I just hope hostile creatures don\'t aapear in the dark like Minecraft.

My ships has dark areas and I don\'t use Undeathinators.

What critters would you like to see?

mou

Reaction score
    hostile primitives creatures would be fun to see on some planets

Reaction score
    critters that fly through space possibly hostile or like space whales

Reaction score
    Aren\'t they planned to be on planets and stations?

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I see boarding parties, and weapon upgrades in the future. :3

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    anoying rats that will eat your station blocks a d gonna make theyr own home from eaten blocks (on the same station) that would happen only if station is abandoned for too long time.

Reaction score
    Or space worms.

(Starwars reference anyone :D)

Sorry, but space worms are always first and foremost mascots of the Dune universe. He who controls the spice controls the universe.

I just hope hostile creatures don\'t aapear in the dark like Minecraft.

While I can\'t extrapolate on the exact specifics of why creatures would be where - you\'ll find out when the time comes - mobs spawning due to low light is a Minecraft-specific behavior and there is no reason to assume it would carry over into another game. I don\'t really see any logical reason why a place without light would suddenly have alien life, especially if it\'s enclosed and anything even borderline cleaned. Aliens aren\'t magic. They aren\'t going to \"spawn\" (randomly appear) inside your ship just because you turned the lights off in your bathroom.

anoying rats that will eat your station blocks a d gonna make theyr own home from eaten blocks (on the same station) that would happen only if station is abandoned for too long time.

Hmm. Pests that infest derelict space-ships/stations? Interesting thought. Not saying it\'ll happen or exactly what it would be, but I do like the idea of finding an old abandoned station/ship that\'s been infested with pest-like aliens. Though I\'d rather not have people who leave for a little while come back to find their station (which was perfectly inhabited and in use in their mind) infested just because they hadn\'t been in the sector recently enough, or any other arbitrary and annoying reason. That sort of thing would have to be handled very carefully. What counts as a \"derelict\" might be difficult to determine in a seamless way.

Suggestions for creatures are always welcome, people. :) I have plenty of ideas of my own, but inspiration is extremely valuable. Just remember that more outrageous, new or unusual ideas are much less likely to be possible.

Reaction score
    Well, new/unusual creatures aren\'t necessarily a bad thing. They\'d give the game a more unique character. Look at what creepers did for Minecraft.

Some random thoughts:

• Some kind of giant organism made of blocks that spawns hostile creature eggs, like a living hive. It would be really cool if this stuff spread over time and corrupted whole planets if left unchecked. The purple tentacle worlds look like they could fit the bill just fine.
    • Space leviathans. Enough said. Bonus points if you can walk/build on them.
    • If creatures are randomly generated with modular parts, some kind of genetic engineering lab so we can make armies of our own.

Reaction score
    what will the A.I be like will it be smart or will it try to follow you into a 2x1 space ETC.

and a kind of passive/tameable ailien would be cool to help protect you

Reaction score
    Some kind of mechanism for capturing and keeping creatures in captivity. I wouldn\'t mind starting up a zoo of sorts...

Reaction score
    Random creature thoughts

Well, new/unusual creatures aren\'t necessarily a bad thing. They\'d give the game a more unique character. Look at what creepers did for Minecraft.

Some random thoughts:

• Some kind of giant organism made of blocks that spawns hostile creature eggs, like a living hive. It would be really cool if this stuff spread over time and corrupted whole planets if left unchecked. The purple tentacle worlds look like they could fit the bill just fine.
    • Space leviathans. Enough said. Bonus points if you can walk/build on them.
    • If creatures are randomly generated with modular parts, some kind of genetic engineering lab so we can make armies of our own.

True; creepers became an icon for Minecraft. However, though they\'re unusual in shape, their behavior is incredibly simple; move to player, hiss, explode. It\'s complex and unusual function that\'s more of an issue, not complex or unusual appearance.

For numbers 1 and 2, I wonder if it would be possible to have living blocks... that might solve both issues, though the second one might be more complex to do well. I\'ll give that further thought and talk to Schema about it, though I wouldn\'t expect anything like it anytime soon.

For number 3, we already have systems for breaking the core components of the universe apart and reassembling them into different results. (Cubatoms) While I can\'t make any promises or reveal any details, it seems only logical that creatures will also be subject to user customization or interference.

what will the A.I be like will it be smart or will it try to follow you into a 2x1 space ETC.

and a kind of passive/tameable ailien would be cool to help protect you

Schema\'s video on pathfinding AI shows a two block tall and one block wide creature would be able to chase you to hell and back. But this is Schema we\'re talking about: he wouldn\'t design the system with only humanoid shapes in mind. I\'d say anywhere an alien can fit, it can chase you, and not all aliens are the same size. As for human NPCs, I wouldn\'t expect them to be able to chase you in any method that you can\'t chase them, but new animations may open up new possibilities. No promises!

Schema mentioned maybe being able to command NPCs. I wouldn\'t be surprised if creatures could also be subject to this kind of player relationship. The future is full of possibilities.

Another Thought

Some kind of mechanism for capturing and keeping creatures in captivity. I wouldn\'t mind starting up a zoo of sorts...

As mentioned above, the AI for the creatures will likely be as flexible as that of NPCs, and while the exact specifics of that kind of feature I\'m uncertain of, I don\'t see any reason why making a zoo wouldn\'t be possible. (At least sometime in the future.) Or if future game mechanics allow them to be bioengineered, your creepy evil scientist lair.

Just have a hostile creature that can fit into a 1x1x1 space.

Exact specifics of everything are still very subject to change. That being said, what fun would it be if there wasn\'t some pest-like thing that would exploit every crack in your ship or building\'s design? ;) Whether or not that creature would really demonstrate pest-like behavior I don\'t know, but I think it\'s a safe bet that I\'ll try to make it possible to encounter creatures that can fit in 1x1x1 spaces.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    For numbers 1 and 2, I wonder if it would be possible to have living blocks... that might solve both issues, though the second one might be more complex to do well. I\'ll give that further thought and talk to Schema about it, though I wouldn\'t expect anything like it anytime soon.

I know this isn\'t exactly what you meant, but now I\'m picturing a bi-pedal rock monster ala Galaxy Quest, made out of blocks.